Defective Shingles

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Default Defective Shingles

After replacing some shingles from the last heavy wind storm, I asked the roofer to walk the entire roof and do an inspection. He comes to me and says the shingles are not sealing properly and I should contact CertainTeed and file a claim which I have done. The home is 3 years old and I never heard of this type of failure. My question is if anyone else has experienced this failure and what was the final outcome? The roofer (to be named later if needed) was no help at all and would not put it in writing for me to present to CertainTeed.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

This has happened in the Villages before. Make sure you call home warranty... they may help you out (and maybe not). Was the roofer who did the checking the one who did the original install?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky4840 View Post
After replacing some shingles from the last heavy wind storm, I asked the roofer to walk the entire roof and do an inspection. He comes to me and says the shingles are not sealing properly and I should contact CertainTeed and file a claim which I have done. The home is 3 years old and I never heard of this type of failure. My question is if anyone else has experienced this failure and what was the final outcome? The roofer (to be named later if needed) was no help at all and would not put it in writing for me to present to CertainTeed.
It happened to me on my house in Hillsborough. I filed the claim, it was of course denied. Got home warranty department involved and about 2 months later, Certainteed paid to have the whole roof hand sealed (with tar). The people in the Warranty department were incredibly helpful. This is the exact same problem I had.

BTW- the home warranty people don't seem to catch this - I have told everyone to get up on their roof and check BEFORE their one year warranty is up.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 AM

Yes. I did contact home warranty and they did help me get a direct contact at CertainTeed to set up an inspection by their people.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Great topic. We check every roof for this, and other shingle issues. The problem is, some defects do not always appear right away. Granule loss can sometimes show up, but other times do not always show up for a few years.

That being said, when you walk on over 600 roofs a year, you usually can always find or even "feel" on your feet a roof that is an anomaly.

The problem with checking for shingles sealing is that that it is difficult to check HOW sealed they are. Typically, if a shingle is sealed we cannot lift them up with our fingers....they are well stuck to the shingle below, as designed. We do not take a pry bar and check the seal...that would "break" the seal and be invasive.

You can also have times where the shingles have sealed, but a major windstorm can "break the seal".

In short, we check multiple shingles for a good seal on every side of the roof. 99% of the time, they are found well sealed.

Hope this helps!

Frank
Old 08-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Default Certainteed shingles warranty issue

I am trying to find out if anyone was made application under the roof warranty for cleaning the mold/mildew/algae off their Certainteed shingles. We purchased our home in 2016 and are the second owners of the home. On Aug 5, 2019, we received a group email from one of our neighbors regarding a warranty issue with the shingles. It recommended if we had stains on our roof shingles, we should contact the warranty office to find out the process of filing a warranty claim for having the shingles cleaned. Now, mind you, we purchased our home almost three years ago with no indication there was even a warranty problem with the shingles. So I filed a claim with Certainteed and received a disapproval as we had exceeded the term limits of our warranty. (see attached letter). I am very interested in finding out when this algae issue first appeared, who knew, what was done and why has it been such a secret. We have had other homeowners in our Village (Buttonwood) filing warranty claims and have had their roofs cleaned free of charge at the manufacturers expense. Anyone with any info regarding this warranty issue, we would appreciate all you can provide. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CR0825451_08092019_RES1.pdf (441.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

My home is 8 years old recent storms have blown of some shingles and its' not the first time this is the third time in the past 4 years. Kind of getting old
So far no water has made it in Is it o late to file a claim where do I start ?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 PM
Platinum member

If your home is under 10 years old call the warranty dept and they will clean it free. This is done only once at no charge up to 10 years old.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:19 AM
Gold member

We live in Gilchrist and the homes are 5-6 yrs old. Our roof is black, and it looks to be in good condition. Meanwhile we see roofs that are grey or tan that have horrible staining. It looks like huge drips from the top of the gable, often going to the edge of the roof. I have to wonder if ours simply doesn't show the damage because of the color. So many of the homes the same age as ours have this severe discoloration, but as I said, it is most easily seen on the lighter roofs.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:48 AM

This is not just TV. It is all over the northeast. It is algae, i have been using "wet and forget" for a few years, power shot. Does a great job but takes time to work. Tried it on my birdcage cover last year.
Closed Thread

Tags
shingles, roofer, certainteed, failure, experienced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.