Difference between Patio Villa and Courtyard Villa?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Default Difference between Patio Villa and Courtyard Villa?

Could someone explain the difference between a Patio Villa and Courtyard Villa? Then there are two types of Courtyard Villas: Bungalow and Cabana?

I've looked on the developers website but so far haven't found that information.

Thanks

I just found another thread with the differences explained. Great resource is TOTV if I just knew how to use it

Last edited by airbear; 02-23-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Found information in other posts....
Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Patio Villas are all 2/2 and small. There are two types of Courtyard Villas, one with vinyl and one that has stucco. For every vinyl, the same thing comes in stucco. We have a Bonifay in vinyl, but it is called a Charlotte in the stucco. Same exact floor plan! You can also notice the stuccos come with many upgrades to the exterior which don't come on the vinyl. Just a couple of small facts that should help you decide. Our realtor says no more patio villas being built and they are on the last set of vinyl for at least 6 months.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
Could someone explain the difference between a Patio Villa and Courtyard Villa? Then there are two types of Courtyard Villas: Bungalow and Cabana?

I just found another thread with the differences explained. Great resource is TOTV if I just knew how to use it
Courtyard villas have a walled back yard. Patio villas have a little picket fence in front and a very small (unfenced) back yard.

I see that you are a new member. Don't worry, TOTV is easy to navigate, and you will soon be able to use the website very efficiently.
The search button is definitely a great resource.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:34 PM

Courtyard villas sometimes have three bedrooms + two bathrooms as well.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Patio Villa - Think 1100 square foot apartment with a little patio.
Courtyard Villas come in a pretty wide range of sizes and number of beds. They all have a nice courtyard that is fenced in and a garage. Think more like a small house without a lot of the maintenance. They go up much higher in price than a patio villa.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

cabana courtyards are narrower (think shotgun shack)
and smaller in sq ft and have 2 to 3 bedrooms. Bungalow's are wider, larger in sq ft and carry a significantly higher price tag
Old 02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Patio villas approx 1163 sf, plus 10x11 (110 sf) front lanai - great for meeting neighbors and socializing, also a side patio..as big as some of the courtyard villas, has a garage with room for a golf cart. Large eat-in kitchen, good size LR and Dr, two full baths 2 bedrooms, large..the smallest being 12 x 12.4
Courtyard villas are this size and up, some 1600sf. Two and three bedrooms, kitchens smaller than patio villas but nice, lanai is at the rear with a small backyard, garage and golf cart space. Two baths.
55places.com under The Villages had floor plans also Lyle Real estate on this format has them.
Some people prefer one over the other. We like the patio villa look of the community as it has homey look and feel, and the kitchen layout of the Colony Patio Villa.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Default Corban Construction -- Buyer beware

I hired Corban Construction to do a project, demolish an lanai and build an addition in its place. The job was to take 2 months. It took 5 months. Delays resulted from poor planning, in attention to detail, not ordering the windows and door timely. Errors resulted from not following the written contract AND architectural drawings approved by the TV ARC and Sumter Co. Bldg Dept. Delays also resulted from the lack of supervision, lack of quality checks after each phase (concrete, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, siding, etc.), and lack of inspection of products some of which were damaged, others were wrong, or of poor quality.

Owner seems like a nice guy, but that doesn't mean his work is good or timely.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Patio villas are either 1163sf or 1188sf you will see lots of people on your front lanai. Courtyards are enclosed yards, starting at 1145sf and can go up to 1800sf. Your lanai is in the back and private. The garage is close to the same size holding car and golf cart. You will find more pets in the courtyard villas due to their yards.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

CYV's and Patio Villas are built in clusters or communities. Generally the CYV community is about 80 to 90 units and will have a wall around the exterior of the group with an entrance in two locations. Some groups can be bigger, I believe Alden Bungalows will be 180 units and Haciendas of Mission Hills is about 300 units. The Patio Villas will generally be grouped in 200 to 300 unit clusters without an exterior wall but an entrance with a community name. The group of homes will have a name that is different than the village name. For example we live in the Village of Tamarind Grove and the CYV community of Southern Star Villas.

In Tamarind Grove we have 5 CYV communities, 3 are masonry and 2 are vinyl stick built. They all use the same 6 floor plans but have different names depending on masonry or vinyl. There are two 2 BR plans and four 3 BR plans. The 2 BR have the option of a 10' bar or an eat-in kitchen with no bar. The laundry can be inside or in the garage, depending on the model. The floor plans are all on New Home Sales website.

This is a masonry CYV, they all have a fenced back yard. The homes in the community are generally the same color but there are some communities where the veneer changes from home to home.

The Villages Florida

This is a Patio Villa. They are all different colors even within the same community, they are all vinyl stick built homes. They generally have their lanai on the front unless it's a corner or end unit, then it maybe be on the side. The back of the home does not have a backyard exit. The sliding door is located on the side where their exterior patio is located.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoni View Post
Patio Villas are all 2/2 and small. There are two types of Courtyard Villas, one with vinyl and one that has stucco. For every vinyl, the same thing comes in stucco. We have a Bonifay in vinyl, but it is called a Charlotte in the stucco. Same exact floor plan! You can also notice the stuccos come with many upgrades to the exterior which don't come on the vinyl. Just a couple of small facts that should help you decide. Our realtor says no more patio villas being built and they are on the last set of vinyl for at least 6 months.
Not all patio villas are 2/2. There are some 1/1s as well.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSun View Post
I hired Corban Construction to do a project, demolish an lanai and build an addition in its place. The job was to take 2 months. It took 5 months. Delays resulted from poor planning, in attention to detail, not ordering the windows and door timely. Errors resulted from not following the written contract AND architectural drawings approved by the TV ARC and Sumter Co. Bldg Dept. Delays also resulted from the lack of supervision, lack of quality checks after each phase (concrete, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, siding, etc.), and lack of inspection of products some of which were damaged, others were wrong, or of poor quality.

Too bad you had problems with your addition.
Just a thought - you might want to start a new thread on construction projects.
Your information is kinda buried in this thread. I'd think that people considering construction projects may not see it here.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

I am not sure but I think the bond is less on a patio than a cyv
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSun View Post

OK, I guess that thoroughly explains the difference between a courtyard villa and a patio villa. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

One thing I noticed about courtyard villas is that you have to go through you neighbor's driveway to get to your backyard. They may be bigger but are also much closer together. They seem more like apartment living to me.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.