Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Term limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I recall our Republican U.S. Congresswoman when we moved here was assumed to be running for a third or fourth term. Because the outcome of the primary election was almost certain, she had no primary opponent. There were no candidates in the Democratic primary either. Her only opponent in the General Election could be a write-in.

Just before the deadline for filing as a candidate in the Primary election she announced her intention to retire from Congress and withdrew her name from the election. Simultaneously, boxes containing the necessary number of signed petitions for another candidate were delivered to the Election office. The new candidate was a close friend and political associate of the retiring Congresswoman, at the time the Sheriff of Brooksville. Of course as the only candidate in the Primary and subsequent General election, he was elected to Congress.

The entire sequence was completely legal. Was it underhanded,or whatever term you’d like to apply?

By the way, the new Congressman served two terms before he retired back to his home in Brooksville. At the time of his retirement from Congress he had a campaign finance fund which had received over $9 million in contributions. This despite the fact that he never had an electoral opponent! As the only large businesses in the district, much of the money contributed to his campaign fund came from Gary Morse, The Villages, contractors, Citizens First Bank, or other businesses owned by or closely associated with The Villages. Again, all totally legal.

Being a member of the U.S. House or Senate is a sweet job.
And exactly why reasonable term limits and campaign finance limits would best serve our country. Unfortunately most of us won’t live to see them.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:55 AM

The https://www.**************.com/2020/...-over-to-fdle/ does not mention "the developer".
Old 11-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
And what does dragging up an old case that nobody cared about when it happened have to do with the current post???
I don't know. I am worried that the new people elected in charge of Sumter county may try to change the way things are run and try to make us not a CDD.

I am not a fan of the POA.

I sense sort of a campaign on here from some posters.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
Where is the online newspaper?
Like most things you can Google or Bing it.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john352 View Post
The https://www.**************.com/2020/...-over-to-fdle/ does not mention "the developer".
Umm, who do you think "The Villages of Lake-Sumter, Inc (and related companies and individuals)" is?
Old 11-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
"The Developer" is exactly who? Is it one person or a group of people? Precisely who is being investigated? Election fraud? Anyone who was legally on the ballot, and they all were, are not "fake" candidates. Why do people choose to stay here when they obviously hate it here? That "on-line" newspaper is a site filed with nothing but TV haters. My virus software does not allow me to view that site anymore. It is dangerous to people with an IQ above 130.
Really ? Above 130 ?
Shameful rhetoric ! It’s not up to you to call out people who discovered many things after buying a house and discovering most of the sales rhetoric was simply that. Nothing is free golf is not free the commercials should be taken down
Old 11-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Really ? Above 130 ?
Shameful rhetoric ! It’s not up to you to call out people who discovered many things after buying a house and discovering most of the sales rhetoric was simply that. Nothing is free golf is not free the commercials should be taken down
The Villages has not had to advertise for many years. I haven't EVER heard sales rhetoric/spiel/heavy sell from anyone who works for the developer. They don't have to. They have people standing in line to move here and I well can understand why. I love this wonderful place and the many people I know who live here.

There is no charge for golf if you walk and carry nine hole courses.

We have had two homes here and had not a problem with either of them.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Really sad that some try to justify the slaughter of animals even when it is illegal and cruel. I am sure cutting the legs off of a slaughtered animal for a picture, or letting others rot in the field are the appropriate ways of treating one of our most valuable resources.
I assume at this point you are not replying to the topic and are attempting to change it to your cause. Trophy hunting has been going on for hundreds of years and will continue most likely for hundreds more, best not to get your bowels in an uproar over it.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:41 AM
Sage

Try to make us not a CDD? Exactly how would they accomplish that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't know. I am worried that the new people elected in charge of Sumter county may try to change the way things are run and try to make us not a CDD.

I am not a fan of the POA.

I sense sort of a campaign on here from some posters.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Really ? Above 130 ?
Triggered?
Old 11-26-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz@comcast.net View Post
100% not true

What is 100% not true. Explain.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMM View Post
My ain’t we proud of ourselves? Chose an IQ that is high enough to be considered gifted. Make sure we all know you are so far above normal and the rest of us. It’s not a compliment when we have to say it ourselves.
130 IQ is considered just moderately gifted. I can not help it if my virus software algorithm doesn't allow someone, being moderately gifted, to peruse detritus on that "online newspaper." You sound triggered? Why is that?
Old 11-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
As a result of the use of "fake" candidates to disenfranchise voters in last August's Republican primary, the Developer (along with the "fake" candidates and the incumbents whom the "fake" candidates were helping) are under criminal investigation by the FDLE for possible elections fraud. Not a word about it in the Daily Sun. For details, see today's on-line newspaper.
Mita Minton is not above creating false news.

Tags
fake, candidates, developer, fraud, elections

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.