Did the Home Show tour south of 44!

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You're right, no tubs and also no televisions. In Marsh Bend I think there was only one home that had a spot for a TV.
Do you mean no spot for a TV in the main living area? How can they build a home without a spot for a TV? I can't wait to see these models. We are going to the home show in two days.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Several items are slowly going away. Square tile, crown molding, bathtubs, granite, 2-level islands, summer kitchens, and entertainment centers. I also noticed that open tile showers in the masters are being replaced with glass. A lot of new decorating ideas or is it just plain cheaper to do???
The last home show I went to in The Villages featured one level kitchen islands. Seems the two level islands are becoming a thing of the past in this community. I much prefer the two level island. I would miss the area to place items against the "step up" part such as salt and pepper shaker, napkin holder and other stuff. Also, the "step up" part has electrical outlets which I would surely miss.

I remember years ago, HGTV stressed that if you have an open concept kitchen, a two level kitchen counter is an absolute must. The step up section hides a lot of the "mess" when preparing meals, especially when you are entertaining. That surely is the case in my kitchen!

I use my two level island kitchen counter also as a bar when entertaining. I like to keep my "bar" equipment and liquor separated from the seating area and the two step island serves that purpose perfectly.

The two level kitchen counters may be old fashioned but I honestly think they are much more functional than the new single level counters.

Last edited by coffeebean; 12-14-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

We toured today.. Actually, every living room has a wall for a large TV. In the models, there are typically large paintings where the TV would go .. Doesn;t take much imagination to figure where they will go.. In addition to new floor plans, you can get plenty of decorating ideas for all rooms.. It was a good way to kill a few hours on a Saturday morning. As usual, the Villages did a great job w organization of trolleys etc.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The last home show I went to in The Villages featured one level kitchen islands. Seems the two level islands are becoming a thing of the past in this community. I much prefer the two level island. I would miss the area to place items against the "step up" part such as salt and pepper shaker, napkin holder and other stuff. Also, the "step up" part has electrical outlets which I would surely miss.

I remember years ago, HGTV stressed that if you have an open concept kitchen, a two level kitchen counter is an absolute must. The step up section hides a lot of the "mess" when preparing meals, especially when you are entertaining. That surely is the case in my kitchen!

I use my two level island kitchen counter also as a bar when entertaining. I like to keep my "bar" equipment and liquor separated from the seating area and the two step island serves that purpose perfectly.

The two level kitchen counters may be old fashioned but I honestly think they are much more functional than the new single level counters.
Totally agree, also safer for those sitting at the island if there is an accidental spill.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Agree with your post. One level looks nice until you want to use it. I can't understand why builders are going with this concept.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
I totally agree. My wife and I both thought the kitchens in the new models were terrible.

The kitchens in the new models, including the Laurel Oak, were very small. If one person opened the refrigerator, the dishwasher, or the oven, the other person could not get by. Since my wife and I are often in the kitchen moving around at the same time, the new kitchens would not work for us.

Heck, we had more space in the kitchen when we rented a patio villa.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The last home show I went to in The Villages featured one level kitchen islands. Seems the two level islands are becoming a thing of the past in this community.

I remember years ago, HGTV stressed that if you have an open concept kitchen, a two level kitchen counter is an absolute must. The step up section hides a lot of the "mess" when preparing meals, especially when you are entertaining.
I watch lots of HGTV and I can't remember when I last saw anyone remodel a kitchen with a two level island or peninsula. I am in the process of getting quotes to cut my cabinets down to one level and install new counters. I took pics of a couple one-level, C-shaped peninsulas today so I can show my husband what our kitchen will look like. I think one level looks so much nicer AND is more comfortable to sit at, especially for those of us who are height-challenged.

As for the 800k+ homes in the tour, some of the views/pools were amazing but even when you were fairly far down the block you could still hear noise/music coming from the nearby rec center and food trucks. Will the food trucks disappear when there are finally real restaurants down there?

kathy
Old 12-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I watch lots of HGTV and I can't remember when I last saw anyone remodel a kitchen with a two level island or peninsula.

kathy
You are absolutely correct about that. I did say it was years ago when HGTV stressed that a two level kitchen counter was a must to hide the mess when entertaining. I believe that way of thinking holds true today although, as you said, no one remodels a kitchen these days on HGTV with a two level counter.

I remodeled our kitchen a couple of years ago with all new cabinets, counter tops and backsplash. I would not have a one level counter top in my kitchen for the reasons I mentioned earlier. It may not be the latest updated look but it most certainly is more functional.

I agree counter height bar stools are easier to navigate but I haven't had anyone have difficulty getting on our bar stools. I'm all of 5'1" and I have no problem hopping on the stool. All the bars I have been to always have bar height stools and the bars around here are always busy. LOL!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,241 Posts

Where do they put electrical outlets for single level counters?
Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
My kitchen island has four outlets on the "step up" portion of my two level countertop. I also have one outlet on the wall which supports the counter top. The location of that outlet is the standard height from the floor. I'm going to the home show this morning so will certainly look to see where the outlets are placed on the single level counters in a kitchen island.

The only place I would imagine would be just under the overhang of the counter top on the wall which supports the counter top (the wall which the cabinets are attached to). In my humble opinion, plugging an appliance into an outlet in that location is an accident waiting to happen, not to mention unsightly. But that's just me. I use my outlets all the time on my island and don't know what I would do without them.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
I didn't notice at the tour, but in our Lantana there is a wall at one end of the peninsula (which no longer exists in the new ones, very nice and open!) I assume they would move our two outlets and the disposal switch to that wall. I will ask when the guy comes over to give me a quote later this week.

(I'm 5' tall and when I sit on high stools my legs and feet fall asleep!)

k.
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, pool, parking, lanai, agents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.