Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
If you are paying $140 A month for lawn maintenance you're getting ripped off.
That would be true if it was merely "lawn mowing." I understand it includes mowing, edging, trimming shrubs, and lawn insect control.

Skyking. I took care of my own yard while 9 years in TV because I didn't want to pay that much for service I wasn't satisfied with. If you pay much less than that, your lawn probably looks like crap if you don't supplement the service with your own labor and chemicals. To be fair, I also understand that there are some in OTOTW who aren't satisfied with the level of lawn care provided.

Nucky. You ask what is my motivation? I'm retired - same motivation you had for responding to my post. Seriously, my motivation for bringing this up? To bring my initial 13 year old post, which is now misleading and unrepresentative of the pricing of lower priced resale homes in each area, up to date. And I like to write and compare things.

collie1228: I don't golf. Not everyone does. And reviews I've read about both places concerning golf claim some significant waiting/reservation periods in TV and little to no waiting in OTOTW. In short, the popularity of TV for golfing is creating crowds and waits. The lack of popularity of OTOTW creates the opposite. It's the golf facility to golfer ratio that is most significant. In fact, TVs popularity in general creates crowds and waits for most activities.

I understand TV is 10 times larger, has fee simple ownership without maintenance built into the fees and has publicly maintained and publicly accessible streets which helps keep fees down. Each community caters to a different market. I also noted that appreciation of lower end homes was greater in TV than OTOTW - prices have appreciated more for manufactured homes in the historic district than for block-constructed villas in the original section of OTOTW. That difference in appreciation resulted in the OTOTW Villas becoming less expensive, and therefor potentially a better value for those looking for a lower cost, safer, maintenance free home.

I'm also noting that it is easier to type TV than it is to type OTOTW in all caps.

I'm sure many will disagree with some or all I wrote. That is the fun of forums, isn't it?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley

Last edited by gfmucci; 02-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
That would be true if it was merely "lawn mowing." I understand it includes mowing, edging, trimming shrubs, and lawn insect control.

Skyking. I took care of my own yard while 9 years in TV because I didn't want to pay that much for service I wasn't satisfied with. If you pay much less than that, your lawn probably looks like crap if you don't supplement the service with your own labor and chemicals. To be fair, I also understand that there are some in OTOTW who aren't satisfied with the level of lawn care provided.

Nucky. You ask what is my motivation? I'm retired - same motivation you had for responding to my post. Seriously, my motivation for bringing this up? To bring my initial 13 year old post, which is now misleading and unrepresentative of the pricing of lower priced resale homes in each area, up to date. And I like to write and compare things.

collie1228: I don't golf. Not everyone does. And reviews I've read about both places concerning golf claim some significant waiting/reservation periods in TV and little to no waiting in OTOTW. In short, the popularity of TV for golfing is creating crowds and waits. The lack of popularity of OTOTW creates the opposite. It's the golf facility to golfer ratio that is most significant. In fact, TVs popularity in general creates crowds and waits for most activities.

I understand TV is 10 times larger, has fee simple ownership without maintenance built into the fees and has publicly maintained and publicly accessible streets which helps keep fees down. Each community caters to a different market. I also noted that appreciation of lower end homes was greater in TV than OTOTW - prices have appreciated more for manufactured homes in the historic district than for block-constructed villas in the original section of OTOTW. That difference in appreciation resulted in the OTOTW Villas becoming less expensive, and therefor potentially a better value for those looking for a lower cost, safer, maintenance free home.

I'm also noting that it is easier to type TV than it is to type OTOTW in all caps.

I'm sure many will disagree with some or all I wrote. That is the fun of forums, isn't it?
I remember you, sir. You had just moved from Destin or were moving from Destin, or thinking about moving from Destin, when I started posting on this forum and I asked if this place was a scam because it seemed too good to be true, and you jumped all over me and I was very surprised. I was new at forums but I have learned a lot since then. Did you leave The Villages?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Once the snowbirds leave golf is a whole different world here.
Steve
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Steve
Everything here is, Steve. Seven more weeks?

Very appreciative of them, but those rascals make it crowded.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I remember you, sir. You had just moved from Destin or were moving from Destin, or thinking about moving from Destin, when I started posting on this forum and I asked if this place was a scam because it seemed too good to be true, and you jumped all over me and I was very surprised. I was new at forums but I have learned a lot since then. Did you leave The Villages?
By "jumping all over" you, do you mean that I expressed a litany of reasons why The Villages was NOT a scam and was in fact a great place? Yes, we've been gone from the area for a couple of years. We may return, either back to TV or elsewhere in the area. I trust I gave you the truth back then. Are you glad you made the move?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Steve
That is true of most places and most activities in Florida.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

If you are comparing the physical house and associated fees, yes TV is not a great bargain. But TV is FAR more than the physical house. I’m not a golfer but I believe the golfers in TV are pretty happy. As for me it’s about the 2000+ clubs that allows one to keep busy 7 days a week. Also, the cleanliness is superior to most communities. Our, or my, existence in retirement involves more than where I put my head to pillow.

However, I do thank you for making the comparison. Information is always a good thing.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post

I don't golf. Not everyone does. And reviews I've read about both places concerning golf claim some significant waiting/reservation periods in TV and little to no waiting in OTOTW. In short, the popularity of TV for golfing is creating crowds and waits. The lack of popularity of OTOTW creates the opposite. It's the golf facility to golfer ratio that is most significant. In fact, TVs popularity in general creates crowds and waits for most activities.
I was curious after reading this statement. I find this statement to be wrong.
I went to the tee time system to see what/how many tee times were available for tomorrow Tuesday Feb 12.
I stopped counting at 75 for the championship and 75 for the executive courses.
If you want to play golf in TV you can, without waiting.
Unfortunately you must have "read where" right here on TOTV somebody's complaining no tee times. Digging deeper they most likely were complaining they could not get a tee time between 9:00 and 9:30 on one course.
The whole post included many generalizations and opinions not backed up with facts.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I was curious after reading this statement. I find this statement to be wrong.
I went to the tee time system to see what/how many tee times were available for tomorrow Tuesday Feb 12.
I stopped counting at 75 for the championship and 75 for the executive courses.
If you want to play golf in TV you can, without waiting.
Unfortunately you must have "read where" right here on TOTV somebody's complaining no tee times. Digging deeper they most likely were complaining they could not get a tee time between 9:00 and 9:30 on one course.
The whole post included many generalizations and opinions not backed up with facts.
Yep.
Steve
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

You got that right! We pay $45.00 a month!

Tags
prices, homes, villages, ototw, maintenance