Dessicants for mildew and mold prevention while up north

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2021, 12:56 PM

For years before full time here we left AC on 80, left all doors open including closets for air flow, turned off ice maker, taped sink overflow holes and stoppers in tub, sinks, and showers, set hot water to vaca mode, and never had a problem. I had a trusted person stop in once a month to flush toilets, check ceilings for leaks, etc and all was well. I do that now for neighbors when away, piece of mind. Best of luck, hurry back.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:35 PM

Turn all your ceiling fans on low.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Since 2010 kept 80/60. But every year anything plastic became brittle. Combs, brushes, hair dryer, sunglasses. First 3 not a big deal, but sunglasses cost was big $$$.
In October put in a new system, mentioned the issues. Had us set at 78/60. Installer said cost is minimum, and should help with less brittle sunglasses.
So far cost is only a few dollars difference per month more than the last 10 years.
May help. I used to fly model airplanes. The propellers which were made of nylon would get noticeably more brittle over the dry winter-ie combs. Soak them in warm water like two days and it will restore them.

May relate to something I read years ago about antiques. The thought was it is survival of the fittest. It is not like they did not make poor stuff in the past. Over the years the poor stuff failed for whatever reason.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Been in Florida a long time and in

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenick View Post
6 yrs snowbird, gone June thru December. Set temp 81 all ceiling fans on low, all closet doors open. Also have home watch twice a month to check on thing and turn on water run everything, flush toilets turn water off. Never any problems.
tropical countries most of my working life , ceiling fans do not help cool an empty house it is a myth that has no truth to it , all it helps is your electric bill,when I’m gone before Covid in the summer I just leave AC at 80 in fact that’s the only preparation I do besides locking the door
Old 05-02-2021, 08:45 AM

I have been using Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier in the closets for years. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Eva-dry is renewable (no batteries). I plug in once a month and it is restored and ready to go. The silica moisture absorbing beads turn from orange to green to tell you when it’s full! Once full, just recharge in any power strip and watch the indicating silica beads dry up and change colors – it’s that easy! No water or mess to leak or spill.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:46 AM

When we were snowbirds, I went to a class, Closing your Florida home. It suggested cleaning your toliets and then covering the top with seran wrap, then putting the seat and lid down. I do that even when we go on short trips. They also suggested leaving cupboards doors open and closet doors for air flow. We are no longer snowbirds, but these things worked for us. Google Closing your Florida home and see what comes up.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:43 AM

A wifi thermostat like an Ecobee allows you to monitor and control your AC system from your phone. Also letting your ceiling fans run on low helps with air circulation and the ceiling fan`s electric motor lasts the longest running continuous 24/7. I also set up a dehumidifier set at the 50% humidity setting in a bathtub with a drain hose.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus69 View Post
A wifi thermostat like an Ecobee allows you to monitor and control your AC system from your phone. Also letting your ceiling fans run on low helps with air circulation and the ceiling fan`s electric motor lasts the longest running continuous 24/7. …
Don’t know if this applies to all ecobee models, but our ecobee3 lite allows you to set a minimum fan run time per hour while leaving the system in auto. For example, ours is currently set to have the fan run at least 10-min per hour whether the AC is called for or not. I think I’ll try that this summer rather than leaving ceiling fans running. Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I am interested in hearing what strategies the northern migratory Villagers use to try to combat mildew and mold while up north for the summer months. I already have a humidistat, and will set thermostat for 80F, and humidistat for 60. I have had discussions with others suggesting the use of desiccants (charcoal, other products), in closets where the air might not flow well enough to otherwise keep it at bay.

Ideas? Specific products? Sources?

Thanks
Dessicants once absorbed the atmospheric humidity, is useless and needs to be regenerated by removal of water to be useful again.
Short term gain presents a longer-term problem
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 AM

Should not set above 80 or you are taking extra risks.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Default Outlet insulation covers

Up north we put outlet insulators ( small form sheets) behind our electrical outlets to stop the cold from coming in. Does anyone do that down here to slow the humidity from coming in? Or does that trap the humidity in the walls?
Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 PM

Be careful with dessicants. They usually come in a plastic container and need to be emptied. We had one hanging in a closet and it overflowed and ruined some clothing. Follow the advice given here and keep your closets open.
Closed Thread

Tags
products, north, humidistat, mold, mildew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.