Anyone ever change the master BR window .....

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Default Anyone ever change the master BR window .....

into a set of sliding glass doors? On the Wisteria II, the master bedroom has a window that overlooks the non covered ( concrete slab ) portion of the lanai. Just wondering if anyone has removed the window and made a set of sliding glass doors instead..Did you regert it, like it, love it??? Was it expensive? Just an idea to expand the screen on the lanai and convert the window instead of the expensive birdcage costs....Thanks for any info....
Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
into a set of sliding glass doors? On the Wisteria II, the master bedroom has a window that overlooks the non covered ( concrete slab ) portion of the lanai. Just wondering if anyone has removed the window and made a set of sliding glass doors instead..Did you regert it, like it, love it??? Was it expensive? Just an idea to expand the screen on the lanai and convert the window instead of the expensive birdcage costs....Thanks for any info....
We have a Wisteria and have been considering changing the MBR window to french doors. I'll be interested to find out if anyone has done this type of renovation.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Sage

I just replaced a large triple window in our bedroom with french doors. New walls had to be built on both sides of the door. I love it. Jerome's Masonery did the job. I have 8' doors so it was not inexpensive, but so worth it.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am now in the process of knocking out a window in a CBS Lantana MBR and converting it to an entrance way to a new room. THis is not that expensive. Your situation is different where you want to convert a window into a Sliding gass Door. I believe your home is a Wood Frame. What would be required is to take the window out, and cut out the siding and wood framing, move some electric and telephone plugs and properly frame it to hold a 72X80 inch door. A good carpenter could do this job. The only difference between French Doors and a SGD is you need more space for the french doors (to swing open).

If you house was Concrete Block Stucco..it would be much more costly since you would need a mason plus a carpenter.

Now the real question, if you make this conversion and expand the screened lanai, you will most likely need to have your SGD curtins closed or else everytime you use your lanai you will look into your bedroom. Just something to think about!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Dancing Thyme

Thanks for the info Sam and Caroline, I'm thinking of doing the same thing in my "wood frame" version of the Lantana (can't think of the model name right now), but a question.... do you need to get approval from the Villages to do this?? --- it must be too early in the morning for me, I can't think of the name of the committee who approves that stuff... I'd better stop staying out till the wee hours of the morning!!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the good information and yes I do have a wood frame house .Thanks for the tip about the porch "looking in", I appreciate it!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Thanks for the info Sam and Caroline, I'm thinking of doing the same thing in my "wood frame" version of the Lantana (can't think of the model name right now), but a question.... do you need to get approval from the Villages to do this?? --- it must be too early in the morning for me, I can't think of the name of the committee who approves that stuff... I'd better stop staying out till the wee hours of the morning!!!!
My understanding from talking to Home Depot about replacing my sliding glass door with a set of French doors is that any time you replace or install an exterior door, you need a building permit. Since you will probably hire someone, they will get the permit. Make sure they do. According to the guidelines - page 8 of the Village's telephone book - item 16, you need an architectural review.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM

You might also consider an atrium door for that application. It has a fixed glass panel on one side and swinging exterior door on the other side. You can get either a R or L handed door as needed.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the good information and yes I do have a wood frame house .Thanks for the tip about the porch "looking in", I appreciate it!
We have the Austin which has a larger rectangular lanai. There are two sliding glass doors that open on the lanai. One from the dining area the other door at 90 degree opens into the master bedroom. The bedroom door is on the shoter side of the lanai and the dining room door is on the longer side of the lanai.
The bedroom slider is very nice in our view. Since it is on the shorter side it is over 20 feet from the other end of the screened lanai. The roof of the lanai screens the bedroom door from directly viewing into the bedroom. If you are sitting on the lanai you can see directly into the bedroom but that, to us, has not been objectional. We have vertical blinds that can close and block all view. We really enjoy having the hugh open door when we wake in the morning. It is nearly impossible to see into the bedroom from across the back yard. If a light is on in the room at night you can see in. At night if we need light we close the blinds.
BTW we are open blind type people. Hate to live in the dark as it feels like a cave. We don't do anything that needs to be hidden from view. Of course we do close blinds during certain activities like changing clothing etc...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Let me know if you find out anymore info on this. We have a W-II also and were just talking the other night about have the window taking out and puting in sliding glass door. I have already extended the pation out to the side of the house and will be putting a bird cage up over that half of the lania. I know Fortin Construction does this and will check with them on pricing and let you know also. But it would be nice to have that feature on that model.

Money out
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

KathieI

Not only would you need a permit you would WANT a permit for you will be dealing with structural cut-outs and framing and want a second set of eyes to OK the job.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
Of course we do close blinds during certain activities like changing clothing etc...
Oh, I thought you were going to say something else.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Default Great thanks!

Please let me know on the cost to extend the patio, I would be very interested in that! I did like one of the posters remarks about installing one door fixed and the other door that opens. I have a feeling that would be more expenxive than a set of SGD, but will let you know when I know! Thanks...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Please let me know on the cost to extend the patio, I would be very interested in that! I did like one of the posters remarks about installing one door fixed and the other door that opens. I have a feeling that would be more expenxive than a set of SGD, but will let you know when I know! Thanks...
You should have about a 11 x20 area that will need to done to take the patio out to the side of the house. I did mine myself being where I work, but the price wouldnt be to bad at all. The major cost would be the SGD to install. Let Me check on some things. I did the pation and am having a Bird Cage installed ove that area, then looking at the SGD deal. You will need ARC approval and permitting for all of that deal.

Money out
Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 AM

I can answer part of your questions.

When we built our Jasmine (block Wisteria) in 2004, we did take out the master bedroom window and added a double sliding glass door. We extended the covered lanai past the bedroom, and we extended the slab to the end of the house. We haven't covered the slab with a birdcage, and have no plans to do so. We did have a gas line run to the slab and installed a natural gas grill. Sure is nice not to have to deal with propane tanks.

When building the house, the revisions to the original floor plan weren't terribly costly. To make the changes post construction, I wouldn't have a clue.

We've been very happy with the way those revisions worked.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.