Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Once the snowbirds leave golf is a whole different world here.
Steve
That is true of most places and most activities in Florida.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

If you are comparing the physical house and associated fees, yes TV is not a great bargain. But TV is FAR more than the physical house. I’m not a golfer but I believe the golfers in TV are pretty happy. As for me it’s about the 2000+ clubs that allows one to keep busy 7 days a week. Also, the cleanliness is superior to most communities. Our, or my, existence in retirement involves more than where I put my head to pillow.

However, I do thank you for making the comparison. Information is always a good thing.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post

I don't golf. Not everyone does. And reviews I've read about both places concerning golf claim some significant waiting/reservation periods in TV and little to no waiting in OTOTW. In short, the popularity of TV for golfing is creating crowds and waits. The lack of popularity of OTOTW creates the opposite. It's the golf facility to golfer ratio that is most significant. In fact, TVs popularity in general creates crowds and waits for most activities.
I was curious after reading this statement. I find this statement to be wrong.
I went to the tee time system to see what/how many tee times were available for tomorrow Tuesday Feb 12.
I stopped counting at 75 for the championship and 75 for the executive courses.
If you want to play golf in TV you can, without waiting.
Unfortunately you must have "read where" right here on TOTV somebody's complaining no tee times. Digging deeper they most likely were complaining they could not get a tee time between 9:00 and 9:30 on one course.
The whole post included many generalizations and opinions not backed up with facts.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I went to the tee time system to see what/how many tee times were available for tomorrow Tuesday Feb 12.
Unfortunately you must have "read where" right here on TOTV somebody's complaining no tee times. Digging deeper they most likely were complaining they could not get a tee time between 9:00 and 9:30 on one course.
The whole post included many generalizations and opinions not backed up with facts.
Yep.
Steve
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Gold member

You got that right! We pay $45.00 a month!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Back in 2008 I wrote an opinion comparing prices in The Villages to prices of home in On Top of the World in Ocala on THIS thread.On top of the World prices compared to The Villages

At that time I said:

"On top of the World prices compared to The Villages

Here it is:

There are maintenance free block construction Villas in OTOTW that start in the high $80's with the majority being in the $90's to $120's. To get this price in The Villages (oh, you can't), but the closest you can get is to look at older manufactured/mobile homes in the so-called Historic District. Fixer uppers or pre-1976 mobile homes that can't be financed will be at the lower end of that range in TV. Very few homes start at $120,000 with most in the $129,000 to $140,000 range. Which would you rather be in when a Cat 2 hurricane or fringes of a tornado rip by - a block home or manufactured/mobile? Most resales in the newer sections start well above $160,000 and most of those are wood frame.

There is a difference in "amenity fees". In TV, the fee is currently $159. In OTOTW the fee is $417. But considering this fee includes lawn maintenance, exterior building maintenance, water, sewer, and trash disposal sites in additional to the community amenity package, I claim it a "wash." (The Villages: weekly lawn service $35 x 4 = $140 month, plus W&S = $60 a month, plus trash $25 a month, building maintenance and outside insurance leaves about $150 for amenities.

So, for low-end resale homes, my conclusion is there is more house, and more substantial house for the money in OTOTW. But, it can be said of TV that obviously used homes appreciate more because this price differential did not exist 11 years ago.
Since you are talking about a Courtyard Villa...Remove the grass end of lawn service. $$$ Saved ..You're Welcome in advance.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Since you are talking about a Courtyard Villa...Remove the grass end of lawn service. $$$ Saved ..You're Welcome in advance.
Actually, I am not speaking of courtyard villas. Those start in the high $190's +. I was speaking of the more affordable homes in the historic section - below $150,000. Every one of those have lawns. My whole comparison deals with comparing resale homes in the $80,000 to $130,000 price range in retirement communities with lots of amenities.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My comment was based on a number of observations speaking in generalizations. Obviously there are exceptions and situations where specific golfers are able to play sometime, somewhere the next day. Also, generally speaking, especially during snowbird season, snowbirds get first priority because they have played the least while full timers who previously played often must defer.

My experience has also been to arrive at least 45 minutes early to get a seat for many events. Dance lessons were particular noteworthy, with one or two instructors trying to teach a hundred people. It doesn't work, at least not well.

Last edited by gfmucci; 02-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I live I CYV with stone lawn. Actually IMO grass is easier to maintain due to the shrubs and bushes dropping leaves and twigs. Trying to get the rocks clean much harder that just mowing grass
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I live I CYV with stone lawn. Actually IMO grass is easier to maintain due to the shrubs and bushes dropping leaves and twigs. Trying to get the rocks clean much harder that just mowing grass
I agree. We also had a CYV without grass. We had several trees and lots of shrubs. To keep a tidy look it took an hour or two a week to keep things trimmed and cleaned up. Thing is, if you do it yourself without a lawn, at least you don't need a mower and edger and chinch bug and mole cricket spray.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Having looked at OTOTW several times before deciding on The Villages it appeared to us that OTOTW was appealing to person shopping for the best price, while The Villages was targeting the person looking for the best value.

The price you pay for the house here in The Villages is higher than most other places, but few offer anything close to the overall lifestyle value here. I guess it boils down to what you are looking to get out of your retirement years and how active you want to be.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Having looked at OTOTW several times before deciding on The Villages it appeared to us that OTOTW was appealing to person shopping for the best price, while The Villages was targeting the person looking for the best value.

The price you pay for the house here in The Villages is higher than most other places, but few offer anything close to the overall lifestyle value here. I guess it boils down to what you are looking to get out of your retirement years and how active you want to be.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

It's warmer here!!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Thanks for this post. The OP obviously has no real knowledge of golf in TV. I play three times a week in two different groups (two on championship courses and one on execs) and we never have any problem in getting a reasonable tee time.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

On Top of the World is the Premier Retirement Community in Florida

Tags
prices, homes, villages, ototw, maintenance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.