Design center

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Default Design center

Hello,

Is the design center (when you are building) where you plan on extending a room or adding a golf cart garage? To what extent are changes allowed? I know you can upgrade materials, but what about altering a kitchen layout, adding a non-load bearing wall, or increasing window sizes? I was wondering if anyone would like to share their experience with the design center, what requests were accepted or rejected, that sort of thing.

Thanks

Loren
Old 07-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Yes to all of your questions. However, you can save some time by working with whomever helped you buy the lot on which you'll be building. For example, it will save time if before you meet with the design consultant, that you pick out the base model that you;ll be starting from. eg.. are you doing a designer ? Which model ? Then work with your villages agent to discuss extensions / modifications. He / she can and should be taking you through the model homes and spec homes in McClure / DeSoto area to get ideas for changes that have already been made.

We are currently in the latter stages of design / pricing.. we started with a base plan, found a for sale home that had been modified with some features we liked and hadn't seen before, did some more stretching.. and then started with selections. Compared to what we heard previously, changes in floor plans and with selections are much more accepted today. However, be prepared .. the process is daunting. My wife just spent a full week at the design center going through the process.. and still isnt done. If I was there with her, WE would have gotten 60% LESS done. By the way, the design consultant was outstanding.. extremely knowledgeable, professional and patient.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:14 PM

We built the end of last year, ideally you should know the model and what stretches you want before buying the lot. Nothing worse than buying a lot and finding out the stretches you want don’t fit. When we were designing we were thinking about moving a front bedroom to the back, moving the kitchen up and creating a breakfast nook. Design did a mock up of what it would look like and said there would be no charge for the changes since we would still be in the same house footprint. I suspect adding walls could be done but would cost more for adding a wall. Not sure about changing the window sizes. Ask your sales representatives to check with design.
Closed Thread

Tags
design, center, adding, wall, increasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.