Disposable Seniors

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
I take the Lt. Governor's larger point - if we destroy the American economy in the name of trying to protect everyone from this virus over an unlimited time frame, it will be the epitome of a Pyrrhic victory. He's right about that, and clear-thinking individuals know he's right about that.

Now, people can poke fun or cast aspersions toward him for some false notion that he's saying "kill off the old people!", but we cannot have an economy collapse in this nation over this. If this isolation phase goes on for months, it's going to be disastrous for the country.

I'd love to hear the pollyannish commentary about what that would actually look like and be like post-virus, were this current scenario to go on for months. I'd love to hear how that sets up younger generations to thrive.

But go ahead, make the jokes. Just wondering, though...who do you think desperate young folks are going to come to when they don't have a job or a realistic chance at wealth building? I'm going to venture a guess that they will come to those they see who have things they don't. Mirror, anyone?
Many Americans follow the Christian Faith. The Lt Gov’s statement is 100% against what they believe. I wonder what faith if any the Gov follows?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
First of all, as a senior myself, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this approach.

On the other hand, I think I read where Italy is already doing this.

On the battlefield, we'd call this triage.
News 87 present in Italy are seniors
Old 03-25-2020, 07:05 AM

If the situation presents that a 90 year old or thirty 20 year olds were to get medical treatment what do you think the choice should be? Everything is about choices, believe it or not there is limited funds and therefore limited treatment. Choices are already being made, we just don’t choose to discuss or understand it.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM

OP - Thanks for sharing this episode.
When I saw The Lt. Governors strange comment on the news, the first thing I thought of was this episode of Dinosaurs. LOL
Old 03-25-2020, 07:41 AM

First the LT Governor is 70 years old and is a “senior”. Second he said no such thing. He said that people that are healthy and able will need to start going back to work otherwise our economy will crumble. Stop spreading misinformation and hate you are party of the problem.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
I take the Lt. Governor's larger point - if we destroy the American economy in the name of trying to protect everyone from this virus over an unlimited time frame, it will be the epitome of a Pyrrhic victory. He's right about that, and clear-thinking individuals know he's right about that.

Now, people can poke fun or cast aspersions toward him for some false notion that he's saying "kill off the old people!", but we cannot have an economy collapse in this nation over this. If this isolation phase goes on for months, it's going to be disastrous for the country.

I'd love to hear the pollyannish commentary about what that would actually look like and be like post-virus, were this current scenario to go on for months. I'd love to hear how that sets up younger generations to thrive.

But go ahead, make the jokes. Just wondering, though...who do you think desperate young folks are going to come to when they don't have a job or a realistic chance at wealth building? I'm going to venture a guess that they will come to those they see who have things they don't. Mirror, anyone?

Thank you for an intelligent and insightful post on this...amazing how many folks are taking a knee-jerk myopic view of what the Lt Governor is actually saying

anybody can lead when everything is going swell...it takes courage to lead when things are in chaos or in a crisis
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

If I opt as a senior with the coronavirus severe enough to require hospitalization to sacrifice my life for the economy will I be able to also request Doctor Assisted Suicide ? Do I really have to lay in some makeshift hospital bed in who knows what sports arena with no privacy, no family, possibly in pain (how do I know if there will be enough pain meds and people to administer them) or can I go on my own terms with dignity and a celebration of my sacrifice of life for the greater good while conscious. I opt for hurling.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 AM

he should be the first to volunteer
Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Glad to hear that the Texas Lt gov is happy to sacrifice himself for the economy, but I still think that the measure of a civilization is how they treat their vulnerable.
Velvet, I hope he's ready to sacrifice himself too, because this is where we live, Northlake, TX. that's in the Denton, TX. area, also Denton Co. I hope since he wants to start sacrificing older people I hope he starts with himself to show us his dedication for life. Thanks for backing up us senior citizens! Hell, I'm only 70 & I still feel like I'm in my 40's. Yea, I'm a former Village resident of 8 yrs.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Many Americans follow the Christian Faith. The Lt Gov’s statement is 100% against what they believe. I wonder what faith if any the Gov follows?
I don't know what that means. He's saying that he's willing to "live smart" but also take the risk of his health being endangered if it means saving the country in the process. What are the faiths of people who are called to fight - and possibly die - in wars between nations?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Texas Lt. Gov. suggests the elderly should risk their lives to save the economy.

I hope this episode of the old program The Dinosaurs find its way to him. What's next - end of life bill ?

Enjoy - resolution gets slightly better a few minutes in.

Dinosaurs Season 1 Episode 3 - YouTube
I don't believe Patrick said anything so cavalier, so I looked it up, and you can see it too at the following link:

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick: A Lot Of Grandparents Would Be Willing To Die To Stop A Second Great Depression | Video | RealClearPolitics
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Velvet, I hope he's ready to sacrifice himself too, because this is where we live, Northlake, TX. that's in the Denton, TX. area, also Denton Co. I hope since he wants to start sacrificing older people I hope he starts with himself to show us his dedication for life. Thanks for backing up us senior citizens! Hell, I'm only 70 & I still feel like I'm in my 40's. Yea, I'm a former Village resident of 8 yrs.
He's not talking about sacrificing lives. He's talking about having a quite necessary balance between inherent risks and national economic health and well being. How that's lost on people is quite curious.

What are people going to say when the "curve" has been flattened and state governors want to reopen their states? A flattened curve doesn't mean there aren't new cases of infection. The risks of infection will still be out there. Flattening the curve simply means trying to get to a point where the healthcare systems can cater to the numbers of sick while not being overwhelmed by sharp spikes. Should we shut down everything until there are NO new cases of infection? Or, are you willing to assume some risks?

We've already gotten an indication of how people will react - and that's even when there weren't natural supply shortages. Hoarding and panic prevailed. Imagine "life" in a scenario where the national economy has been decimated. Good luck with law and order. Good luck with liberties. Good luck with supply chains. Good luck with food and medical needs. Good luck with everyday safety.

Living life entails everyday risks. While it's laudable that we collectively want to protect everyone (and honestly, that means ourselves), we can never remove all risk while not also suffering other serious consequences. Finding the balance isn't easy, but it's an imperative.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I seen it today on yahoo news. It has been all over the national news tonight.
YAHOO is hardly a reliable source-they are the mainstream, which means they do no actual investigative reporting, just regurgitate already posted news.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM
Default Wrong. Do some research before making untrue statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
YAHOO is hardly a reliable source-they are the mainstream, which means they do no actual investigative reporting, just regurgitate already posted news.
Wrong. Do some research before making untrue statements.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
He's not talking about sacrificing lives. He's talking about having a quite necessary balance between inherent risks and national economic health and well being. How that's lost on people is quite curious.

What are people going to say when the "curve" has been flattened and state governors want to reopen their states? A flattened curve doesn't mean there aren't new cases of infection. The risks of infection will still be out there. Flattening the curve simply means trying to get to a point where the healthcare systems can cater to the numbers of sick while not being overwhelmed by sharp spikes. Should we shut down everything until there are NO new cases of infection? Or, are you willing to assume some risks?

We've already gotten an indication of how people will react - and that's even when there weren't natural supply shortages. Hoarding and panic prevailed. Imagine "life" in a scenario where the national economy has been decimated. Good luck with law and order. Good luck with liberties. Good luck with supply chains. Good luck with food and medical needs. Good luck with everyday safety.

Living life entails everyday risks. While it's laudable that we collectively want to protect everyone (and honestly, that means ourselves), we can never remove all risk while not also suffering other serious consequences. Finding the balance isn't easy, but it's an imperative.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Closed Thread

Tags
minutes, disposable, end, life, bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.