Are We Losing That Sense of Community?

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Default Are We Losing That Sense of Community?

I've lived here full time for 6 years and the transition from Friendly Retirement Community to Urban Competitive Environment has been profound. More people competing for resources and a gradual passing of the generation that was raised with 'manners' to the influx the 'me first' people who seem to take satisfaction in discourtesy and rudeness. Still, I also see daily exhibitions of kindness and gentility and a lot of people trying to enjoy their retirement as they can.

It seems to take a village to do a lot of things these days but I wonder about the state of our "larger" village. Growing is good in many ways but that sense of Community and comradeship with our fellow residents seems to be slipping away. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I've lived here full time for 6 years and the transition from Friendly Retirement Community to Urban Competitive Environment has been profound. More people competing for resources and a gradual passing of the generation that was raised with 'manners' to the influx the 'me first' people who seem to take satisfaction in discourtesy and rudeness. Still, I also see daily exhibitions of kindness and gentility and a lot of people trying to enjoy their retirement as they can.

It seems to take a village to do a lot of things these days but I wonder about the state of our "larger" village. Growing is good in many ways but that sense of Community and comradeship with our fellow residents seems to be slipping away. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
We are just into our third year living in TV full-time. Our experiences have been nothing but very positive. I can't relate at all to the "Urban Competitive Environment" you speak of. People we encounter here are usually upbeat, happy and excited about life in TV. Sure we all have a down day once in a while but it sure beats just sitting around. Like you said, we also see daily exhibitions of kindness and gentility and people enjoying their retirement.

I take that back, I was given a hard time by some water volleyball players one time because my newness to the game wasn't up to their standards. But I quickly got over it driving home in my new golf cart, looking at the landscaping.

Respectfully, you don't need to worry, I think you are wrong about TV losing it's sense of community.

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Gold member

It's not the same world that we grew up in. Some day we will be outnumbered by the "me first" people. I don't think the problem is exclusive to The Villages. However, smaller retirement communities, with less notoriety, may be less effected.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Eternal Member

I disagree. Perhaps it where you come from as to how you perceive a friendly town should be.

To me, The Villages is extremely friendly and caring to each other including newcomers and strangers.

I moved here from the Washington DC area and you would not talk to strangers there or ask if they needed assistance.

We had a neighbor up there who was held up at gunpoint and pistol whipped when he did not have enough money to satisfy his attackers. In the six years I have been here, there has not been one instance of that kind of violence that I know about.

The "me" attitude happens at times but there are far, far more acts of kindness that outweigh the attitude of "me".
Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:

We have lived here for 20+ years, so have seen huge changes. The Villages has gone from small town charm where everyone knows your name to the unfriendly and rushed state of a larger city. The Villages is no longer the community were were elated to call home.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Sage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
We are just into our third year living in TV full-time. Our experiences have been nothing but very positive. I can't relate at all to the "Urban Competitive Environment" you speak of. People we encounter here are usually upbeat, happy and excited about life in TV. Sure we all have a down day once in a while but it sure beats just sitting around. Like you said, we also see daily exhibitions of kindness and gentility and people enjoying their retirement.
I take that back, I was given a hard time by some water volleyball players one time because my newness to the game wasn't up to their standards. But I quickly got over it driving home in my new golf cart, looking at the landscaping.
Respectfully, you don't need to worry, I think you are wrong about TV losing it's sense of community.
Even in the relatively short eight years we've lived seasonally in TV, we notice big changes, some good, some bad.
We are a huge city now.
New restaurants and new churches spring up.
Old favorites close down.
Some of the Villages have strong social organizations. Not all.
I think a city of 112,000 can't possibly have a sense of community, and be as friendly and small town as a city half that size.
However each individual Village is self sufficient and has a sense of community, but not the larger "The Villages".
Most people you meet at activities, at the pool or at the Dog Park will be extremely friendly.
All in all, it's a pretty great little Town, with something for everyone!

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-08-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

I happen to feel the same way you do. I was fortunate to have moved into a neighborhood with some very active and wonderful people who after 9 years still continue to be good neighbors.

However despite what the marketing people say the once upon time charm of The Villages Lifestyle has been compromised because of their quest for bigger. It has also been compromised because the vision of a 55+ retirement community has now become a vacation destination for many.
Far too many homes rented out and purchased for the sle purpose of renting Can one find community with people who come and go?

Yes you will find people who are accommodating, friendly etc but the pressure on amenities, restaurants stores, and the heavy traffic on roads and multi-modal paths places stresses on people who retired here to end that type of pressure

In the Daily Sunday the announced the markings of multi-modal paths for center lines and side markings. By its nature it will provide some benefit but it is going to stop cowboys, entitlement types or those who otherwise exercise poor judgment. In my view the same people who believe that rules trafic signs etc were made to be broken will continue.

In prime season I see people who actions say we paid for all of this i have only a short time to use it so get out of my way. and so you are push back or get pushed . Bigger is better if you are profiting from it but if not if you have to live it
Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

I agree with you. We have been here nine years and the changes over nine years are many and very apparent. We are too big, just too big. The two main roads through TV, i.e. Morse and B.Vista were not built to accommodate this much traffic, our own and the people using them to cut through. It is difficult to impossible to use many of the "free" recreational activities offered due to the number of people residing here both during the summer and especially in the winter season. Even the Lifestyle Learning Center now has a wait list for several of their most popular classes.

I have good memories of the great times we had at Spanish Springs for the lighting of the Christmas Tree, and New Year's Eve in the Square was just wonderful. We had so much fun.

We are fortunate that our Village still remains pretty much the same, nice people, good decent people who are always there for you should you need them, and (thankfully) attrition has not reduced our original numbers too much!

However, having said all that - where else can one go to live this lifestyle?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Now enjoy the day.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Bigger is not always better...here in the lake country of Minnesota, we live on property that used to be one lake home (ours) that now has 13 homes on it...mostly city slickers wanting to make the lake like the city..some that reek of arrogance....the world is getting crowded..
Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Sage

Nevermind.

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-08-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Gold member

" It is difficult to impossible to use many of the "free" recreational activities offered due to the number of people residing here both during the summer and especially in the winter season. Even the Lifestyle Learning Center now has a wait list for several of their most popular classes. "

My thoughts exactly.....

Sometimes things can get too big........
Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

An attitude one can see many times with the development and growth of "good things":
"I'm here, so now lock all the entrance doors and gates!"
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I happen to feel the same way you do. I was fortunate to have moved into a neighborhood with some very active and wonderful people who after 9 years still continue to be good neighbors.

However despite what the marketing people say the once upon time charm of The Villages Lifestyle has been compromised because of their quest for bigger. It has also been compromised because the vision of a 55+ retirement community has now become a vacation destination for many.
Far too many homes rented out and purchased for the sle purpose of renting Can one find community with people who come and go?

Yes you will find people who are accommodating, friendly etc but the pressure on amenities, restaurants stores, and the heavy traffic on roads and multi-modal paths places stresses on people who retired here to end that type of pressure

In the Daily Sunday the announced the markings of multi-modal paths for center lines and side markings. By its nature it will provide some benefit but it is going to stop cowboys, entitlement types or those who otherwise exercise poor judgment. In my view the same people who believe that rules trafic signs etc were made to be broken will continue.

In prime season I see people who actions say we paid for all of this i have only a short time to use it so get out of my way. and so you are push back or get pushed . Bigger is better if you are profiting from it but if not if you have to live it
Bingo! If this place banned short term rentals, I think that would solve a lot of this. Many condo and subdivision developments have this restriction; rentals no less than 6 months. But it is probably too late for that. I know of one person who owns 7 places in TV. Six are short term rentals.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've seen a loss of community on a smaller scale in the past year when it comes to neighborhood softball. Due to a realignment of the leagues, I no longer play for the village I live in. I had played 9 seasons in a row for Tamarind Grove, the village I live in, but the last three seasons I have played for The Village of Amelia.

Does it make a difference to me, at first it did, but now not really. I enjoy just playing and wearing a uniform of sorts, having umpires and having a schedule, is what really matters. Playing for a different village I've gotten to know some really nice people that I otherwise would not have known.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, community, lot, village, retirement, sense, things, losing, days, lived, gentility, enjoy, state, slipping, residents, wrong, fellow, comradeship, growing, larger, good, ways, kindness, daily, competing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.