Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited
  #1  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM
gfmucci's Avatar
gfmucci gfmucci is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 719
Default Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Back in 2008 I wrote an opinion comparing prices in The Villages to prices of home in On Top of the World in Ocala on THIS thread.On top of the World prices compared to The Villages

At that time I said:

"On top of the World prices compared to The Villages
________________________________________
Even with "The Bond" rolled in, The Villages Prices are competitive with or better than "On Top of the World" prices based on an internet promotion I received from OTOTW this morning."
Now, 11 years later, I have a different opinion as regards RESALE homes. I haven't compared new home prices.

Here it is:

There are maintenance free block construction Villas in OTOTW that start in the high $80's with the majority being in the $90's to $120's. To get this price in The Villages (oh, you can't), but the closest you can get is to look at older manufactured/mobile homes in the so-called Historic District. Fixer uppers or pre-1976 mobile homes that can't be financed will be at the lower end of that range in TV. Very few homes start at $120,000 with most in the $129,000 to $140,000 range. Which would you rather be in when a Cat 2 hurricane or fringes of a tornado rip by - a block home or manufactured/mobile? Most resales in the newer sections start well above $160,000 and most of those are wood frame.

There is a difference in "amenity fees". In TV, the fee is currently $159. In OTOTW the fee is $417. But considering this fee includes lawn maintenance, exterior building maintenance, water, sewer, and trash disposal sites in additional to the community amenity package, I claim it a "wash." (The Villages: weekly lawn service $35 x 4 = $140 month, plus W&S = $60 a month, plus trash $25 a month, building maintenance and outside insurance leaves about $150 for amenities.

So, for low-end resale homes, my conclusion is there is more house, and more substantial house for the money in OTOTW. But, it can be said of TV that obviously used homes appreciate more because this price differential did not exist 11 years ago.
__________________
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 PM
skyking skyking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 233
Default

If you are paying $140 A month for lawn maintenance you're getting ripped off.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Fraugoofy Fraugoofy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Back in 2008 I wrote an opinion comparing prices in The Villages to prices of home in On Top of the World in Ocala on THIS thread.On top of the World prices compared to The Villages



At that time I said:


"On top of the World prices compared to The Villages

________________________________________

Even with "The Bond" rolled in, The Villages Prices are competitive with or better than "On Top of the World" prices based on an internet promotion I received from OTOTW this morning."


Now, 11 years later, I have a different opinion as regards RESALE homes. I haven't compared new home prices.



Here it is:



There are maintenance free block construction Villas in OTOTW that start in the high $80's with the majority being in the $90's to $120's. To get this price in The Villages (oh, you can't), but the closest you can get is to look at older manufactured/mobile homes in the so-called Historic District. Fixer uppers or pre-1976 mobile homes that can't be financed will be at the lower end of that range in TV. Very few homes start at $120,000 with most in the $129,000 to $140,000 range. Which would you rather be in when a Cat 2 hurricane or fringes of a tornado rip by - a block home or manufactured/mobile? Most resales in the newer sections start well above $160,000 and most of those are wood frame.



There is a difference in "amenity fees". In TV, the fee is currently $159. In OTOTW the fee is $417. But considering this fee includes lawn maintenance, exterior building maintenance, water, sewer, and trash disposal sites in additional to the community amenity package, I claim it a "wash." (The Villages: weekly lawn service $35 x 4 = $140 month, plus W&S = $60 a month, plus trash $25 a month, building maintenance and outside insurance leaves about $150 for amenities.



So, for low-end resale homes, my conclusion is there is more house, and more substantial house for the money in OTOTW. But, it can be said of TV that obviously used homes appreciate more because this price differential did not exist 11 years ago.
Have you been to OTOW? Absolutely no comparison in my book, financial or otherwise...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,704
Default

Everyone see's thing's differently.

I know there is a 99-year lease on the land in TOTW.

I know I own the property where I live in The Villages.

What is your motivation for pointing out your opinion here? Just wondering? Did you make the move to The Villages? Did you make the move to OTOW?

When I asked about 5 years ago what happens when the 99-year lease expires at OTOW they said don't worry you won't be around. Not an answer. For that reason and others we are happy here. So far.

Peace Out!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 PM
TheWarriors TheWarriors is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 42
Default

It’s like comparing a Ferrari to an Accord, both get you there but only one is truly an experience to treasure!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
If you are paying $140 A month for lawn maintenance you're getting ripped off.
I'll say. We pay fifty bucks a month.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 PM
rjm1cc's Avatar
rjm1cc rjm1cc is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,636
Default

I think your start your choice with the size of the community.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM
collie1228 collie1228 is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Villa San Antonio; Formerly Syracuse, New York
Posts: 989
Default

I think your analysis should mention that the amenity fee in The Villages includes golf on 40 executive golf courses. I don't know much about OTOTW, but I'm certain their amenity fee doesn't include anything like that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
It’s like comparing a Ferrari to an Accord, both get you there but only one is truly an experience to treasure!



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 AM
NatureBoy NatureBoy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 37
Default

Thank you for doing this analysis. Clearly there are many other factors in play beyond sticker price. Total cost of ownership & total value received depend a lot on how many of the amenities TV offers a person uses.

I can't say I've done exhaustive research, but TV seems to give very good value for the dollar - even compared to the big Del Webb places. But a lot depends on what you value.
__________________
"This world hasn't been the same since they brought the outside john indoors." - Skip Smith
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prices, homes, villages, ototw, maintenance

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.