Which direction for TV lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Lanai directional comparison - thanks to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Last year I went through many different threads on this issue and came up with the following summary. Remember, this is a summary from others' opinioins, so please don't flame me as I'm just the messenger:

North - Less sun on the lanai at all year round. Plus, in the winter FL gets some north winds, which can make this direction overly cool on winter days. Best direction for those who don’t like much sun.

South - All seasons this seems to be the best overall direction as both the Summer heat and Winter cool are moderated. Year round residents usually like this best.

East - Gets early sun; cooler in the afternoons. Nice if you like to have early morning coffee on the lanai and enjoy the early morning sun. Some home models will have a bright master bedroom in the morning as many have a patio door from the master bedroom to the lanai.

West - Cool in the morning; can be very hot in the afternoons. Can be unbearable in lanai. Best if you enjoy heat and don’t want to eat dinner on the lanai. This is the direction that many people complain about, but some love it. Great view of sunsets.
Thanks to all who replied to my original post. Collie -- seems as if you summed it up objectively. I was just looking for a comparison of the differences.

But as many of you say, "better any lanai direction than no direction." In other words, get your bu__ to TV and reap the multi-benefits of TV Paradise. We accept that advice! We'll be in TV Feb. 5-12 for vacation & house hunting.

Gene (almost retired) & Kathy (retired)
TV-soon! We'll be frogs.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Gold member

We still live in Central NY, and our beautiful large deck faces due west. We are never able to sit out there on mid-summer afternoons, as the bright sun and heat become unbearable. For that reason, when we buy our house in TV, a west facing lanai is a non-starter for us.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum member

Our lanai faces south, because being able to bask in the winter/spring/fall sun was very important to me. We have breakfast on the lanai, lunch on the lanai, and sometimes we even eat dinner at home! lol
IMHO, summertime is too hot to be outside in the afternoon no matter which direction your lanai faces.
Judy the Basker
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Our lanai faces south, because being able to bask in the winter/spring/fall sun was very important to me. We have breakfast on the lanai, lunch on the lanai, and sometimes we even eat dinner at home! lol
IMHO, summertime is too hot to be outside in the afternoon no matter which direction your lanai faces.
Judy the Basker
I agree 100% with Judy. We found a resale CYV with the perfect location and our first choice floorplan, with wonderful neighbors who all came out immediately to meet and greet and invite us in. With all of that and other amenities as well, the sliding glass doors on the west side that allow the afternoon sun to blaze in, were far outweighed by the other factors above. In summer/fall/spring, we pull the opaque blinds. But in winter, the sun pouring in there is luscious, especially if you came from the dreary northern winters.

As the song goes, "Life is what you make it!"
Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM

I would not select West for the lanai direction as it is way to hot during most of the year...especially summer. You will not be able to eat dinner or entertain during most of the months. I have had one lanai due East and one due West and my suggestion to you is go East,North or South....but not West...IMHO.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.