Did you change to a "Florida" area code?

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
Makes it easy to sort out the junk calls, too. if we don't recognize the 651 prefix number, it is junk.
So, you now treat all of your new Florida friends with the 352 area code as "junk"? One reason to change is to go to a cheaper cell service. I was paying $1000/year for two cell phones when I moved here 14 years ago. Now, for the past 12 years I've been paying less than $200/year for my smart phone with Tracfone.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacScuba View Post
We will not be getting a landline when move to TV permanently, but is it common to change the cellphone to a 352 area code? I kinda like the old one to show where I was from.
I just about bet you if you tell them if I can keep the same area code I’ll take your services, if not I’ll try another service. Don’t let them convince you that nobody else will do it either because they won’t want to lose a customer! It works because I’ve done it twice.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:31 PM

Keep the old one. It will work fine. Been here 5 years with my original 585 number and have had no issues.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I just about bet you if you tell them if I can keep the same area code I’ll take your services, if not I’ll try another service. Don’t let them convince you that nobody else will do it either because they won’t want to lose a customer! It works because I’ve done it twice.
The phone provider doesn't have a choice. It's Federal law that you have the right to keep your phone number. It is called "porting" the number to another provider.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The phone provider doesn't have a choice. It's Federal law that you have the right to keep your phone number. It is called "porting" the number to another provider.
You don’t have to change NOR do you need to change providers. I’ve had the same cell number since I first got one and have lived in 6 different states.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Yes

We’re Florida residents now.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Amazing 50 replies.............................
Old 12-06-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Amazing 50 replies.............................
OK lets make it 51
Old 12-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Kept out of state cell number because all family and prior contacts have it. Many of our friends here have done the same.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Default Old vs New Area Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacScuba View Post
We will not be getting a landline when move to TV permanently, but is it common to change the cellphone to a 352 area code? I kinda like the old one to show where I was from.
It doesn't matter your area code or number as long as the Fire Department and first responders can find you. When you get here check with the Public Safety Department for their advice!
Old 12-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Default Area code

Then keep the old one!
Old 12-07-2020, 02:51 PM

I changed mine when I got a new cell phone. Have had no problems and like having the correct area code now.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:04 PM

We're going to keep our Minnesota cellphone numbers, since they are "clean" and easy to remember telephone numbers, not junky hard to remember telephone numbers. We also plan to add phone numbers with the local Florida area code. It's easy to do that, and it is free. You simply add a Google Voice app to your iPhone. Then you can forward the Google Voice number with the Florida area code to your original cellphone number. You can also make outgoing calls with Google Voice if you want the party you are calling to see a Florida area code number calling them. You can probably do the same with an Android cell phone.

If you have an iPhone, and you don't want junk calls, simply go to "settings", "phone", set "Silence Unknown Callers" to "on". To silence junk texts, go to "settings", "messages", turn on "Filter Unknown Senders". Those two things will stop the junk calls and junk texts. However, numbers that are unknown to you are then forced to leave messages. You can then add those unknown numbers to your contract list, and then those numbers can "ring through" and they can text you.Those are easy and quick steps that will put an end to the junk calls and junk texts, if you have an iPhone. There might be a method to silence junk calls and junk texts with an Android cell phone. Or, you can upgrade to an iPhone, which is clearly superior to an Android cell phone.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Nope

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-08-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you have a cable TV service, the digital "landline" is free or almost free, depending on the level of cable service you have. It can come in handy if you lose or break your cell phone.
I intended to use my free Google Voice line, with my Obihai box, which was a one time cost to interface the free Google Voice service with the telephone sets. But due to the Comcast package I was in with cable TV, Internet, and cable landline, it would actually have been more expensive to drop the cable landline out of the package. I ended up using the Google Voice and Obihai box to connect to my printer for a separate, free, FAX line.

One huge downside of the cable landline is all the junk telemarketing calls that pour through! We got about 4 to 5 junk calls per day. We bought a Digitone Call Blocker, and programmed the call blocker for the telephone numbers that normally call us. As a result, all the junk calls then stopped cold. The junk callers still try to call, but the telephone sets do not ring. They only ring with the programmed numbers that are allowed to ring the telephone sets. All others can only leave voicemail. Junk callers almost never leave voicemail. When a new number that you want to ring leaves a voicemail, you simply add that number, so it can ring though in the future.

You don't have to live with the annoyance of hearing the telephone ring, and it's an annoying junk telemarked calling you. You can put a permanent end to the annoyance in your life! It's not that expensive or hard to do. Then junk telemarketers can never ring your landline again!

DIGITONE ProSeries Blocker - Block Any RoboCall Name or Number

Here's the Obihai device that interfaces the free Google Voice line to your telephone sets, a one time cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi200...57382428&psc=1
Closed Thread

Tags
change, area, code, kinda, cellphone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.