Different Responses to the Sumter County 25% Tax Hike

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Gold member
Default Different Responses to the Sumter County 25% Tax Hike

The Sumter County website states: “An impact fee is a one time charge applied to new construction. The purpose of the fee is to fund capital projects for roads (such as construction, land acquisition, [sic]). Impact fees can be charges for parks, schools, jails, ambulances and other infrastructure needs that may occur due to new development.”

An impact fee is paid by the builder of a new house when he gets his building permit.

In order to pay for the massive infrastructure impact of the Developer’s massive expansion of The Villages, the Developer’s toadies on the County Commission imposed a 25 percent property-tax increase on Sumter County residents instead of increasing the Developer’s impact fee. The Developer’s impact fee was already set at a sweetheart rate ($901/house for the Developer versus $2,600/for a single-family house outside The Villages in Sumter County and versus $20,000/house in a retirement community in Collier County). It appears by enacting the tax increase in lieu of an increased impact fee, the Commissioners saved the Developer well over $100,000,000 and cost the taxpayers the same amount.

Both the Property Owners’ Association (the “POA”) and the deceptively named Villages Homeowners Advocates (the “VHA”) responded to this outrage, but in starkly different ways. Their different responses show which organization advocates for the residents and which one advocates for the Developer.

The POA Bulletin devoted most of its latest issue to describing the misconduct involved in the recent property tax increase.

In the VHA’s latest bulletin, which is delivered by the Developer’s Daily Sun, the VHA President says, “A significant number of our members have approached me about why The VHA has not made more noise about the planned tax increase in Sumter County. I want you to know that The VHA is very interested in this issue and is in communication with the County Commissioners about it. It is, however, not The VHA’s role to be involved in what is rapidly becoming a political fight….It is not the Developer’s fault….”

That attitude tells you all you need to know about the VHA, but readers should also understand that the Developer promotes VHA officials to political positions. Commissioner Burgess is a former VHA president, and Commissioner Butler is a former VHA director. By the way, both are up for re-election as Commissioner next year. (One would hope that they have the good sense not to seek reelection.)

VHA members may want to think about the above when deciding whether or not to renew their memberships.

Full disclosure: My name is Scott Fenstermaker. I am a member of the POA and sporadically attend their membership meetings. I have never been an officer or director of the POA. I used to also be a member of the VHA, but I let my membership expire some years ago once I realized the relationship of that organization with the Developer. I have collaborated with no one in the POA in writing the above article, and the views expressed therein are solely my own.

Last edited by Advogado; 10-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Some criticism of your post, Scott.

Hyperbole and strawman arguments overshadow what would otherwise be good points.

Stop referring to them as toadies. Stop calling the situation an outrage. Ditch the comparison to the Collier County developer fee completely. Stop calling it a sweetheart deal.

EVEN IF THOSE THINGS ARE TRUE: continued ad nauseam rhetoric using these terms makes you look like someone with a political agenda, and not like someone who actually sincerely gives a hoot about the situation itself.

I actually agree with most of what you write but the way you present it makes me want to dissociate.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Hyperbole and strawman arguments overshadow what would otherwise be good points.

Stop referring to them as toadies. Stop calling the situation an outrage. Ditch the comparison to the Collier County developer fee completely. Stop calling it a sweetheart deal.

EVEN IF THOSE THINGS ARE TRUE: continued ad nauseam rhetoric using these terms makes you look like someone with a political agenda, and not like someone who actually sincerely gives a hoot about the situation itself.

I actually agree with most of what you write but the way you present it makes me want to dissociate.
I don't agree with most of what he writes. But I do agree about it being political and your other points.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Good post Advogado!

The VHA is less than worthless, in fact it's actually harmful...to protecting the interest of TV's residents.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:

With all due respect, if you think that my language regarding the 25% tax hike is hyperbolic, you do not understand the stench of what has transpired. If anything, my language, including “Developer's toadies”, is restrained. What straw-man arguments have I made?

Did you attend either of the public hearings conducted by the County Commissioners?

As to my agenda, it should be clear from my original post, but in case it is not: MY AGENDA IS TO GET ALL 5 OF THE PRESENT COUNTY COMMISSIONERS REPLACED BY CHALLENGERS WHO ARE COMPETENT AND ARE INDEPENDENT OF THE DEVELOPER. That is not a political agenda. It is a call for honest, representative government.

In conclusion, can you find even one factual error in my original post? If so, please let me know, and I will gladly correct it.

Last edited by Advogado; 10-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the warning. Now I will not even read Scott's post.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Rather than offering information as to what can be done for the citizens if/when elected, we get a lot of "that guy is bad and we need to get rid of him".

OK. Let's say things change for this one issue, and the impact fees are raised and taxes lowered. Then what?
Old 10-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Then we can celebrate that the common peoples’ voice was heard.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Thanks for the warning. Now I will not even read Scott's post.
I disagree with that and would like to offer another opinion: Continue to read, but take into account everyone's view, not just that of one person. IMO, there are good points in both their views.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:22 PM

they should ALL resign for total Incompetence!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy (SSBN 633) View Post
they should ALL resign for total Incompetence!!!!!!

That probably will not happen due to all the politics involved. I fear we are in modern-day bubba country.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:

Dude, nicely said!!!!

Old 10-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Dude, nicely said!!!!

For future reference, she's a dudess.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
With all due respect, if you think that my language regarding the 25% tax hike is hyperbolic, you do not understand the stench of what has transpired. If anything, my language, including “Developer's toadies”, is restrained. What straw-man arguments have I made?

Did you attend either of the public hearings conducted by the County Commissioners?

As to my agenda, it should be clear from my original post, but in case it is not: MY AGENDA IS TO GET ALL 5 OF THE PRESENT COUNTY COMMISSIONERS REPLACED BY CHALLENGERS WHO ARE COMPETENT AND ARE INDEPENDENT OF THE DEVELOPER. That is not a political agenda. It is a call for honest, representative government.

In conclusion, can you find even one factual error in my original post? If so, please let me know, and I will gladly correct it.

Appears the $100mil is over stated.

What is the support for this claim??
Old 10-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
For future reference, she's a dudess.

Thank-you...................but it's generic (in my small mind).

Can I say dude to a girl?
So of course you can say dude to a girl very close to you. Its informal word. ... It's not as common as using it with guys, but yes you can use it with girls. Girls also use it with other girls.

Tags
vha, impact, county, developer’s, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.