Defibrillators: To be or not to be resuscited

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Sage

Me again. trained for a few hours in cpr and defib. I am not an expert in DNR or CPR and you'll be lucky to live if I get your case as I'm no pro. However, it would take a clear case of hopelessness for me to NOT revive, like maybe you weigh 50 pounds and obviously at death's door and your DNR is on the fridge, signed 5 years ago.

I have personally known two cases in FLorida where family members wanted the elder dead for financial gain, and were successful at not having them resuscitated. That is about as ugly as humanity gets.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I disagree. I have talked about longevity many many times on this website, and my desire to live to 100+ in good health, and no one ever said they thought it was a good idea to live longer - not one person! All comments were to the effect that I should not prolong the inevitable, that we all have to die sooner or later. And I was talking about living longer in good health!

So here we are, talking about someone who is in such bad health that they have a DNR order signed by a doctor. Under that circumstance would you take it upon yourself to resusitate? Why would you think they want to live longer if they have a DNR order.

If there is a known DNR, I would not resuscitate, respecting a previously considered decision. If there is no known DNR, I would go with the presumption of the will to live, and attempt resuscitation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.