Disposable Seniors

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
First of all, as a senior myself, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this approach.

On the other hand, I think I read where Italy is already doing this.

On the battlefield, we'd call this triage.
No, they're not doing this. The situation in Italy is that IF they have to ration medical supplies and tests and treatment, IF someone needs to not receive necessary help, THEN they need to decide who does, and who doesn't, get the help they need.

The issue then, is who ends up short-shrifted? How do you decide? The logical, practical answer is - people who are most likely to survive - should be the ones who get the priority help. Those who are least likely to survive, should be the ones left out.

This is unfathomable to most people - but when you're in a situation where someone has to die - and you are the one responsible for making the decision - you have to decide what will be the best for humanity.

Thankfully they are NOT in that situation as of yet. They, so far, do NOT have to make those decisions. Let's hope that remains true.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
YAHOO is hardly a reliable source-they are the mainstream, which means they do no actual investigative reporting, just regurgitate already posted news.
Yes I think they were regurgitating FOX News.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Watch the movie, “Logan’s Run” and maybe the govt will have a chamber like that to send older folks to “renew”.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Yes I think they were regurgitating FOX News.
That is so, so shopworn by now.

People who watch CNN would feel better instantly by changing to NPR or CSPAN.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No, they're not doing this. The situation in Italy is that IF they have to ration medical supplies and tests and treatment, IF someone needs to not receive necessary help, THEN they need to decide who does, and who doesn't, get the help they need.

The issue then, is who ends up short-shrifted? How do you decide? The logical, practical answer is - people who are most likely to survive - should be the ones who get the priority help. Those who are least likely to survive, should be the ones left out.

This is unfathomable to most people - but when you're in a situation where someone has to die - and you are the one responsible for making the decision - you have to decide what will be the best for humanity.

Thankfully they are NOT in that situation as of yet. They, so far, do NOT have to make those decisions. Let's hope that remains true.
Yes, I agree with those points. Essentially, you're talking about battlefield triage. It's the only realistic option unfortunately if things get to that point. We all kind of know that too deep down ...
Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 PM

Totally Eloquent!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

You took it out of Content.......he was saying the grandparents would rather take a chance on their health then Destroying their grandchildren’s economic future. He stated would me be better opening the US sooner (in weeks) then later (in months). I agree with him. The elderly can stay home and let the young’s get back to work sooner.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz@comcast.net View Post
You took it out of Content.......he was saying the grandparents would rather take a chance on their health then Destroying their grandchildren’s economic future. He stated would me be better opening the US sooner (in weeks) then later (in months). I agree with him. The elderly can stay home and let the young’s get back to work sooner.
And maybe die sooner.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
That is so, so shopworn by now.

People who watch CNN would feel better instantly by changing to NPR or CSPAN.
I was answering a slam on me with a little irony. I did get the story headline from Yahoo news which was publicizing a FOX new story. If your shopworn comment was directed at me you got it wrong - I watch both FOX and CNN and only believe about 10% of either or.

Texas Lt. Governor suggests the elderly should risk their lives to save the economy [Video]
Old 03-25-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

I’d like to hear from the grandchildren who would like to see their grandparents take life risking actions on their behalf?
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage

I'm sorry I started this thread. Did any of you actually watch the episode of the Dinosaurs that I attached to the OP. Extremely funny but thought provoking. I was hoping to share a chuckle at these stressful times. If you notice I did not use the Lt Gov name in the original post and did not post it until someone confused it with the Teas Gov. I simply used the headline of the news story as a lead in for the Dinosaurs Hurling Episode.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I'm sorry I started this thread. Did any of you actually watch the episode of the Dinosaurs that I attached to the OP. Extremely funny but thought provoking. I was hoping to share a chuckle at these stressful times. If you notice I did not use the Lt Gov name in the original post and did not post it until someone confused it with the Teas Gov. I simply used the headline of the news story as a lead in for the Dinosaurs Hurling Episode.
K, I confess I didn’t watch the video before and totally missed the context. The video is funny.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:48 PM

He’s right , I’ll take my chances . We have gone to war to save our country. There will be way less deaths than that .Let’s save our country for our kids and grandkids and end this quarantine.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
He’s right , I’ll take my chances . We have gone to war to save our country. There will be way less deaths than that .Let’s save our country for our kids and grandkids and end this quarantine.
Tell you what, you go first, we'll follow on later. Bye! Bye!
Old 03-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
Are you forming a line?

Tags
minutes, disposable, end, life, bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.