Difficulty using AmEx card in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Five year old thread. Let's see who revived it............

That original poster and his wife have probably lived here for five years and I will bet you a nickel that he isn't worried about it now.

What say you Navy guy?

Navy Guy
Last Activity: 09-10-2007 05:15 PM
Total posts - 2
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_guy View Post
I'm not yet a resident of the Villages, but my wife and I hope to move here soon. We've spent a couple of weekends, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and we're sure this is where we want to retire. I've only found one thing that irritates me: most of the merchants in The Villages WON'T take American Express. May not seem like a big deal, but my Amex Card is the only one I use for credit purchases. As a consumer, I've found American Express to be extremely accommodating when it comes to questionable charges, and when I need to call them, I always get to talk to a person - not a (*&^^$!! machine.

I understand that Amex charges the merchant a bit more than other cards, but it's not enough to send any of 'em into bankruptcy. It's also not "corporate policy", because the Villages takes American Express when we pay up front for our lodging costs. My wife's American Express gives us a 2% rebate on purchases, and mine is a frequent flyer card, and I've gotten several free flights with it. We'd both hate to give those 'perks' up.

If more people would insist that merchants take American Express, and start buying from someone who does, the merchants would take Amex in one heckuva hurry. Anyone with me on this, or am I a 'majority' of 1? :dontknow:

Let me just say, though, that that's a small thing. We LOVE The Villages, and all the really great people we've met.
WHAT I DISCOVERED, OVER THE YEARS, IS THE UNPOPULARITY OF AMX IS THAT THEY ARE SLLLOOOWWWW TO PAY THEIR VENDORS. 90-180 DAYS IS NOT UNUSUAL. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE NOT LOVED BY THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY !!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Sage

With business profit margins so close to the cost line, some small vendors and businesses simply cannot afford to pay you the % as cash back to you that is charged by some of the card companies for no other reason than to get your business. Suck up the 1 or 2 % and use a Visa or Mastercard. The cash back is nothing but a scam for the most part.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We only had AMEX, so I got a VISA after we moved here. I get points on the Visa, as well, plus I THINK...I can transfer my balance to my AMEX and get bonus points. I have been meaning to do some research on that. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
With business profit margins so close to the cost line, some small vendors and businesses simply cannot afford to pay you the % as cash back to you that is charged by some of the card companies for no other reason than to get your business. Suck up the 1 or 2 % and use a Visa or Mastercard. The cash back is nothing but a scam for the most part.
We travel abroad a lot and most merchants quit AMEX years ago because they were too slow to pay merchants. Even longer ago than this 5 year old post.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
TOTV Moderator

Yes, a 5+ year old thread but some fresh thoughts. We did, at least, change the thread title from a generic complaint to AmEx specific so people will better recognize the topic.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

I don't use credit, 99% of the time I use cash and only if I have to for travel I use my debit card.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

Haven't had an AmEx card in years. Was trying to think of anyone I know who has or uses one, and I can't think of a single person who does.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Most don't take discover too.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The AMEX card not being taken is not unique to TV. It is in retail in general, especially the smaller businesses that can get visa and master charge rates of 1.5% or even less.....not so with AMEX.

When it is said there is no reason for businesses to not take AMEX, that is from the AMEX consumer point of view only. From the business owners point of view there is a very good reason....why give up another 1% + + profit to handle AMEX when 90% ++ use visa and MC?

The impact on business for not taking AMEX is very negligable...that is why so many do not.

btk
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Actually I still use Amex most of the time. Other than that my debit card. When I first used moved here no one took Amex, but now they are accepted at most places. Even the country clubs take it now.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

I can remember when AmEx was "Thee" card. Makes me also think of Carte Blanche & Diner's Club. Are they still functional?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Sage

In our stores we pay 1.65% on all cards, AE is 2.75%, we look at the average costs.
Therefore, we take them.

The % a merchant pays is based on average sale dollars and gross annual receipts.
There R further deals the your processing banks offer such as 0 transaction fees etc.

It is all negotiated between the merchant and their processing bank.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I can remember when AmEx was "Thee" card. Makes me also think of Carte Blanche & Diner's Club. Are they still functional?
According to Wikipedia, Diners Club still exists but Carte Blanche went away in the late 80s:

Diners Club International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_guy View Post
I'm not yet a resident of the Villages, but my wife and I hope to move here soon. We've spent a couple of weekends, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and we're sure this is where we want to retire. I've only found one thing that irritates me: most of the merchants in The Villages WON'T take American Express. May not seem like a big deal, but my Amex Card is the only one I use for credit purchases. As a consumer, I've found American Express to be extremely accommodating when it comes to questionable charges, and when I need to call them, I always get to talk to a person - not a (*&^^$!! machine.

I understand that Amex charges the merchant a bit more than other cards, but it's not enough to send any of 'em into bankruptcy. It's also not "corporate policy", because the Villages takes American Express when we pay up front for our lodging costs. My wife's American Express gives us a 2% rebate on purchases, and mine is a frequent flyer card, and I've gotten several free flights with it. We'd both hate to give those 'perks' up.

If more people would insist that merchants take American Express, and start buying from someone who does, the merchants would take Amex in one heckuva hurry. Anyone with me on this, or am I a 'majority' of 1? :dontknow:

Let me just say, though, that that's a small thing. We LOVE The Villages, and all the really great people we've met.
It's not just in TV but also throughout FL. Merchants feel that AMEX is an expensive co to deal with.

I've been told by people in the know that AMEX is accepted by the Developer and any entities that he owns. Restaurants under the Developer now accept AMEX such as Cane Garden, Nancy Lopez, and Palmer. But privately owned Malory restaurant does not. You can pay for priority golf , tennis, and pool with AMEX.

It is the district government and its entities thar do not accept AMEX. Since the rec centers are under the individual CDD's, AMEX is not accepted as payment there. Also, the executive golf courses are under the District so you can't pay your trail fee or regional rec center gym membership using AMEX.

The situation is confusing at best.

It's a crazy world. Sams Club doesn't take VISA. Now who would have thought.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.