Discrimination

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 07:13 AM

Right on. Those that replied with snide remarks... eventually, unfortunately, you will wake up one day and find yourself single. And when Social Security tells you that you can only now draw one benefit, yours or your spouses which ever one is larger you will appreciate how being single is in fact an arm of discrimination because of your status. Assuming like me, my husband and I worked all our lives paying in to social security from our paychecks and so did our employers. Then he dies at 66 and half our household income disappears. Our money we paid in to the fund, gone. The Income goes away, but you still have the mortgage, rent, taxes, insurance, utilities etc associated with household expenses. Then you find yourself dipping in to your investments for the shortage. Single people do get penalized in so many ways from taxation to small things like this person has brought up. For me it is a slap in the face as I certainly never expected to be single at such a young age.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 AM

It isn’t discrimination at all . It is a common business practice called quantity discounts. The 1st pays a standard fee the 2nd gets a discount
Old 05-23-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinel@verizon.net View Post
What is priority pool membership is it just certain villages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMarwal View Post
I'd like to know what this is also. We haven't yet moved to TV but planning to do so in 2 years and this is the first time I've heard of a priority pool membership.
Golf The Villages
Old 05-23-2020, 07:16 AM

Has anyone heard of what they as going to do with Hacienda? I miss the cocktails and karaoke on Sundays.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Right on. Those that replied with snide remarks... eventually, unfortunately, you will wake up one day and find yourself single. And when Social Security tells you that you can only now draw one benefit, yours or your spouses which ever one is larger you will appreciate how being single is in fact an arm of discrimination because of your status. Assuming like me, my husband and I worked all our lives paying in to social security from our paychecks and so did our employers. Then he dies at 66 and half our household income disappears. Our money we paid in to the fund, gone. The Income goes away, but you still have the mortgage, rent, taxes, insurance, utilities etc associated with household expenses. Then you find yourself dipping in to your investments for the shortage. Single people do get penalized in so many ways from taxation to small things like this person has brought up. For me it is a slap in the face as I certainly never expected to be single at such a young age.

Sorry for your loss, but if all the items you listed were based on belly buttons, the rates would increase and overall costs would be approximately the same. As a married person, you would have been paying more over the last 40 years. It's a zero-sum situation.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyh26 View Post
Nothing to complain but after reading comments. Moving on😜
So glad you're moving on!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
sorry for your loss
Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandHSTAR@AOL.com View Post
Thank you. Pools have water in them no matter. Why a priority pool? I go to the neighborhood pool. I personally cannot buying a priority is worth it. But if that is your choice I cannot see you complaining about the price.
Why priority ?

Perhaps it gives a person a sense of entitlement and privilege......

Or perhaps they enjoy going to a pool that may be less crowded......

We’re priority golf members which automatically includes the priority pools . That gives us a sense of “entitlement and privilege“ when it comes to tee times and reduced green’s fees.

We’ve never been to a priority pool . We have a family pool and a neighborhood pool less than 5 minutes away by golf cart .....
Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
You are never going to get sympathy from a couple . They just don’t understand how often singles get screwed. This is just the cream on the pudding. From the fact that they can’t claim head of household with the IRS even though they are, to paying double for a cruise cabin , to paying double for sanitation ( even though they are putting out less trash) , to paying more for a pool membership ( I understand the $130 because when you divide the $260 by 2 , it comes out to $130 each while a single pays $200 no matter what) , to my beach pass when I lived up north ( a family of five paid the same as a single - no breaks) . Even in the stimulus package a couple got double what the single got- it didn’t go by household . Yes, singles get screwed at every turn- yet they are still paying the same mortgage , fees , taxes, sanitation , Water, amenities, Etc. as everyone else. Stop attacking her and open your eyes people. It pays to be a couple.
The complainers need to open their eyes and READ how it works. Yes, I am part of a couple, but if my wife joins the Priority Pool and I DO NOT, she pays $200. There is no option anywhere for $130 as half a couple.

Some people just like to find something to rag about.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 AM

I started a FT job at 15, paid into SS every year, at 50 my husband demands/ needs grew to the point I gave up working. We have been living on one income for the last 10 years. 2 people one income. I am 56. He is 60 with terminal cancer. We have one income. Yes I see your point and it’s not “fair” - one strong thing has Been pointed out to me: Life is not fair. I get reminded all the time. A pool membership is a luxury. There are many we have had to do without because of the unfair pricing in place but it has become common practice in today’s society to give a “discount” for a second at same address. I will soon be widowed and single. Paying the same as two for property taxes, amenity fees, garbage, etc. but we have had ONE income all this time and SS will not let me claim both SS. Also mention that SS has changed thanks to the people voting in people to make it an entitlement, instead of a benefit accrued in your lifetime. So I hope at least that illegal moving here at 65 enjoys my SS.
So yes a single person will feel the impact of “the many” decisions, as always... and it’s not fair.
I sympathize- really do and I myself say to myself “Get over it or make a change” but after my struggles of things being “not fair”, it’s futile and I just want to be happy. So I see luxuries as such and IF we can afford we do, if not. We don’t. Ebb and flow.... Seen it a lot in my lifetime.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMOH View Post
Pool memberships and amenities fees should be pro-rated for single people. I pay the same for amenities/activities as my neighbors who have two people in the household. I only use half the amenities as they do, yet we pay the same. I'm not saying it should be half, because part of the fee includes groundskeeping, etc., but there should be some discount for the amenities part for single households. I'm sure there is a breakdown of how the fee is calculated and this could be adjusted.
Here’s something that would clearly be justification for some whining .....

We have no children. We’ve payed school taxes all of our lives and have done so without a single complaint to anyone.

If you do the math , that amounts to a substantial amount of $$$.

And here on this post we have a whiner that complains about having to pay a relatively small amount for the privilege to use a priority pool .......

I just don’t get it ...... and from reading the other comments, the majority don’t agree that the whining is justified .....
Old 05-23-2020, 09:18 AM

Why don't priority pools allow noodles?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:21 AM

Keep this up and it will go to $200 and $400. Property taxes are the same because they are property taxes, not occupancy taxes.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:22 AM

I really appreciate all of you anal retentive people that complain about everything. I think it's an "old people" syndrome, but it certainly is entertaining, thanks for the morning humor!
Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
Why don't priority pools allow noodles?
Maybe you could call someone...…….

Tags
membership, discrimination, live, singles, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.