Did the Home Show tour south of 44!

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Wife and I went today. I would say the vast majority of people who buy will be focused on the more affordable homes that were in the Linden area. These homes show there are still some reasonably priced homes with some nice features as long as your lot price isn’t too crazy. The homes in Marsh Bend had some really nice lanai features and many upgrades in the homes. But that is probably a small segment of buyers for those homes.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Very nice event to showcase the the community. Much better design choices than some of the inventory homes.

No one was able to answer what "smart home" ready means. I noticed ports above the kitchen cabinets and an access point box in the ceiling.

I was a little surprised how most didn't have at least one bathtub. Could be a bit challenging when younger grandkids visits or dog wash time.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Very nice event to showcase the the community. Much better design choices than some of the inventory homes.

No one was able to answer what "smart home" ready means. I noticed ports above the kitchen cabinets and an access point box in the ceiling.

I was a little surprised how most didn't have at least one bathtub. Could be a bit challenging when younger grandkids visits or dog wash time.
You're right, no tubs and also no televisions. In Marsh Bend I think there was only one home that had a spot for a TV.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
Lots of beautiful new homes in Linden and Marsh Bend. pleasant Villages employees and sales agents. Learned from sales agents there are no plans for any Premier homes south of 44. Just stretched and heavily optioned designer homes. Toured a Bridgeport model, large lanai and pool priced at $829,000............................but. Rear property line abuts the parking lot, with Parking spaces for Edna’s directly behind the pool and lanai, food truck cooking smell and noise from the area makes you wonder what were they thinking? The rest of the homes along that side of Lowlands were very nice, land costs alone for these homes were about $200k-$240k.
I don't think it is wise to trust the sales agents regarding plans to not build premiers. I think they say honestly what they've been told by management, but judging by what has happened in the past, management is not being upfront. I'm thinking about the number of times that we've been told the Villages will be at capacity, and then they go ahead and build out further. Premiers south of 44? - Maybe, maybe not.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Only one house, the last one on Spurlock (Marsh Bend area), had crown molding. Surprising since cm is high on my list of home improvements for our DeSoto home.

Overall, the tour was very well organized & executed. Walk at your own pace through the beautiful (mostly) decorated homes, board a return trolley at your leisure, take pictures & notes as you wish, talk with sales reps at length. A very relaxing, no pressure environment to see the newest homes ideas of The Villages. Thanks for the opportunity.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage

Several items are slowly going away. Square tile, crown molding, bathtubs, granite, 2-level islands, summer kitchens, and entertainment centers. I also noticed that open tile showers in the masters are being replaced with glass. A lot of new decorating ideas or is it just plain cheaper to do???
Old 12-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
There was an brochure in one of the homes stating there are more than 1,000 requests for rentals than inventory available.

Obviously they can help manage investment property.
That does not surprise me at all. Never enough rentals for high season. However, will they rent off season? I doubt they rent as well as north of 44 high season. But you lose money if you pay the Villages management company their 20% to manage it....
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Several items are slowly going away. Square tile, crown molding, bathtubs, granite, 2-level islands, summer kitchens, and entertainment centers. I also noticed that open tile showers in the masters are being replaced with glass. A lot of new decorating ideas or is it just plain cheaper to do???
Most of the stuff you mention was not typical in homes north of 44 so not sure what your point is. If anything these houses have nicer finishes an features than the new homes I looked at in Hillsborough, Dunedin, and Lake Deaton 5 years ago. The outsides DEFINITELY look higher end. Why do some people always need to bash the developer or imply they are lowering their standards? I have to tell you, my wife and I were discussing how amazing our 5 year old Jasmine looks after having probably 30 different renters in it... We have had no problems and the darn thing still looks new -and it is rented 10 months a year.... amazing.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-13-2019, 02:26 PM

I am planning my move to TV Dec 2020
I’m having a real problem with seeing so many homes built on the water. I’m wondering how aggressive alligators are, and I understand they travel from one body of water to the next. I have dogs, and it’s impossible to not go outside after dark during winter months. Would a taser deter an alligator, or some type of mace spray??
Old 12-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Most of the stuff you mention was not typical in homes north of 44 so not sure what your point is. If anything these houses have nicer finishes an features than the new homes I looked at in Hillsborough, Dunedin, and Lake Deaton 5 years ago. The outsides DEFINITELY look higher end. Why do some people always need to bash the developer or imply they are lowering their standards? I have to tell you, my wife and I were discussing how amazing our 5 year old Jasmine looks after having probably 30 different renters in it... We have had no problems and the darn thing still looks new -and it is rented 10 months a year.... amazing.
I was replying to a post that noted there was no crown molding, I'm not bashing, I like the new styles. We live in a designer down here and have no problem with it.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
I am planning my move to TV Dec 2020
I’m having a real problem with seeing so many homes built on the water. I’m wondering how aggressive alligators are, and I understand they travel from one body of water to the next. I have dogs, and it’s impossible to not go outside after dark during winter months. Would a taser deter an alligator, or some type of mace spray??
IMHO a water view is an attractive nuisance. When the water level is high, the view is pretty. When it’s low or cluttered with algae, not so pretty. It’s also an established fact that stagnant water breeds mosquitoes. There are also water moccasins and other water snakes that might be more aggressive than the occasional alligator. BTW, we encountered a 6-8 alligator walking across the green on Bacall and it paid absolutely no attention to us. Dogs, however might be what they’re looking for.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
IMHO a water view is an attractive nuisance. When the water level is high, the view is pretty. When it’s low or cluttered with algae, not so pretty. It’s also an established fact that stagnant water breeds mosquitoes. There are also water moccasins and other water snakes that might be more aggressive than the occasional alligator. BTW, we encountered a 6-8 alligator walking across the green on Bacall and it paid absolutely no attention to us. Dogs, however might be what they’re looking for.
We have been on water for 0ver 2-1/2 years, it is not a nuisance, the view is always good, the first year we had to make calls to take care of algae, now our's in on a program and they spray if from shore as well as in a little power boat. The alligators don't bother anyone, I have never seen a snake, it's really enjoyable watching the fishing birds and ducks, especially the ones that dive. You don't have to worry about your dog as they have to be on a leash when off your property and your property never goes all the way to the water. The lawn area around the ponds is also well maintained.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	82218  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
We have been on water for 0ver 2-1/2 years, it is not a nuisance, the view is always good, the first year we had to make calls to take care of algae, now our's in on a program and they spray if from shore as well as in a little power boat. The alligators don't bother anyone, I have never seen a snake, it's really enjoyable watching the fishing birds and ducks, especially the ones that dive. You don't have to worry about your dog as they have to be on a leash when off your property and your property never goes all the way to the water. The lawn area around the ponds is also well maintained.
The inversion oxygenation systems also help keep the lakes healthy.

Lake Bottom Aeration: Revives Lake Ecosystems
Old 12-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Did anyone take any photos, especially around Marsh Bend and Avidon \ Spurlock.

I read the debates of North verus South with interest along with the questions of why someone will pay $200k for a lot premium, and others that state some will. Well as one of the ones who has I will tell you why.

I have looked at Chataux in France, Sea resorts in Spain, Villas in Disney and TV. All in the same price range. France scores hands down is a 10 hour drive, but will with in excess of 10 acreas of land, and some with 2/3 hectres, do I really want the worry in my twilight years? Spain is dusty, and lacks the views. Finally Europe is cold in winter which defeats the whole reason for spending 6 months a year in a different location. TV has golf carts, activities, you speak the same - OK not the same as UK English but a similar language to us :-) Europe is indeed closer with more transport options (car, plane, coach and train), BUT as we (I) voted to leave EC for closer alignment with US there is little difference, eg. currency, passports, VISA's etc. etc.

So why TV and why a lot premium?

The selling point is the ease of getting around in golf carts and bikes. Not living in the US we don't want the hassle of a car that will spend most of its life parked in a garage un-used. We are long distance runners so having places to run safely is a must, and the people from TV Running club really made us welcome. We aren't golfers, but are learning, and are looking forward to taking part in all the other sports available - hence Marsh Bend seemed a great location to us, for us. I want a view, and that's the price we have to pay.

Why new verus old? We saw our perfect home for $ 550k earlier in the year in the north. lovely view, pool etc. etc. I see some now in hte $600k region, but they are 10+ years old. We won't be moving out for a few years, just a 2 week vacation in the early years. So you could say its an investment, but what is an investment? Are we buying at the top of the market? maybe, but then to counter any falls is the fact there are no shops and restaurants yet so you have to have a car.... longer term though when they are built prices will rise.... Again what is an investment? Its a money pit when you buy, it gives you a feel good factor when you see your neighbours houses sell for more, but you only see a profit (hopefully) when you sell. So why South? we hope and believe all connections and shops will be in place by the time we come out full time (well 6 months a year).

The end result is that the property will be brand new, so we shouldn't need to worry about repairs = less stress for the next 10 years.

Oh and last point, why pay the lot premium? that's the cost. Supply and demand. TV can sell and enough people are buying at the price - therefore that is the market price for now for the views we are buying.

But the REAL REASON we picked TV is all of you. You are such a friendly bunch of people, welcoming, and every bar and shop we went into when we were over made us feel at home, respected, part of the family. No amount of money can buy you friendships & comradery. True you don't get on with everyone, but there are enough people in a small area that we will find friends somewhere. HAPPY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL - for 2020 we will be coming out to join you all.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
I was replying to a post that noted there was no crown molding, I'm not bashing, I like the new styles. We live in a designer down here and have no problem with it.
Plenty of contractors here that do the little things like CM. Not everyone likes it, had a resale close to us that had it and when they sold it the buyers had the CM removed. Also, this is a retirement community and most retirees don't use bathtubs. Again, if you want to add one you can if you want to build for visitors. As for dogs, most of our neighbors have a separate portable tub and wash them outside or take them to a groomer. I assume the developer will also modify what you want to buy. They have a vested interest in some of the contractors.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, pool, parking, lanai, agents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.