Dent removal

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 05:20 AM
Default Dent removal

My whirlpool stainless steel fridge door sustained a nickel sized dent right on the front of the door where it is most visible. Is there a service that can remove the dent? Anyone else ever had this problem? Fridge is 2 years old. I don't know how to post pics.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

You probably need to buy a new outer door panel. There are several online websites that sell Whirlpool parts. One is appliancepartspros.com, or you can buy it directly from Whirlpool. I think the panel is too thin to be able to repair a dent.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
My whirlpool stainless steel fridge door sustained a nickel sized dent right on the front of the door where it is most visible. Is there a service that can remove the dent? Anyone else ever had this problem? Fridge is 2 years old. I don't know how to post pics.
One way of repairing dents is a suction cup that more-than-covers the dent. Air is then sucked out through the valve on the suction cup, forming a partial vacuum, and air pressure on the other side of the door pops the dent out.

Often used to remove dents in car doors, but I haven't seen such a device in the stores (but then I haven't been looking for one).
Old 09-21-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
One way of repairing dents is a suction cup that more-than-covers the dent. Air is then sucked out through the valve on the suction cup, forming a partial vacuum, and air pressure on the other side of the door pops the dent out.

Often used to remove dents in car doors, but I haven't seen such a device in the stores (but then I haven't been looking for one).
You can buy a suction dent tool on Amazon. It may be worth a try, but a car door has much thicker metal. I would be skeptical about getting a good result on a refrigerator door. The refrigerator door panel is very thin and has a foam or plastic backing.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I learned how to "shrink" metal when working on cars, but the method I used would not work on a refrigerator door. IMHO, I would buy a decorative magnetic sticker and place it over the dent. Even if you were able to find a service to flatten the dent it will be very hard to match the brushed finish.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Oh for goodness sake, just put a magnetic hook above the dent, and hang a dishtowel from the hook. Less work, less expense, much more functional.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Oh for goodness sake, just put a magnetic hook above the dent, and hang a dishtowel from the hook. Less work, less expense, much more functional.
I agree, but it is amazing how much less a store will sell a refrigerator for that has a small dent on it. Some people (like me) are very picky. I would never buy an appliance with a dent.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I didn't think magnets stuck to stainless steel?
Old 09-21-2021, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
It depends. Most of the newer refrigerators will hold a magnet. But, there are some older refrigerators that were made with more nickel in the metal, which results in the metal not holding a magnet.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-22-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Look under Paintless Dent Repair 32162 on google. You'll find plenty of people who do this in the villages. Advertised for auto but bet they can handle a fridge.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:42 AM

If you wanted to try to remove the dent yourself, you can buy the suction tools from Harbor Tools, in Leesburg. Look at some video on U Tube. The comments above are worth considering when it comes to the type of metal and its makeup. If you are going to purchase a new skin, you can count on it being very expensive and then you have to install it. In the end you might want to just put a magnet, sticker or a picture of a grandchild over the damage. May be an appliance repair may have a solution.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Dent removal

Quote:
There are people or companies that do paintless dent removal or repair on cars. They would need access to the inside of the door. On a car they drill a small hole to get their tools in and then plug the hole after the repair. That should work on a refrigerator. The tools allow them to work the metal back into place removing the dent without damaging the finish on the door.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
We had that issue in another house. I bought a starfish shell and glued a magnet on the back. It took care of hiding the small dent and looked really nice. It was the only magnet on the fridge.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
As others have said not all stainless steel is the same. For that matter not all stainless steel is as stainless as others. Easy and simple test. Find a magnet and see if it sticks.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:00 AM

Heat the spot with a hair dryer then rub a ice cube in and around the dent might pop it out.
Closed Thread

Tags
dent, fridge, door, problem, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.