Discounts on New Construction?

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Default Discounts on New Construction?

Hi Everyone,
We have decided to pack up and leave upstate NY for TV. We have spent months watching the website for available new and pre-owned homes. Can anyone advise us whether or not TV will negotiate on the posted price of their new homes? Many are already listed at "discounted" prices. Before we engage a realtor and start the buying process in earnest, wanted to hear from others who may have just recently purchased a new home in TV. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

The price is the price, you can try, but I doubt that you will get any movement on new homes. For sale by owner and 'used' homes for sale are subject to price adjustments.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Sage

New home prices are non-negotiable. Resales are. Best bet is to get both a Villages agent and an outside realtor to search for your new home.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
Hi Everyone,
We have decided to pack up and leave upstate NY for TV. We have spent months watching the website for available new and pre-owned homes. Can anyone advise us whether or not TV will negotiate on the posted price of their new homes? Many are already listed at "discounted" prices. Before we engage a realtor and start the buying process in earnest, wanted to hear from others who may have just recently purchased a new home in TV. Thank you!
I know it's hard to believe because in our neck of the woods NY & NJ everything is negotiable but the new homes sold by The Villages have the price etched in stone. The homes available thru a MLS Realtor are very negotiable. Take your time look around you really can't go wrong where you buy as far a I'm concerned. We came to buy new but ended up in the Historic Section of Country Club Hills. What a shock. We are thrilled with the house, the neighbors and the life we have now. Best of Luck.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Villages sales people are not like car dealers, there is no negotiating, or counter offers, the discount on existing inventory is the best deals.

Here is an example of our situation. I came on a Lifestyle Visit (LSV) in 2011 and looked at patio villas, courtyard villas (CYV) and cottages, played 2 rounds of golf, went to the movies and to the squares. Our salesman took us through every floorplan over a 2 day period and was never any pressure to buy. After 7 days we returned home and listed our home for sale one evening. The next morning a different realtor called and said I would like to show your home at 10am. They came, they saw, they bought, first viewing bought our home.

My intention was to buy a patio villa for $140K (2011 prices) and pay the bond ($10,000) at the same time. When I called my salesman to tell him I had already sold my home and I was looking at a patio villa on their website. He said, Southern Star Villas is about a 1/2 mile down the road. They are masonry CYV's with fenced in yards. He said they only have 5 units left and they've been discounted. A 2 BR Woodlawn (now called a Durham) is discounted from $169,000 to $162,000, that's not much more than a patio villa and the bond is only $14,000. While we were discussing the pros and cons, the price changed to $157,000 right on the website. I asked him if he did that, and he said no, they must be discounting again. Needless to say, we bought the masonry CYV for that price and still live in it. Our salesman's name is Tony Trussler, many people on this site will tell you he is the best. We are still invited every year for the past 5 years to his annual thank you dinner.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Gold member

We looked at a new Putnam on Brine 2 weeks or so ago discounted price $259.....

looked again 3 days ago, now the discounted price is $249....

go figure.......its a buyers market right now..... if you find something....make an offer........ you just never know
Old 09-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Tony Trussler is the man who found the house we fell in love with two years ago. I would use him again if still looking.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
We looked at a new Putnam on Brine 2 weeks or so ago discounted price $259.....

looked again 3 days ago, now the discounted price is $249....

go figure.......its a buyers market right now..... if you find something....make an offer........ you just never know
NO. They do NOT accept offers. THERE are NO negotiations with buyers of new homes at all by The Villages, period and Amen... And they don't deal with ANY fast talkin' MLS person on new homes.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-15-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Tony Trussler is the man who found the house we fell in love with two years ago. I would use him again if still looking.
Trussler Terrace must be named after him!

Would also recommend Chris Mullen.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

Trussler Terrace is named after him. He's the best.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 PM

Thank you all very much for the speedy response and your valuable comments!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation More Important

I believe "LOCATION" is as if not more important than the price you are paying. It would be more to the buyer's advantage to study the Villages in fine detail, check with residents and determine the best location and then be patient until something becomes available. You can end up where it is 1/2 hour just to get to a store in a golf cart, or the bank, etc.etc. As the person once said, Location, Location , Location.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I believe "LOCATION" is as if not more important than the price you are paying. It would be more to the buyer's advantage to study the Villages in fine detail, check with residents and determine the best location and then be patient until something becomes available. You can end up where it is 1/2 hour just to get to a store in a golf cart, or the bank, etc.etc. As the person once said, Location, Location , Location.
BUT...a location where everyone is new to The Villages and beginning their retirement may be the most fun location of all. We experienced that in our first home in Hadley. Now we live near the center in a newer home but there are many second home dwellers here. I love brand new houses and a lot of other people do too.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages sales people are not like car dealers, there is no negotiating, or counter offers, the discount on existing inventory is the best deals.

Here is an example of our situation. I came on a Lifestyle Visit (LSV) in 2011 and looked at patio villas, courtyard villas (CYV) and cottages, played 2 rounds of golf, went to the movies and to the squares. Our salesman took us through every floorplan over a 2 day period and was never any pressure to buy. After 7 days we returned home and listed our home for sale one evening. The next morning a different realtor called and said I would like to show your home at 10am. They came, they saw, they bought, first viewing bought our home.

My intention was to buy a patio villa for $140K (2011 prices) and pay the bond ($10,000) at the same time. When I called my salesman to tell him I had already sold my home and I was looking at a patio villa on their website. He said, Southern Star Villas is about a 1/2 mile down the road. They are masonry CYV's with fenced in yards. He said they only have 5 units left and they've been discounted. A 2 BR Woodlawn (now called a Durham) is discounted from $169,000 to $162,000, that's not much more than a patio villa and the bond is only $14,000. While we were discussing the pros and cons, the price changed to $157,000 right on the website. I asked him if he did that, and he said no, they must be discounting again. Needless to say, we bought the masonry CYV for that price and still live in it. Our salesman's name is Tony Trussler, many people on this site will tell you he is the best. We are still invited every year for the past 5 years to his annual thank you dinner.

The Villages Florida
Nice place. I can see why you're happy.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 AM

For new pre-built homes, the key is to use a Village Realtor that works hard to find the right home for you.

I can't say enough good things about Kay Salerno. We were on our first visit to TV and she took us around to see all kinds of different models; each time, paying close attention to what we liked about a model and what we didn't. She was also very cognizant of our budget and didn't waste our time with homes we couldn't afford.

Once she had a good idea of our wants and needs, she went through the TV inventory with a fine-toothed comb and found us the perfect home. And along the way she set us up with a TV New Homes (not yet built) realtor and encouraged us to work with any non-TV realtor on resales, both of which would have cost her the sale.

I'm sure there are other TV realtors that are just as good about getting the client the right home, but Kay was excellent.

(And yes, Salerno Street is named after her. I think that's a TV-thing for its top producers).
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, start, buying, realtor, prices

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.