Salt water hot tub

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Default Salt water hot tub

Does anyone have an in-ground hot tub in which the water is purified by salt, rather than chlorine? Some friends of mine have salt purification for their in- ground pool. I'm wondering if the same method is available for hot tubs (spas). The salt water in their pool feels wonderful on the skin, whereas the chlorine in most hot tubs burns my eyes.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
Does anyone have an in-ground hot tub in which the water is purified by salt, rather than chlorine? Some friends of mine have salt purification for their in- ground pool. I'm wondering if the same method is available for hot tubs (spas). The salt water in their pool feels wonderful on the skin, whereas the chlorine in most hot tubs burns my eyes.
Mr. Darcy,

We asked that question of T&D and were told that a hot tub/spa is not large enough to use salt purification. They recommended another purifier. Interested if anyone has heard otherwise - we are about to get that project started!

k
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

There are chlorine alternatives, pristine blue is one that is simple that I liked and used.. but too much can turn your hair green (not bad for st. paddy's day)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Mr. Darcy,

We asked that question of T&D and were told that a hot tub/spa is not large enough to use salt purification. They recommended another purifier. Interested if anyone has heard otherwise - we are about to get that project started!

k

I would suggest researching further and maybe getting a 2nd opinion. Try Jack's Solar, 352-267-4903, he installed our salt chlorinator on our pool/spa and it also cost us less than what T&D wanted. I did a quick, I emphasize quick, internet search and found the below web site that says you can buy a salt chloirnator for spas that hold 600 - 2,000 gallons of water.
http://www.askalanaquestion.com/salt...ator_store.htm
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Gold member

This may be a dumb question, but does a salt water purifier make the water in the spa like salt water? If so, I'd rather deal with the chlorine or other chemical purifiers.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 PM

The salt water feels just like regular water...not like ocean salt water...but if you drink it, it is a bit salty!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
I would suggest researching further and maybe getting a 2nd opinion. Try Jack's Solar, 352-267-4903, he installed our salt chlorinator on our pool/spa and it also cost us less than what T&D wanted. I did a quick, I emphasize quick, internet search and found the below web site that says you can buy a salt chloirnator for spas that hold 600 - 2,000 gallons of water.
http://www.askalanaquestion.com/salt...ator_store.htm
Thanks SPK. We plan to use Jack for our solar.

k
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
This may be a dumb question, but does a salt water purifier make the water in the spa like salt water? If so, I'd rather deal with the chlorine or other chemical purifiers.

There is a slight salt content but nothing close to what you get when swimming in the ocean. I believe the water has a bit of a "soft" feel to it as compared to the harsher chlorine treated water.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.