Updated my GPS

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Sage
Default Updated my GPS

I'm sure many know about it, but in case you are slow like me, Garmin 2011 update has the new Villages in the map. I live in Buttonwood and finally can can use Home as my actual address, and see maps of the neighborhood.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 PM

I just fried my Magellan GPS so had to do a quick replacement without much time for research. What little I did led me to the Garmin 1450LMT with lifetime map and traffic updates. There are more expensive models and brands, there are also less expensive, but the lifetime (4X a year) map updates was important to me as it cost $70 a year for the Magellan. Got a price off of internet, was going to stop by this morning and purchase replacement, lo and behold today's sales ad knocked 60-70 $ off, so all the better. The research I did seem to be pretty convincing, we'll see how it works out.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I'm sure many know about it, but in case you are slow like me, Garmin 2011 update has the new Villages in the map. I live in Buttonwood and finally can can use Home as my actual address, and see maps of the neighborhood.
Does it have all of Buttonwood? I live on Gasparilla off of Triggerfish and my car's nav system did not have any info after St. Charles and Pennycamp. I may now be tempted to upgrade my software.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 01-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Does it have all of Buttonwood? I live on Gasparilla off of Triggerfish and my car's nav system did not have any info after St. Charles and Pennycamp. I may now be tempted to upgrade my software.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 AM
Platinum member

I don't have the computer adaptor needed to update my Garmin. Once I return to TV next month hopefully, I can save a few $$$ and borrow one from another Villager.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I don't have the computer adaptor needed to update my Garmin. Once I return to TV next month hopefully, I can save a few $$$ and borrow one from another Villager.
Hi Tom.

I updated my Garmin about a year ago so I know I have the correct cable somewhere. It's not lost, I just don't know where it is at the moment. I will find it however.

Let me know with a PM when you get back and I'll be glad to loan it to you.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Default Garmin USB adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Tom, if you have a usb adapter for your camera or Nook or like devise it should work on the garmin.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Triggerfish and Gasparilla (Had that in Tampa last weekend) are on my Garmin. It is 2.8 miles from my house. Just updated maps last night.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakk View Post
Tom, if you have a usb adapter for your camera or Nook or like devise it should work on the garmin.
Thanks for the tip AJ. My Garmin is in Florida. I am in NY. I'll bring the adaptor with me anyway because my wife is always taking pictures. And if the adaptor doesn't fit I'll borrow one from Dan. The great thing with TOTV is everyone steps up.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Triggerfish and Gasparilla (Had that in Tampa last weekend) are on my Garmin. It is 2.8 miles from my house. Just updated maps last night.
Great. I live on Kincord between Gasparilla and Triggerfish. my best friends live in Poinciena which is 1.8 miles away. Just one block past the intersection of St. Charles and Bailey Trail
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum member

Just in case you haven't heard of this - Do not put your actual home address in as HOME on your portable GPS. There are some unscrupulous people out there that will steal it and check out where HOME is and go there when you aren't there. We put in somewhere that will get us close to where we can find our way. I think we have TooJays on Canal St set as HOME.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Just in case you haven't heard of this - Do not put your actual home address in as HOME on your portable GPS. There are some unscrupulous people out there that will steal it and check out where HOME is and go there when you aren't there. We put in somewhere that will get us close to where we can find our way. I think we have TooJays on Canal St set as HOME.
Or I've heard of some who will use their actual address but assign it a location descriptor of something other than HOME.

Bill
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Tom I have an adapter, you can just trot across the street and get it
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default The Dreaded Dumb question

How do you update your Garmin? I have so many cables around here I must have one that will work.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
How do you update your Garmin? I have so many cables around here I must have one that will work.
Look for a cable that has a USB on one end that plugs in your computer and the other end that's the same as the garmin cable that's in your car to charge the garmin.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.