Disposable Seniors

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
He’s right , I’ll take my chances . We have gone to war to save our country. There will be way less deaths than that .Let’s save our country for our kids and grandkids and end this quarantine.
The majority of deaths are males over age 80. But according to the Journal of the American Medical Association, "The median age of patients is between 49 and 56 years."

That would indicate that it's mostly parents, not so much grandparents, who should be making those sacrifices, so as not to spread their sickness to anyone else.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:30 PM
Default False choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
He’s right , I’ll take my chances . We have gone to war to save our country. There will be way less deaths than that .Let’s save our country for our kids and grandkids and end this quarantine.
The idea that exposing enormous numbers of Americans to a highly contagious disease will somehow help the economy is a false choice. People will get sick in huge numbers with many dying if you are willing to believe the health care professionals. Is that the moral approach which will help our economy. People staying home from work, our health care system overwhelmed.
If you don’t believe the consensus of the health care community, than I suppose I can see why you can accept this.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV

To the best of my knowledge, leaving one's home will NOT be mandatory. We (you) are free to stay home and, should we venture out, to follow the safety guidelines that have been suggested by the CDC and others. Let freedom ring!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Tell me when a Lt. Governor of Florida has something important to say, in the meantime I don't care about Texas.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

The Bible will shortly be ammended.

The 4th Commandment will in future read.

"Honor thy father and mother, except when the Stock Market crasheth, then they shall be smote down by the wrath of Wall Street"
Old 03-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The Bible will shortly be ammended.

The 4th Commandment will in future read.

"Honor thy father and mother, except when the Stock Market crasheth, then they shall be smote down by the wrath of Wall Street"
Exactly!

Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
He's not talking about sacrificing lives. He's talking about having a quite necessary balance between inherent risks and national economic health and well being. How that's lost on people is quite curious.

What are people going to say when the "curve" has been flattened and state governors want to reopen their states? A flattened curve doesn't mean there aren't new cases of infection. The risks of infection will still be out there. Flattening the curve simply means trying to get to a point where the healthcare systems can cater to the numbers of sick while not being overwhelmed by sharp spikes. Should we shut down everything until there are NO new cases of infection? Or, are you willing to assume some risks?

We've already gotten an indication of how people will react - and that's even when there weren't natural supply shortages. Hoarding and panic prevailed. Imagine "life" in a scenario where the national economy has been decimated. Good luck with law and order. Good luck with liberties. Good luck with supply chains. Good luck with food and medical needs. Good luck with everyday safety.

Living life entails everyday risks. While it's laudable that we collectively want to protect everyone (and honestly, that means ourselves), we can never remove all risk while not also suffering other serious consequences. Finding the balance isn't easy, but it's an imperative.
No, he said Sacrifice himself for society. Doesn’t “Sacrifice “ mean give himself up. I never said sacrifice myself, he said give himself up , I didn’t say what you said I did. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but don’t change my words around!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Texas Lt. Gov. suggests the elderly should risk their lives to save the economy.

I hope this episode of the old program The Dinosaurs find its way to him. What's next - end of life bill ?

Enjoy - resolution gets slightly better a few minutes in.

Dinosaurs Season 1 Episode 3 - YouTube
How do you think seniors will be affected by losing 80% of their life savings and seeing pensions and Social Security checks stop? Obviously NYC, SF and Washington state need to stay shut, but it doesn’t make sense to shut a manufacturing plant in Nebraska where workers are already six feet apart.

There’s a lot of room between all and nothing.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Glad to hear that the Texas Lt gov is happy to sacrifice himself for the economy, but I still think that the measure of a civilization is how they treat their vulnerable.
Here here-- I agree. That's why we have welfare/food stamps/child protection etc., to protect a children, the sick, aged and members of society that do not contribute to bottom line
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON10E View Post
...There’s a lot of room between all and nothing.
I think this nails it and is quite profound.

Too many people veer to opposite sides of the boat and that increases the risk of capsizing.
Closed Thread

Tags
minutes, disposable, end, life, bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.