A Designer Home or Courtyard Villa?

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Plan A changed to Plan B...& back to Plan A!

I had originally planned on a Designer home but after reading TOTV, it was recommended that if you have a dawg and will be a snowflake, a CYV would be the way to go. Guilty for both!

At my first visit, I told my sales rep that I would look at CYV's. I originally came for the Lifestyle Preview and was put up in a CYV. I walked in the CYV and knew almost instantly that it wasn't for me. I felt way too enclosed.

Back to Plan A ....look at Designer homes. I found the perfect lot and now have the perfect house. The dawg is used to being leashed and I have a lovely view.

I would recommend that you stay a few days in a CYV. You will know whether or not it's for you.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post

At my first visit, I told my sales rep that I would look at CYV's. I originally came for the Lifestyle Preview and was put up in a CYV. I walked in the CYV and knew almost instantly that it wasn't for me. I felt way too enclosed.
Some people do feel too enclosed in a "normal" CYV - I felt the same way as Swimdawg, too enclosed. You might want to consider a CYV on a view lot, where the back fence is only a few feet high.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I asked this question four years ago, someone answered, get as much space as you can comfortably afford...particularly in your garage. It is not only your garage, but your basement and your extra storage.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Sage

In considering the models in out quest to find the right abode for for us we tried to keep in perspective what we're trying to accomplish.

I have a 2800' home in NY now, toooooo big toooo much maintenance on over 1 acre( U know a sit down mower).

I want to chill out and and play but not play on my home.

The CYV is like being enclosed in city walls, I'm not letting my dog out to run, an alligator may be waiting I know its remote but it can happen, also why would I spend money based on a pet (I love my dog to know end but....I'll keep him on a long leash).

We are focusing on a patio villa or a cottage "sand dollar"

2 bedrooms are more than enough, in fact I would take 1/1 if the resale didn't hurt it so bad.

My 3 kids & 7 grand kids may visit once a year so should i spend 20-50K extra for that?

I can put them up in an hotel for many years for a lot less.

So when the right one comes along between now and the fall I'll buy.

But I'll buy a retirement home not a home to raise my kids, been there done that.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Veteran member

So many good points. We're not going to buy large enough for the what if's that visit. It's so true that you need to find the right fit for your lifestyle as you age. I really don't want to deal with a lot of lawn maintenance again. The designers are small enough to handle. I've had enough of the treed 1/2 acre to deal with plus snow. I guess it really comes down to how much space do you want to house your stuff? Or, would you rather get rid of the stuff, and find a home large enough for your daily lifestyle. My wife has no problem moving with just a suit case in hand. I'm still parting with my 30 years of treasures as we speak. It's been tough, but I feel like I'm shedding each time something goes out the door...I start to feel lighter and closer to our move. At least I know that we are getting near the day of deciding which home and where. It's always good to talk to others and get their viewpoints and their experiences. Advice is always welcome.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Sage

We're starting to sell stuff on ebay and Craigs list, over the next few months we hope to cut down on what we move to FL
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I am on my fifth bag tonight or things going to the thrift shop. We are downsizing like crazy before our villa move. When I stayed at our new home in TV a few weeks ago, I had an air mattress, two camping chairs, and a stack of boxed flooring that I sat on at the kitchen island. I had nothing to cook with. I bought some juice and yogurt and canned cold coffee and vodka and tonic, and ate out for my meals the rest of the time. I lived with almost nothing except the clothes and accessories and few towels, etc I brought that I needed for my daily needs. It was great, I missed nothing and even was lent a golf cart from one of the salespeople at the LSL Villages Golf Cart Store. We have so much here in Seattle, and yet I could not think of anything special I wanted with me. Maybe some things to cook with, sit on, and glassess and dishes, but I even bought paper plates and cups. Free yourself, it is good for the soul! Villa or home, you cannot take all your possessions with you and if they are boxed up now, they probably are not coming out later when you move!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Smile Mission Hills

I had a designer home under contract to build but then I saw CYV at Mission Hills and the water view. The layout was very similar to the Designer. It has a large two car garage that had been stretched so no issue with vehicles and a workbench! Only part time now but LOVE the decision I made. You must contact Brian Arango,Brian.Arango@thevillages.com, who helped me do the switch all by e-mail, floor plans and pictures. I closed without even laying eyes on the house itself. It worked because he understood just want I needed. No regrets
Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Gold member

Love it, I think we have four votes for Mission Hills! I know we are thrilled that we bought there, and with changing the lanai to a Florida room and adding a big birdcage, we have plenty of room for the two of us and it can be tolerable for short term visitors, which is all we would want anyway!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Most people are very happy with their choices.

When the view lots were released for our village they all sold in two hours. We weren't ready to act because we had two properties. When we sold them, rather quickly, thank goodness, we had the choice of the three lots remaining. I am happy with our lot and so are my two cabinmates.

Most people love their choice and their village. BUT no matter what it is, here or anywhere, there will always be the disenchanted.

It is just human nature.

Now with these newfangled things like internet forums we can hear just HOW disenchanted these anonymous folks are. Yep we can.

And the same people are always down about something or mad about something or think someone is putting something over on them. Then there are the deleriously stupid happy like me.

It takes all kinds.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Just wanted to thank all for all the info. Now it looks like we are leaning towards a CYV. I love the designers, but would love to have rock gardens and no grass. THANKS
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Gold member

New ones going up for sale at the Haciendas at Mission Hills, on the view side down Avecilla there is one for sale at the $320 range (much less than the others on the view side) and it is because the lots are smaller and I am not sure about how the full view is as I am not there. The one I saw on line for sale in a Wyndham, one of the most popular view side models, and is almost 1800 sq ft. Maybe you want to look at it or the others being built beside it! Also other new ones not on the view side which I am sure are much less and gorgeous!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
New ones going up for sale at the Haciendas at Mission Hills, on the view side down Avecilla there is one for sale at the $320 range (much less than the others on the view side) and it is because the lots are smaller and I am not sure about how the full view is as I am not there. The one I saw on line for sale in a Wyndham, one of the most popular view side models, and is almost 1800 sq ft. Maybe you want to look at it or the others being built beside it! Also other new ones not on the view side which I am sure are much less and gorgeous!
THANKS, we're currently Craiglisting, donating, and giving away our 30 years of stuff. It's looking good. Wanted to have very little when we show our house, and make the move. We now look at an item and say, "do we reallly want to move it?" The answer is nope. I'm anxious to see the new ones in Mission Hills.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyGirl View Post
The two car garage and golf cart garage were very important to us. The hubby needs space to fix and fiddle with things. It's his man cave!
Me too. Plus, most of the CYVs have the laundry in the garage. I need that space for my toys and Cherie doesn't want to be in a hot/cold garage while shoveling laundry in and out.

If you get the CYVs with inside laundry, they are about the same price as designers. CYVs have their advantages, though. You just have to decide which is best for you. We rented a CYV in January to see how we liked it. You might try that, too.

You'll want to consider location as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Gold member

Our laundry is in its own room in our CYV at the Haciendas at Mission Hills. The garage has a utility sink tucked in the corner.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.