Did any of you get serious sun burn when you first arrived in TV from the north?

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
When I moved he from Ohio I was not used to the sun at all. Spent the first couple of weeks at the pool every day. Ended up with the rash you are describing and didn't understand it since I had used sun tan lotion. The sport kind. Turned out I was allergic to the sun tan lotion. There are many chemicals in the lotion that I had never been exposed to before. Now I buy banana boat for kids spf 50 and for the face I use neutrogenia baby faces lotion. No problem since then.

Now that is a possibility except he didn't put any on. It was in the beach bag. I had brought several of them for each of the families......the others did use the sun block, but hubby did not.

However, that was a really good thought.....

His entire family does have sensitive skin......
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

I didn't need to move to Florida to get a sunburn.....I am a redhead and I am from Illinois....believe me, I have had plenty of sunburns! They hadn't even invented sunscreen until I was an adult.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Default Sun

Whether on vacation or here to stay at TV. 15 minutes a side is MAX until you are ready to brown. Nothing ruins your time like a real burn.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

senior citizen - as a jersey girl who LOVES her beach - i learned LONG AGO that one can develop a monster of a sunburn sitting under an umbrella just because of the reflection of the rays of the sun off the sand and the water! combine that with a day of deep sea fishing as well as just being out and about in the summer sun is a sure recipe for disaster.

long gone are the days of sunworshipping for this fair skinned and freckled beach bum! but i have not given up my love for sunshine - taken in appropriate doses! since we snowbird in the villages, i don't worry too much about a sunburn of any degree between jan and the end of april. lazy days are spent on the lanai - active days are spend washing the car/golf cart and/or shopping. the amount of sun exposure from either enables a gradual development of what i've heard called the 'natural' florida tan - the one picked up just from being outside doing the same things we do outside anywhere else.

were i to be a permanent resident - it's for sure i would have a wardrobe of hats for the summer/fall and an ample supply of spf 50 - 35 and moisturizer with vitamine and aloe!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
senior citizen - as a jersey girl who LOVES her beach - i learned LONG AGO that one can develop a monster of a sunburn sitting under an umbrella just because of the reflection of the rays of the sun off the sand and the water! combine that with a day of deep sea fishing as well as just being out and about in the summer sun is a sure recipe for disaster.

long gone are the days of sunworshipping for this fair skinned and freckled beach bum! but i have not given up my love for sunshine - taken in appropriate doses! since we snowbird in the villages, i don't worry too much about a sunburn of any degree between jan and the end of april. lazy days are spent on the lanai - active days are spend washing the car/golf cart and/or shopping. the amount of sun exposure from either enables a gradual development of what i've heard called the 'natural' florida tan - the one picked up just from being outside doing the same things we do outside anywhere else.

were i to be a permanent resident - it's for sure i would have a wardrobe of hats for the summer/fall and an ample supply of spf 50 - 35 and moisturizer with vitamine and aloe!
You said it. Appropriate doses is the "key". Plus just getting the sun naturally without actively pursuing it. I know you are right about the reflection of the rays off the sand and the water.....plus the umbrella really not helping.

Thought you'd get a kick out of this.....our Jersey cousins from Westwood, Bergen County thought the Maine sand looked like "mud" compared to the soft whiter Jersey sand of Long Beach Island. Some of the pics she saw were of the grandkids digging a big hole right after "high tide".....so now, it's the competition of the war of who has better sand????

Obviously, it is New Jersey, our home state........that has the softer sand.

But Maine's seashores are pretty and quaint and what we've known for the past 43 years.......plus love the cliffs and the bold open ocean crashing against the rocks.......
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Default Sun burn???

What the OP is describing does not sound at all like a "normal" sunburn. In people with sensitive skin, exposure to sun for prolonged periods can result in a type of allergic reaction rather than a sunburn. This is characterized by red raised "bumps" on the exposed skin, which ate somewhat itchy and painful to the touch.
In addition, thre are a number of uncommon disease states which cause extreme reactions to bright sun. There are also a number of prescription medications which make the skin very, very sensitive to sunlight. Persons on such medications are often advised to stay out of any direct sun.
Please check with your doctor or dermatologist to be on the safe side. Do not rely on this website for advice on medical issues.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 PM

No sunburn, but I did get a couple of skin cancers. Gotta be careful here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.