Difference in home prices between TV and On Top of the World Revisited

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Having looked at OTOTW several times before deciding on The Villages it appeared to us that OTOTW was appealing to person shopping for the best price, while The Villages was targeting the person looking for the best value.

The price you pay for the house here in The Villages is higher than most other places, but few offer anything close to the overall lifestyle value here. I guess it boils down to what you are looking to get out of your retirement years and how active you want to be.
I agree! We came to the same conclusion.

We visited three times, different days and hours. The houses are attractive and well-priced, but there are very few people out and about. The sense of community we in TV enjoy was not there.

We chose TV, and nearly 4 years later, no regrets.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
I agree! We came to the same conclusion.

We visited three times, different days and hours. The houses are attractive and well-priced, but there are very few people out and about. The sense of community we in TV enjoy was not there.

We chose TV, and nearly 4 years later, no regrets.

SO AGREE.
Me and mine. We LOVE The Villages.

I know. I know. I am tiresome.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Yea, if you walk on the executive golf course....otherwise it cost over $100 for six months if you choose to use you're got cart!
Old 02-24-2019, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Yea, if you walk on the executive golf course....otherwise it cost over $100 for six months if you choose to use you're got cart!

Or $141 for 12 months. (has been for years!) Which is great if this is your home and not your vacation destination or your golfing destination.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
So, your point is?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Included in your priority membership
Old 02-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Included in your priority membership
Also if you pay the 141 yearly trail fee
Steve
Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Up in RI there were a bunch of houses on a lake that had a 99 year lease, a few years ago the leases came up. The new owner told the house owners that he wanted them to get off the property. As you can imagine, people (who had spent years there and made many upgrades on their houses) were very upset. The owner said they could take their house or sell the to him (cheap). After some lawsuits (which I'm not sure made any difference) and some government intervention, they all came to some understanding and they could stay. Not sure what to final agreement was, but the point is that after the lease is up, it's up in the air what happens.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:55 PM

I have been staying in TV for the past 4 winters at an Aunts house. This year I decided to find a place in FL to buy for next winter. I went to OTOTW and many others. None of them compare to TV! OTOTW was the closest but still not comparable when it comes to an active community. We were there on a late Saturday morning in February and during our hour tour saw less than 20 residents! The town square was empty, nothing was open. When I asked about this I was told most people were probably grocery shopping. Really! I will be back to TV in the fall to decide on my winter home. Any suggestions on what I should look for or stay away from? I know we want a Roman shower and a golf car garage.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
SO AGREE.
Me and mine. We LOVE The Villages.

I know. I know. I am tiresome.
Not to us. Who was the first to make us feel at home when we were rudderless? New Kids on the block. Lost and unsure of ourselves. I know who loved us while Mrs. Nucky had tears streaming down her face over doubting our decision. Who gave it to us straight, give it time here and you will probably love it and if not get your money back and move back to hells half an acre where you can die from shoveling snow. That would be You Graciegirl, Henry & Helene & The Kitty Cats!

We stopped at OTOW so I could show Mrs. Nucky what the alternative was to The Villages. I'm glad we picked here and so is the Wifey. Our relationship with our kids and grandchildren is better than ever because each visit is special not just run of the mill and we are not babysitters anymore we got promoted to grandparents. Nobody at OTOW even said hello. We just didn't feel a part of. We were greeted like royalty here and are grateful to everyone who made us feel that way. Someone on day one said to me at the pool, Where you from son? I said NJ and he said I knew it because of your Big Mouf!

I try to pay back the kindness to new people when possible. There is no price tag that can be put on the friendliness of the residents of The Villages. What we have is $$ PRICELESS $$.

I couldn't stand not getting a straight answer at OTOW about the property ownership, nobody of authority would give verbal or more importantly Written Guidelines about a 99-year lease. It might have been an acceptable thing if they answered any questions about it. They did not.

I like to own the Property that the Love Shack sits on. It makes me sleep better than The My Pillow Products.

We've made some great friends here and some of them we haven't even met yet. It's because of the Bolts in my neck and I look like Herman Munster!

Last edited by Nucky; 03-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

I like to own the Property that the Love Shack sits on. It makes me sleep better than The My Pillow Products.
Some communities you lease the land and your HOA fees includes most outside maintenance. In others you buy the land and are responsible for all maintenance.

My guess is no one knew what happens at the end of the 99 years but I will agree communications is a problem.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
Back in 2008 I wrote an opinion comparing prices in The Villages to prices of home in On Top of the World in Ocala on THIS thread.On top of the World prices compared to The Villages

At that time I said:

"On top of the World prices compared to The Villages

Here it is:

There are maintenance free block construction Villas in OTOTW that start in the high $80's with the majority being in the $90's to $120's. To get this price in The Villages (oh, you can't), but the closest you can get is to look at older manufactured/mobile homes in the so-called Historic District. Fixer uppers or pre-1976 mobile homes that can't be financed will be at the lower end of that range in TV. Very few homes start at $120,000 with most in the $129,000 to $140,000 range. Which would you rather be in when a Cat 2 hurricane or fringes of a tornado rip by - a block home or manufactured/mobile? Most resales in the newer sections start well above $160,000 and most of those are wood frame.

There is a difference in "amenity fees". In TV, the fee is currently $159. In OTOTW the fee is $417. But considering this fee includes lawn maintenance, exterior building maintenance, water, sewer, and trash disposal sites in additional to the community amenity package, I claim it a "wash." (The Villages: weekly lawn service $35 x 4 = $140 month, plus W&S = $60 a month, plus trash $25 a month, building maintenance and outside insurance leaves about $150 for amenities.

So, for low-end resale homes, my conclusion is there is more house, and more substantial house for the money in OTOTW. But, it can be said of TV that obviously used homes appreciate more because this price differential did not exist 11 years ago.
So I assume that you'll be moving to OTOTW soon. How much are you asking for your Villages home?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I'll say. We pay fifty bucks a month.
I pay $35 a month.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Gold member

I'm only paying $45 a month for my lawn.
Closed Thread

Tags
prices, homes, villages, ototw, maintenance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.