Did you know-Anonymous complaints made to districts is against our FEDERAL rights

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2021, 08:10 AM
Default Did you know-Anonymous complaints made to districts is against our FEDERAL rights

I have learned that in some districts that people who want to hide behind being anonymous can make complaints without the home owner ever knowing who is doing this. The District does not help, but rather elevates the problem. In our village we have someone who thinks they should be the designated mischief maker and our District board will not disclose who is being the cause of making a mountain out of a mole hill. If someone has a problem the District ought to require that another owner approach the neighbor with their personal concern before causing a major problem for all. There are enough power-over people/institutions/etc making life less tolerable and we ought to put out effort here to diminish this kind of behavior. I know of one happening in our village in which a spouse was concerned that the other spouse would have a heart attack over whatever the problem was. Rather than being a help, the trouble maker was being a problem in and of herself. Any suggestions, opinions would be appreciated. FL has some strict laws about stalking that all need to be aware of.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Without a rigorous legal analysis this is not useful. Cite statutes and case law. It is rarely a good idea to take legal advice from a bulletin board
Old 12-02-2021, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

This topic has been discussed more times than there are stars in the galaxy. Every argument has been made. Every opinion has been made.

In my opinion, the best "solution" to your "problem" is: Keep your property in compliance and complaints will not be needed.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Nothing in your post mentioned Federal rights. How do you believe anonymous complaints violate these?

There is a great difference between stalking and filing a complaint about a deed violation.

I don't like the anonymous complaint system, but I also would not like an angry neighbor standing on my doorstep arguing with me that *I* am the problem and not all weeds and statues in his lawn.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-02-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

stay compliant and whoever the tattle-tail is will move on to the next violator that they seek to bring to justice

these personalities have been around forever....

when the District tells you to correct something...do it, don't make a big deal

be thankful you're not in an HOA
Old 12-02-2021, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I have learned that in some districts that people who want to hide behind being anonymous can make complaints without the home owner ever knowing who is doing this. The District does not help, but rather elevates the problem. In our village we have someone who thinks they should be the designated mischief maker and our District board will not disclose who is being the cause of making a mountain out of a mole hill. If someone has a problem the District ought to require that another owner approach the neighbor with their personal concern before causing a major problem for all. There are enough power-over people/institutions/etc making life less tolerable and we ought to put out effort here to diminish this kind of behavior. I know of one happening in our village in which a spouse was concerned that the other spouse would have a heart attack over whatever the problem was. Rather than being a help, the trouble maker was being a problem in and of herself. Any suggestions, opinions would be appreciated. FL has some strict laws about stalking that all need to be aware of.
Don't think so. Cite valid references for your bold assertions about legality. If you can't, you should state that your title is an opinion.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

IMO Villages really makes it harder than it should be. For one no homeowner should know who turned in the complaint. But the district who has the authority over compliance should. The forum should have villages I’d number on it and that all. Now the district can see if complainers are in fact villagers and live in that district.

Beings each district may have different rules IMO this only way it should be ran. Don’t live in villages, it get trashed, don’t live in that district, it get trashed. Now the ones with authority has weed out the trash and now can investigate complaints brought forward to the district in question. If found to not in compliance then it’s between district and home owner. I am fine with compliance based village as long as it my neighborhood doing the complaining, not some troll from another district or out of area rat.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

I don’t know why people complain. When you purchased your house you were given a set of rules. Abide by them or move
Old 12-02-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Exactly
Old 12-02-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Click Bait.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

If one plays by the rules they signed when purchasing their home there would be no issue. What you think is good taste I may think is trash. However I have read the rules before purchase and my protection was one of the reasons to buy here. Don't like it - change the rules legally. Ask your district rep how can a covenant be changed. Do not break the rules and then put the illness on the complainer. What does it matter if the complaint is anonymous or not. You going to lynch the complainer for you breaking the rules?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Click Bait.
Seems to be those threads come in bunches. Something brings them out. SpaceX launches, full moons, 40 degree weather ?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
Were the complaints justified? If so then it really doesn't matter who did the complaining. If people are anonymously making false complaints then that comes under the heading of harassment and is an altogether different kettle of fish.

To be honest I really don't mind that people do this, as long as the complaints are legitimate. We moved here in large part BECAUSE of the regulations, not in spite of them. The homogeneity of the neighborhoods is attractive. I try to make sure we abide by those regulations but I wouldn't mind being reminded if it turned out that I was unknowingly violating one.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Click Bait.
It is so obvious - there are about 7 click bait topics and the original posts have typos - almost like on purpose
Old 12-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Click Bait.

And it works
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, district, village, spouse, making

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.