Did anyone with pavers on driveways have problems during the hurricane???

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Default Did anyone with pavers on driveways have problems during the hurricane???

If you have had pavers installed on your driveway, did you have any problem with water coming into your garage during the recent hurricane? If you did, what type of problem and who installed the pavers. If you did not have a problem, who did your installation?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Platinum member

Yes, we did. Just put driveway in 2 weeks ago and water poured into garage. Thank God we didn't lose power. We stayed up all night sucking up water every 1/2 hour with a rug shampooer. Contacted Paradise Pavers and they came and looked at it. Sending crew to correct. Haven't heard back from them yet as to when. Will keep you updated to see if they show and if it gets fixed. We tried stemming the flow with beach towels and it didn't work either.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

WE are sticking with a naked driveway. No paint, no nuthin'.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Yeah, we like our naked driveway.

If we choose to sunbathe in the buff on the driveway, no one even notices.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 AM

We have pavers and did not have a problem with the water coming in. We also didn't have water coming into our front door. I think it was probably more to do with how our house is positioned and the direction from which the strong wind was coming. Neighbors behind us and across the street had major problems with water coming into their front doors. When our pavers were installed they cut out the concrete right in front of our garage door and installed a drain. I would think that would be a standard procedure but I don't know anything about installing pavers. We also had gutters installed across our garage which seems like an obvious thing to do if you have pavers installed.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Yes, we did. Just put driveway in 2 weeks ago and water poured into garage. Thank God we didn't lose power. We stayed up all night sucking up water every 1/2 hour with a rug shampooer. Contacted Paradise Pavers and they came and looked at it. Sending crew to correct. Haven't heard back from them yet as to when. Will keep you updated to see if they show and if it gets fixed. We tried stemming the flow with beach towels and it didn't work either.
Hi! We have pavers and had water pouring in under our garage door. We live in St. James on Yankee Clipper Run.
Storm hit our door full force. Up all night like you. We had to mop, towel and sponge all night.
We had nothing electric to use although we had power. We must have poured out 30 buckets of
water.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM

The developer put our pavers in, actually T&D. Contracted at the time of the design. They recessed the concrete on the drive and walk by the thickness of the pavers. This leaves a step barrier. We had no water in the garage and only a little at the front door. Nothing came in but the bottom of the door was damp. Because of this we put towels against the door. The towels tended to soak up the water, nothing was wet inside the towels.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Platinum member

Paradise Pavers came back and were going to clear the very skinny line at edge of garage that had some cement that had gotten into it. My husband didn't think that would solve a heavy rain from the east so they are coming back on Tues 10/10 and installing a large gasket along the floor where door meets. We had new gaskets put on garage door and front door when we had the house painted about a month before the storm which probably saved us from water coming in the front door. The floor gasket online is 79.95 and they are charging us $150 for gasket installed. We think that's fair because if it doesn't work, we'll keep calling. Will keep you updated.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good for you
Old 10-09-2017, 07:48 PM

I feel for you. Paradise Pavers installed our driveway approximately 2 years ago. We have had a nightmare of flooding in our garage. They did come back several times however they did not remove the cement and add thicker pavers to adjust the threshold line from the pavers they installed higher than the garage threshold as promised. Those garage gaskets are not worth the double uplift price they bill you. I believe Home Depot for approximately $70.00. Just another false gleam of hope they gave us. After plenty of he said she said being rude to my wife calling me a internet basher for expressing my freedom of speech, I finally went to the BBB. So they went on my face book page and screen printed any positive comment they could find including mine when they first installed the pavers because it appeared to be a great job until the rains came and the flooding started. Sure they looked amazing all shiny and coated however the job was worthless since they ruined the original flow pitch and created garage flooding. Finally when I decided they could not or would not correct the flooding I hired a very savvy and professional company who had to take up their mess and reinstalled thick pavers at my expense by removing the concrete and restoring the lip of my garage entrance with cement not pavers lower than the garage floor entrance. We have not had one ounce of water during all the storms and especially Irma. I strongly suggest you might keep my nightmare story in the back of your mind when they promise you a "quick shabby fix". Your welcome to contact me as well if you would like to see before pictures of their shabby work and what a new driveway should look like minus the flooding. By the way you are by far not the first... So sorry for your troubles.

Last edited by salgent; 10-09-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Sage

Had a neighbor spend untold money with weeks of contractor labor trying to rid her paver driveway of ANTS. Seems once ants decide to move under your driveway they don’t like moving out. Same also applies to landscape block walls. Ants love all those nooks and crannies.
I’ll stick with what the builder gave me, including the pine straw. Zero problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 AM
Veteran member

Pavers on driveways and walkways give houses tremendous curb appeal and add to the home's value, but if they aren't installed properly, can be a problem.

I'm not saying that there aren't any, but the applications I have seen are only thin pavers installed on top of existing concrete driveways and paths.
THAT is probably the reason there are so many issues homeowners are having and have had.

Genuine pavers come in various sizes with some being brick-like, cobblestone-like, etc.
They are big, thick and heavy and come in various shapes and colors, not like the thin things used in TV.
They should never be installed on top of an existing driveway!
There is more to it that this, but the main thing is that they are laid/set in a bed of sand.
Correctly done, they last forever.

It's too bad the paver companies here have sold homeowners a bill of goods, and it's a shame so many residents are having a problem.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 AM

We had Paradise Pavers pave our driveway 3 years ago and so far no problems at all, ( we did have it resealed about 4 months ago), and our Garage / Front door faces South West which I believe was the direction the storm was coming from. I wonder if anyone with a concrete or painted driveway had any water infiltration ? Could it be the possible slope of the driveways that is the issue.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

In my neighborhood, thick pavers (60 mm) have been used on the majority of the homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Pavers on driveways and walkways give houses tremendous curb appeal and add to the home's value, but if they aren't installed properly, can be a problem.

I'm not saying that there aren't any, but the applications I have seen are only thin pavers installed on top of existing concrete driveways and paths.
THAT is probably the reason there are so many issues homeowners are having and have had.

Genuine pavers come in various sizes with some being brick-like, cobblestone-like, etc.
They are big, thick and heavy and come in various shapes and colors, not like the thin things used in TV.
They should never be installed on top of an existing driveway!
There is more to it that this, but the main thing is that they are laid/set in a bed of sand.
Correctly done, they last forever.

It's too bad the paver companies here have sold homeowners a bill of goods, and it's a shame so many residents are having a problem.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We had Paradise Pavers install thin pavers on our driveway 4 years ago when house was new - also landscape walls in front. Always have been extremely satisfied all around - never had a crack or truly any issue at all.
The builder had a 1" "lip" - the finished garage floor was 1" or so higher than the level of the cement driveway. So after install the pavers are exactly the same height as the garage floor. The rubber seal of the garage door contacts the pavers when closed with about 2" of them inside the garage.

Bottom line barely a drop of wind-driven rain water after the storms passed. Same for our front door. However our front bedroom had some leakage of groundwater/rain into the room. The carpeting was damp about 8' across the room and about 2 - 3" from the wall. Dried out fine in a couple days.
The front of our home, and garage, faces directly east (the brunt of the hurricane winds) and one house away from a golf course ---so no shield from those terrific winds.

So, A+ for the garage/pavers/front door. C- for the bedroom floor.

Tags
problem, pavers, installed, hurricane, type

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.