District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2015, 05:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
If you lived in your "traditional" town or city, isn't this called property taxes? What's the difference?
No, it isn't the same thing. How does this benefit non-golfers?

All residents shouldn't be paying for widening a cart path unless that was understood when you purchased there.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Yes, i realize that amenity fees and property taxes are seperate things. My point is regardless of where you live, be it in The Villages or hooterville, USA, the residents of the area are going to be paying for repairs and maintenance of common areas and rightaways. Posters are saying the county should be paying for the repairs to the bridge stucture. Where does one think the county gets its funds? I see this as a distinction without a difference. The residence are going to pay.
Tell me how it makes sense for only certain residents to be paying for erosion repair that is a county street on a lake that is privately owned???

Tell me how it makes sense for only certain residents to be paying for trees that were illegally cut down.

Morse Blvd. is a public roadway. It is NOT a common area. Either the county or the developer should be paying for the erosion repair -- NOT the residents!

By the way -- the county gets their taxes from everyone in the county, not just The Villages. Yes, there is a difference!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Tell me how it makes sense for only certain residents to be paying for erosion repair that is a county street on a lake that is privately owned???

Tell me how it makes sense for only certain residents to be paying for trees that were illegally cut down.

Morse Blvd. is a public roadway. It is NOT a common area. Either the county or the developer should be paying for the erosion repair -- NOT the residents!

By the way -- the county gets their taxes from everyone in the county, not just The Villages. Yes, there is a difference!
agreeance with every point!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

By the way --
Yes, there is a difference!
Who makes up the majority of Sumter County? The Villages... Maybe we should make this a toll bridge since vehicles from Orlando, Ocala, Daytona, Lake City, Tampa or Silver Lake all use this bridge when visiting The Villages. This would relieve the "certain residents" for having to pay for others.

The trees, which this topic is suppost to be about, I am in agreement. If the ones responsible for cutting down the trees can be found, (not only the one who cut down the tree, but the people who requested the trees be cut down) should be responsible for the cost of restoring the land. But in the meantime, the state is requiring the land be restored and that aint free... The money comes from somewhere and that would be the resident taxpayers south of 466. You don't have to like it, but get over it...that is just the way it is.

Last edited by Mleeja; 04-12-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Because essentially the areas north and south of 466 are governed differently because of the danged ********

I think if you went to the meeting which explains a CDD form of government that it would be clearer.
The VCCCD (North) and the SLCCD (South) were created by that "danged" developer, not by any lawsuit. I think if you went to the meeting which explains the Villages "CCD" form of government that it would be clearer.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Returning to discussion of trees removed.

Someone or someones either removed a number of protected live oaks themselves or hired someone to remove them from property that was not owned by them, but rather owned by the district.

The St John's River Authority leveled a fine for the illegal removal of the large live oak trees against the district.

Although some evidence strongly supports who might have gained from the tree removal no one can PROVE who directed and paid for the activity.

The district must pay for the damage.

If a park in Cincinnati was vandalized and swings broken and removed, then the cost of repair would go to Santa Claus?

I think not.

Same deal everywhere. No conspiracy that I can smell against the developer who I think is JUST WONDERFUL.

People need to stop making things up and placing blame where it doesn't belong. I think everyone who has read about this mess has a pretty good idea of who might have done it. Or at least narrowed the who down to four.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Returning to discussion of trees removed.

Someone or someones either removed a number of protected live oaks themselves or hired someone to remove them from property that was not owned by them, but rather owned by the district.

The St John's River Authority leveled a fine for the illegal removal of the large live oak trees against the district.

Although some evidence strongly supports who might have gained from the tree removal no one can PROVE who directed and paid for the activity.

The district must pay for the damage.

If a park in Cincinnati was vandalized and swings broken and removed, then the cost of repair would go to Santa Claus?

I think not.

Same deal everywhere. No conspiracy that I can smell against the developer who I think is JUST WONDERFUL.

People need to stop making things up and placing blame where it doesn't belong. I think everyone who has read about this mess has a pretty good idea of who might have done it. Or at least narrowed the who down to four.
Do you think whomever did this is enjoying the view? I think not. As they say Karma is a @*#%. I would be holding my breath every day wondering when the truth would come out but then again there are those with no conscience.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

Could be the one responsible for cutting down the trees do not visit this site and ARE enjoying the view unaware of the furor they have caused....
Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Is there a scenario where those who are enjoying the view were not the perpetrators?
Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Is there a scenario where those who are enjoying the view were not the perpetrators?
IMO ...... So extremely unlikely that it does not warrant consideration.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
But in the meantime, the state is requiring the land be restored and that aint free... The money comes from somewhere and that would be the resident taxpayers south of 466. You don't have to like it, but get over it...that is just the way it is.
I assume you live north of CR 466.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-12-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I assume you live north of CR 466.
I guess this makes my opinion less? I can live in timbucto, but that is not going to change the outcome. Unless the parties responsible can be found guilty in court, the district will be footing the bill. Yell at me all you want...
Old 04-12-2015, 09:28 PM

A peron who I consider to be reliable told me on Saturday that apparently someone from Lake Miona Village had applied for a permit to cut the trees down, and was denied. Hmmmmm......I DO NOT know if this is true or not, but if it is, someone certainly should be able to put one and one together, right?????
Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
The trees, which this The money comes from somewhere and that would be the resident taxpayers south of 466. You don't have to like it, but get over it...that is just the way it is.

Quote:
I guess this makes my opinion less? I can live in timbucto, but that is not going to change the outcome. Unless the parties responsible can be found guilty in court, the district will be footing the bill. Yell at me all you want...
Of course it doesn't make your opinion less, and no-one is yelling at you.
I merely thought you might feel differently if you lived south of CR 466.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:

This and the previous comments are pretty heartless-I happen to live in the areas who have to pay, but even if the situation was reversed, I would never tell anyone to just get over it. I hope I would be a lot more compassionate for my fellow Villagers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.