Veteran assistance

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Default Veteran assistance

Does anyone know how to contact the volunteer verteran who assists with veteran affairs. Husband just diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma and it is on the agent orange list. The online fast track claim site won't work.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Does anyone know how to contact the volunteer verteran who assists with veteran affairs. Husband just diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma and it is on the agent orange list. The online fast track claim site won't work.
I am sorry to read about your husband....I'm prayers of many will go out to you both.

I believe there is a volunteer at the Sumter Cty building on Powell Road!

Also when I get back to my office in the AM, I will send an email to someone I know personally that may be able to help you.

Sometimes it is best to have one person that knows all of the VA benefits and how to get them....instead of many different on tracts at many different locations.

Suzy Toronto
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Go to the Veterans Service Office in the new Sumter County Government Annex Building off of 466-A near Wildwood (Powell Road, I think it is called). No appointment is necessary but I think they are not open every day so call first to make sure of their office hours (352) 689-4480. Take ID for your vet!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Sorry to hear about your husband. I would contact Veterans Claims Examiner Division Of Veterans Benefits & Assistance Tom Meattey 325-674-5095. You will need a copy of your DD214, if you do not have one should assist you. His office location is the VA Outpatient Clinic Room 162 on Mulberry Lane.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM

I got a service officer who had a office right in the VA, he was from the American Legion. These guys know the ropes and how to handle the paper work. My husband was a Agent Orange 100% service connected veteran, along with the service officer's help I wrote our senator, at that time was Ted Stevens and he expedited the claim, I never thought that would happen but we got a call from Ted Steven's office one day and the claim was approved in 3 months with everyone's help, I got a direct line to his assistant to help with any other matters that needed attention. The American legion and VFW all have service officers ready to help in these matters, the most kind, knowledgeable, helpful group of men and women, I still to this day talk to the group who helped us in Alaska and Seattle, WA.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeginnings View Post
I got a service officer who had a office right in the VA, he was from the American Legion. These guys know the ropes and how to handle the paper work. My husband was a Agent Orange 100% service connected veteran, along with the service officer's help I wrote our senator, at that time was Ted Stevens and he expedited the claim, I never thought that would happen but we got a call from Ted Steven's office one day and the claim was approved in 3 months with everyone's help, I got a direct line to his assistant to help with any other matters that needed attention. The American legion and VFW all have service officers ready to help in these matters, the most kind, knowledgeable, helpful group of men and women, I still to this day talk to the group who helped us in Alaska and Seattle, WA.
You are very lucky and had great connections..We are 5 months in and have been told up to eighteen months before we hear anything...Thanks to all that served..its just a long hard wait
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

To give you some reference. I filed an Agent Orange claim online July 2011. Received a physical and interview in Gainesville Nov 2012 and in January of this year I received notice in the mail that my claim was approved. So 18 months sounds just about right.

I didn't see any change in my medical care. My treatment for ailments is exactly the same now as it was before I was approved. The only difference is no co-pay on some services and no co-pay on some drugs. It wasn't a big amount anyway, you will receive a monthly check and backpay from the day you submitted your claim.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.