Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Sage

Sold or taken off the market?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is back in "the woods" between the houses and a desolate area of Lake Miona and if someone used handsaws , it could have been undetected, but not by the immediate neighbors. Those homes adjacent would be where somebody would notice something.... Someone knows.

Read the article and go to Sumterpa.com and type in Lake Miona (not drive), just Lake Miona, and see where this is. You will see the trees and see how out of sight this area would be to many.
Have you given thought to how long it would have taken to saw the trees using a handsaw ??
Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Sold or taken off the market?
Don't know, it just disappeared. It doesn't say it is pending. There was an open house there as recently as last Friday. Will just have to wait and see if the house changes hands or reappears with another real estate company.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Have you given thought to how long it would have taken to saw the trees using a handsaw ??

You are right. I can't understand how all this tree cutting happened without a lot of people being aware of it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
At the PWAC meeting this morning, it was announced by Sam Wartinbee that the price for replacing these trees has risen to $45,000 to $50,000. This according to a new article in the on-line news.

It was also announced that no arrests have been made in this case, although the investigation continues.

Also, according to TV web site, a house that was for sale for $1,100,000 that benefits from the improved view, is no longer on the market. The plot thickens.
Yes it does. And now CDD's 5 through 10 are sharing the cost of nearly $50,000. Maybe I am being naive, but I still think the culprits will be caught. Eventually.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I wonder what you get for 50,000 dollars. Just think what the cost was for the trees at Brownwood.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I have in my younger days cut large diameter trees with a hand saw and believe you mean your hands will cramp up for a few days.

I do not believe the culprits will be caught.

I do believe that the simplest answer is the correct answer and one should look to whom gains advantage of a better view.

I wish the District had not paid for this crime because once paid all interest by district and police will disappear because our money solved their problem

I do wish the district reviewed the legal possibility of charging the costs to the residents of this village because I assure you suddenly one neighbor would have a miraculous recollection of suspicious events

In short the district did not serve us best in the use of our amenities .
Old 03-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Having grown up in the days prior to power saws and having used both two man and one man (boy) bucksaws I can say this would have taken a long time if done by hand saws.

It seems the object was simply to cut down the trees and provide a clear sight line. Without the necessity of removing the cuttings it could have been accomplished by a couple of people with a chain saw in a very short time. No trucks, no trailers, no other equipment needed. I believe the area could have been accessed by boat as previously mentioned.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Default Tree Cutting

Being from the North(north of 466 that is) I don't have a "dog in the fight"but I hope those of you that do keep this alive by complaining to anyone that will listen.Some entitled AH committed a crime and should pay the price.There is no reason that an entire community should be penalized for the actions of a criminal.That word(criminal)may offend some but lets call it what it is.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I have in my younger days cut large diameter trees with a hand saw and believe you mean your hands will cramp up for a few days.

I do not believe the culprits will be caught.

I do believe that the simplest answer is the correct answer and one should look to whom gains advantage of a better view.

I wish the District had not paid for this crime because once paid all interest by district and police will disappear because our money solved their problem

I do wish the district reviewed the legal possibility of charging the costs to the residents of this village because I assure you suddenly one neighbor would have a miraculous recollection of suspicious events

In short the district did not serve us best in the use of our amenities .
It’s been 6 full weeks since this egregious act was first posted and it is just as disgraceful today as it was then. The most obvious motive has always been that one homeowner or a few homeowners desired a better water view at the expense of those beautiful old trees.

While the felled trees are truly awful, it is equally wrong to punish so many homeowners who will now foot the bill. I agree that if the $50,000 fee was charged only to the homeowners in this particular neighborhood someone’s memory would be jogged. After all, money is a powerful motive – it makes idiots cut down trees (so they can sell their house for more $$$) but it also makes a lost memory become an “Ah ha…now I remember” moment.

The reward has unfortunately not yet encouraged anyone to step forward but a hefty bill shared by a small neighborhood will produce reliable leads. It’s time for those who know something to step forward and do the right thing.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbinnj View Post
It’s been 6 full weeks since this egregious act was first posted and it is just as disgraceful today as it was then. The most obvious motive has always been that one homeowner or a few homeowners desired a better water view at the expense of those beautiful old trees.

While the felled trees are truly awful, it is equally wrong to punish so many homeowners who will now foot the bill. I agree that if the $50,000 fee was charged only to the homeowners in this particular neighborhood someone’s memory would be jogged. After all, money is a powerful motive – it makes idiots cut down trees (so they can sell their house for more $$$) but it also makes a lost memory become an “Ah ha…now I remember” moment.
I agree completely with what you say.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are right. I can't understand how all this tree cutting happened without a lot of people being aware of it.

I would think that anyone seasoned in using saws would be able to tell if a tree was cut with a hand saw or a chain saw.
This is all very strange because a chain saw makes tons of noise.

It's a puzzlement!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargee View Post
Being from the North(north of 466 that is) I don't have a "dog in the fight"but I hope those of you that do keep this alive by complaining to anyone that will listen.Some entitled AH committed a crime and should pay the price.There is no reason that an entire community should be penalized for the actions of a criminal.That word(criminal)may offend some but lets call it what it is.
Pardon me, Bargee, but you do have a dog in the fight if you live here.

And pardon my ignorance, but isn't there such a thing called "insurance"
in some of these things such as vandalism, that we residents are charged for???
Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

The cost of repairing the damage done to this area of Lake Miona is only the start .............. I cannot be the only person who saw that in future SWFMD are going to be monitoring the area at a cost of between $3 - $5,000 per three months .................. and who do you think is going to foot that continual bill?

It would seem to me that the residents impacted should be contacting their representatives and making an awful lot of noise! You need a good community organizer to get behind this and get to the bottom of it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran member

I just don't understand why I must pay for this. CDD 5-10 to pay? Why? What about CDD 1-4? Why don't they have to share in the cost? It should only be the CDD that Lake Miona is in. I'm not the most politically active or knowledgeable person. Please make me understand how this can be fair.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.