Designer Vs Ranch home

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts
Default Designer Vs Ranch home

Does anyone know "The Villages" official definition of Designer Vs Ranch home. I have been told numerious definitons such as
1 - three bedroom vs two
2 - stuco Vs siding
3 - block Vs stick
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Does anyone know "The Villages" official definition of Designer Vs Ranch home. I have been told numerious definitons such as
1 - three bedroom vs two
2 - stuco Vs siding
3 - block Vs stick
Some designers are about the same size as ranches which are in fact now called ...cottages. There are a few more finishing touches that come with designers.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-30-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,000 Times in 1,200 Posts

There are no stucco ranches. I believe the official designation was when you
could built and design your own home. For instance and amarillo is a ranch and a bouganville is a designer with the same floor plan.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
1 - three bedroom vs two
2 - stuco Vs siding
3 - block Vs stick
None of those definitions are accurate. It's the layout. You can see the various layouts for each type of home here: The Villages - New Homes Gallery

You'll notice that they actually don't have any new 'ranch' homes.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Ranch homes were recently replaced by "cottage" homes.
The Amarillo ranch is now called the "sunkissed" cottage.
Same home...different name.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Gold member
Default Some truth to all

and probably only some in this post.

Yes - "ranches" were replaced with "cottages." Ranches were always vinyl sided. Designers were are are sometimes stucco, sometimes vinyl. I think all designers have at least 2 car garages, some have that plus a golf car garage and a minority have 3 car garages. Same with ranches-cottages.

There used to be 2 and 3 bedroom "designers." Have only seen 3 bedroom recently. There are still 2 and 3 bedroom "cottages." Sq footage of the smallest designers are about equal to the larger "cottages," and as some said, at least one floor plan is the same.

The bonds for designers and ranches and cottages are the same. Based on density of neighborhood (think average lot sq footage).

No one asked, but I can see this coming, so I'll add:

Courtyard Villas (newer ones) are all either 2 or 3 bedroom, multiple floor plans. Nearer Spanish Springs, I believe there are a few one bedroom ones. Don't think they started building 3 br CYVs until they started building in the areas around Mulberry and Savannah regional rec centers.

Most CYVs have 1-1/2 car garages, although a minority have 2 car garages.

Some 3 BR CYVs have more sq footage than several of the smaller designers.

Patio villas are all 1 or 2 bedrooms, although I haven't seen any newer 1 bedroom ones. I believe all have 1-1/2 car garages.

Bonds for CYVs and patio villas, in the same development district, are the same.

Premiers are larger, now in their own neighborhoods, and have higher bonds. In some of the older neighborhoods in Spanish Springs, some of the premiers are mixed in to other neighborhoods, or a least a couple of blocks or street of them here and there, from what I have noticed - and I could be wrong on this one.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

When we bought 8-9 years ago, the difference the salespeople told us was that with the designer you had more options to "change" the structure, move doorways, enlarge rooms etc. Therefore you actually had some input in designing your home. The ranchers were much more restricted, not many options for change.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Gold member
Default options change all the time

when things were really hot, in 2006-07, don't think they were allowing any changes for a while in designers - slowed them down too much. Now I think they do allow changes in designers. Don't think they ever have in CYVs or patio villas. Not sure about cottages, but you are probably right. For now. . . .
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Sage

The Amarillo is the same floor plan of the Sunkissed, however is a bit larger and may have some updates on it depending on the house. I think it may have 2 walkin closets vs one in the master. It also may have a door in the guest bedroom out onto the lanai. We viewed one when looking for our house (Sunkissed) and it had ALL updates. Two sinks in the master bath, maybe granite for counter tops and more.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

One thing to consider when choosing between a designer or a cottage/ranch home is the neighborhood. Neighborhoods within a village will usually be either all patio villa - all cyv - all ranch - or all designer. If you choose a lower end designer, you will be surrounded by designer homes. If you choose an upper end cottage/ranch, you will be surrounded by cottage/ranch homes, etc. As you drive through various neighborhoods it will become obvious that, for the most part, designer neighborhoods have not only somewhat nicer homes, but often, nicer landscaping. There are two reasons in my opinion; 1. The designers are by and large more expensive, meaning a slightly more affluent demographic with more money to spend on landscaping. 2. As the price of homes increase, the proportion that are full-time, non-rental tend to increase, so a somewhat greater proportional pride of ownership. This is my theory from observation, and certainly would not be 100% true of all neighborhoods, but as a general rule, I would stand by it. We stayed this year in a designer neighborhood in Hemingway, and last year in a ranch neighborhood in Summerhill - while we enjoyed both, and could live in either neighborhood, the contrast was clear, with the Hemingway neighborhood appearing miles ahead of the Summerhill neighborhood in overall appearance. Just another thing to keep in mind.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
The Amarillo is the same floor plan of the Sunkissed, however is a bit larger and may have some updates on it depending on the house. I think it may have 2 walkin closets vs one in the master. It also may have a door in the guest bedroom out onto the lanai. We viewed one when looking for our house (Sunkissed) and it had ALL updates. Two sinks in the master bath, maybe granite for counter tops and more.
The Amarillo and the Sunkissed are the same floorplan. If the guest bedroom side is bumped back it allows for the 3rd bedroom to have a door into the side of the lanai. The "B bath option" has the hers and hers closets and the double vanity. I have seen a few with the single walk in closet and a double vanity as well. The Bougnavillia is the designer version of the Amarillo with slight upgrades in the finish, and inclusion in a designer neighborhood. They used to offer the bouganvillia with a Florida room, but now the Alamanda is the "amarillo with Fla. Room option and it is poured concrete (the only plan that currently is constructed that way). You may also see some azaleas on the pre owned market which is a block and stucco designer Amarillo. Some older homes with the Amarillo floorplan are called Stetson III. I have looked a lot!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM

My findings is what do you prefer?? Ranch/cottage have less living room space with bigger bedrooms and the Desighners have more living room space with smaller bedrooms (except master rooms, they are bigger)
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Well what I learned here so far is apparently there is no concrete definition of a Designer Vs Ranch unless we start talking about specific models by name. It appears to be a designation assigned by the builder. Within the last few years per the literature floating around there does seem to be a corelation to size but not 100%. Is there any difference in quality between the two classes?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Well what I learned here so far is apparently there is no concrete definition of a Designer Vs Ranch unless we start talking about specific models by name. It appears to be a designation assigned by the builder. Within the last few years per the literature floating around there does seem to be a corelation to size but not 100%. Is there any difference in quality between the two classes?
The big differences is in finishing inside. In a designer you get a little better grade of light fixtures, faucets, more choices, nicer cabinets.....things like that.

But...all you have to do to get all those specific differences is ask your sales person. If you don't have one ...do NOT be afraid. He/she won't latch on and pester you. You will only hear from them when you contact them or ask a question. They aren't the usual kind here.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

And don't forget the cost
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.