Golf Cart & Gates

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Default Golf Cart & Gates

Is there a 'law' that governs golf carts and gates. When driving through the Belvedere gate, it gets very 'uneasy' when a golf cart passes through on one's right and ... a the auto to the ir left is going to make an immediate right hand turn! If I am on my golf cart, I stay in lane behind other vehicles and use my gate pass. Others pass by on the right side and this seems risky. Is there a 'law' that governs this situation.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Default Re: Golf Cart & Gates

Just use common sense ! ! !
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Eternal Member

This is a problem gate. At one time, they put a concrete curb in the cart lane to force the carts into the automobile lane. Very few people in carts carry a gate card so the traffic backed up while they buzzed to get the gate opened. They eventually got rid of the concrete barriers and they are back to square one.

No one should be turning in front of carts. They are probably new or not paying attention. But this is true on any street where you are in the cart lane and the car is next to you or very close in front of you and wants to turn. Keep your eye on the car and your foot close to the brake.

These drivers that cut you off and probably the same ones that get po'ed when someone does it to them.

Use common sense AND be alert at all times.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Sage

I use this gate often driving both auto and golf cart (well, not at the same time, silly). And then I make a right turn onto Churchill Downs. I often see "near misses".

My motto is drive slow and pray.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I live in Belvedere and come in this gate several times a day both in the car and on the cart and myself do not have a problem using the cart lane on the right coming in. Z summed it up perfectly "use common sense and be alert at all times", almost every entrance/exit has it's own challenges.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Like so many other so called "traffic" issues...the simplest of solutions is "YIELD" however that is not the way when the friendly Villagers" are behind the wheel.

JUST YIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instead of there is no #^%^&(*&%$ way that is going to get in front of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two things Villagers behind the wheel do not support
1. Yield
2. SLOW DOWN!!

RETIRED. nO PLACE ANYBODY REALLY HAS TO BE BY A CERTAIN TIME.

Leave the hurry up and get outta my way back where y'all came from....smile....say good morning/afternoon/evening and YIELD!!!!!

Yeah right.

BTK

Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Gold member

Amen to Yield.
I take it slow, let the impatient people pass and continue safely and happily on my journey. What's the hurry anyway?
Of course, if you told me 2 months ago that I would be willing to drive a golf cart to a destination and the trip took 30 minutes as opposed to 10 -15 minutes by car, I would have said "no way" Guess what.... I go everywhere my cart will take me and I love every minute of the experience. : : :
Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 AM

It's rumored that this gate traffic situation is so convoluted and exciting that the Villages is planning to erect stadium seating and sell tickets for fan viewing.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam
Just use common sense ! ! !
The problem with common sense, is, that it isn't that common.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
I use this gate often driving both auto and golf cart (well, not at the same time, silly). And then I make a right turn onto Churchill Downs. I often see "near misses".

My motto is drive slow and pray.
I wish I could pull a Linda Blair like move from the Exorcist near this Belvedere gate. That's when your head rotates 360 degrees. Also a lot of praying was involved in that exorcism.

360 degrees because there are sometimes pedestrians crossing near that gate as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

You just have to keep your eyes open. I found that the gate at Bridgeport at Lake Sumter is also very dangerous when you use your golf cart. I think that is the worse gate.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagal
I found that the gate at Bridgeport at Lake Sumter is also very dangerous when you use your golf cart. I think that is the worse gate.
I agree that the gate at Bridgeport is very dangerous and must be navigated with extreme caution. :yikes: Does anyone know how a resident can register a comment or suggestion about this type of issue?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Sage

BF,

The powers that be recognize that this is a dangerous gate...that's why they put in the speed bumps. I read in the CDD meeting minutes that they've had a firm give them an estimate on redesigning the vehicle gate to provide better sight distance. It wasn't cheap...something like $30K; I don't recall if they have decided to go forward with the redesign or are still studying it.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Sage

Thanks V07. You are always such a great source of information on every single topic.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.