Did you know that Outback provides charging stations for electric golf carts?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Please post if you have had any experience with a golf-cart roof-top solar panel

Apart from the initial expense, they would seem to be a great way of trickle-charging your cart whenever you are out and about
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What is the cost for the electricity that is used to charge a golf cart for average use?
I'm told by the manufacturer (but I can't confirm) that my GEM costs approximately $90-$100 per year to charge. We bought the GEM when we bought our home here so we've never been able to separate out the cart electrical costs from the home electrical costs.

I'm sure some of it depends on actual cart usage/milage and we use our GEM to go everywhere so our electrical costs might be higher than what the manufacturer reports.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkics View Post
Would it be a benefit with the expansion of The Villages to have fast charging stations located throughout the community? Also if these stations could be located with GPS for convenience and trip planning, would that also be a benefit? I ask because well... I do this for a living. If anyone thinks this would be a good idea please let know. I would like to contact the local board of directors or the local municipality to propose the idea. Thanks!
And they should all have a gas pump next to the charging station so as not to discriminate against those that have gas carts. Another good idea would be for these locations to post a sign that says plug your charger into your cart each time you return to your garage, a practice that would obviate the need to recharge your cart at the local eatery.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
.......we've never been able to separate out the cart electrical costs from the home electrical costs. .......
Cappyjon, here would be one way to isolate the usage of the charger:

P3 - Kill A Watt

Bill
Old 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Cappyjon, here would be one way to isolate the usage of the charger:

P3 - Kill A Watt

Bill
Thanks Bill,that looks like an excellent solution. I think I'm going to purchase one (didn't see the price on the web site).

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Sage

cappyjon, I don't know if the company sells direct.

I bought a model P4460 from Amazon a while back. They had the best price for it at the time. Free shipping, too!

Click here ---> [ame=http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331414391&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Home Improvement[/ame]

Bill
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
cappyjon, I don't know if the company sells direct.

I bought a model P4460 from Amazon a while back. They had the best price for it at the time. Free shipping, too!

Click here ---> Amazon.com: P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor: Home Improvement

Bill
Thanks Bill, I just ordered one. Soon I'll be able to know how much it costs to charge my cart.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Sage
Default Here is an excerpt of a post from last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Check this post out as it relates to cost for electric "fuel". Maybe elevatorman has done more testing since that post.

Talk of The Villages - View Single Post - Golf Cart Expense

Assuming the numbers from the above post are accurate, it costs $1.74 to charge the cart after 70 miles of usage (10 miles/day) which is 2.5 cents per mile. Seems to match up with everything else I have read. PS. When I return, I will borrow a kilowatt meter and measure my packs exact charge requirements. One pack is 4 years old (6-8v) and one pack is 2 years old (8-6v).
Work was done by TOTV user elevatorman and lines up with my googling I have done in the past which is 2 - 2.5 cents cents per mile to charge.

PS to QUOTE PS. I never did get a kw meter as I thought I had found one for free. I never actually cared enough to buy one, but I am interested how pack configuration and state of pack affects the numbers. Maybe some day

Last edited by ajbrown; 03-10-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: subject, spelling, words, PS, etc. just about nothing right :)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
I'm told by the manufacturer (but I can't confirm) that my GEM costs approximately $90-$100 per year to charge. We bought the GEM when we bought our home here so we've never been able to separate out the cart electrical costs from the home electrical costs.

I'm sure some of it depends on actual cart usage/milage and we use our GEM to go everywhere so our electrical costs might be higher than what the manufacturer reports.
Wow...that cost is next to nothing for a year. Electric certainly does offer the less expensive option to power a golf cart.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Have been using Kill A Watt since 12/3/2011. I used 32 dollars of electric and I have put on 1402 miles on my cart during that time.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.