Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Why does there have to be a meaning?
Why Not?
Old 08-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

The meaning I give my life is to try to better myself, better my home, better my relationships, better everything! I certainly don't always succeed, but that's what gets me feeling useful and meaningful.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Dam, I try to make sure the deepest thought I have on any given day be something like, should I go swimming before or after I play golf? If I really get deep, it would be something like, which way should I put in a new roll of toilet paper, so the paper comes out over the top or from around the back and out the bottom of the roll? I’ll leave the meaning of life to Monty Python.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Dam, I try to make sure the deepest thought I have on any given day be something like, should I go swimming before or after I play golf? If I really get deep, it would be something like, which way should I put in a new roll of toilet paper, so the paper comes out over the top or from around the back and out the bottom of the roll? I’ll leave the meaning of life to Monty Python.
The toilet paper should always come out over the top, not from the back. One practical reason for this is that the dog cannot grab the end and run around the house. Another reason is that it is the correct way to do it.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
The smartest people in the world tell us life has no meaning; it's just the end result of an absurdly huge number of absurdly fortunate coincidences.

The smartest people in the world also tell us that every particle in the universe is merely a "wave" of possible mathematical solutions to its location in the universe, until it is observed. In other words, the universe cannot exist without an observer.

The smartest people in the world claim that this somehow proves that God does not exist. I wish I could explain that part, but I am not that smart.

I just find it odd that it apparently never occurs to the smartest people in the world that a solution to the observer problem could be that God is, in fact, the only reality; and the Universe is nothing more than God's thoughts -- which would also explain the absurd chain of coincidences necessary for our universe to exist.

If God exists, and we are nothing more than God's thoughts, then the meaning of life must be entertainment -- God's.
I don't view it as coincidences, but as probability. If you flip a coin 100 times, there is a very low probability that you will get 100 heads. But, if you flip the coin a trillion times, you are virtually guaranteed to get 100 heads in a row at least once.

The earth is 5 billion years old, but intelligent life has only existed for about 150,000 years. One reason that intelligent life is unlikely on another planet within our galaxy is that many of the planets in the galaxy cannot exist long enough for intelligent life to evolve. They are located in a congested area where they are destroyed by being bombarded by other larger objects. It takes millions of years with stable environmental conditions for life to evolve into an intelligent life form.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:09 PM

Attempting to take "me" out of the question.

We are here. This is now. The choice is yours as to what to do next.

You will act or react to just about everything you will experience. Most of the time, I find it's better to act than react unless you've had a tremendous amount of training (like EMTs and such).
Old 08-15-2022, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't view it as coincidences, but as probability. If you flip a coin 100 times, there is a very low probability that you will get 100 heads. But, if you flip the coin a trillion times, you are virtually guaranteed to get 100 heads in a row at least once.

The earth is 5 billion years old, but intelligent life has only existed for about 150,000 years. One reason that intelligent life is unlikely on another planet within our galaxy is that many of the planets in the galaxy cannot exist long enough for intelligent life to evolve. They are located in a congested area where they are destroyed by being bombarded by other larger objects. It takes millions of years with stable environmental conditions for life to evolve into an intelligent life form.
Are we an intelligent life form? Sometimes I wonder.

Find it hard to believe that you are virtually guaranteed to get 100 heads in a row out of a trillion times/
Old 08-15-2022, 10:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Are we an intelligent life form? Sometimes I wonder.

Find it hard to believe that you are virtually guaranteed to get 100 heads in a row out of a trillion times/
My bad. Actually, the odds of flipping 100 heads in a row is 1 in 1,300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

I am an engineer, not a mathematician.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Why Not?
It is impossible to prove a negative, so I can't answer your question
Old 08-16-2022, 01:50 AM

Michael Behe offers some great insight into "Intelligent Design" and not Darwins Theory of Evolution. Behe (I think) does a great job of explaining irreducible complexity and how at its core becomes an argument against evolution. From Wikipdia..........Irreducible complexity (IC) is the argument that certain biological systems cannot have evolved by successive small modifications to pre-existing functional systems through natural selection, because no less complex system would function. Think of a mousetrap, you have roughly 7 parts of which none are unique or extravagant. If all parts are not created at the same time or if you are missing a part you do not have a working system.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Why does there have to be a meaning?
Because some/many need a reason for their existence, ego trip
Old 08-16-2022, 04:48 AM
Platinum member
Default To be or not to be

A soaring eagle surveys her kingdom below, she looks up and sees a few passenger planes cris crossing her sky carrying thousands to their destinations and their goals. She is clueless as to what she is observing.
That is us. The meaning of life is to live yours, by your own choice, as either a positive, negative or neutral factor in this universe.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

Earth is on only one Galaxy among the 500 million galaxies . Each with at least 500 million stars meaning there's something like 10 billion trillion potential Earthes, so statistically they might be 1 million more places where there is life, maybe not as we define it but conscious beings. Just go to the beach one day and try to count each grain of sand on just your one beach and remember there's hundreds of other beaches. Same thing with stars and planets and galaxies. Remember that there are an expansion of galaxies and sons being born every day most of which are definitely over 5 million years old since we are looking at the light over 15 million years in light years.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

The meaning of life is not to have more toys or more money or a trophy wife or a husband. But it is to leave this world a better place in any way possible. Whether you collect clothes for the homeless or contribute money or have taught your children well to hold doors open for people
Old 08-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Default Play hard, pray hard, finish well

Play hard, pray hard, finish
well.

Hi,
you have made it this far in life and are getting closer to total consciousness. It is time to ask the million dollar question....what is the meaning of life? Not your life as YOU have given it its meaning.[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread

Tags
life, meaning, million, dollar, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.