District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Someone on that street has knowledge of this act. While the whole village is not in it I find it unbelievable that that many people saw nothing. I thought the oaks must have been relatively small but after taking a ride thru there the other day I saw these trees were huge. If this was a ghetto thing folks would be all over the "don't snitch" ethos but because it's concerning the wealthiest of TV they get a pass.
You are displaying a lack of knowledge about the residents in other villages that could buy and sell many there.

In addition it is very predjuicial.

And finally because I missed it the first time around......BS!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There is something that those of us who care can do. Contact youur CDD commissioners and urge them to kepp the case alive . Up the reward to at least $10,000. We have been "robbed" of $100,00 or more by an arrogant resident. If this were another type of robbery from a public entity , it would rise to the level of a serious felony and public officials and police would be pressing hard to apprehend the theif.

Has someone been threatened or coerced to maintain silence? IMO there is some really bad stuff happening here.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
There is something that those of us who care can do. Contact youur CDD commissioners and urge them to kepp the case alive . Up the reward to at least $10,000. We have been "robbed" of $100,00 or more by an arrogant resident. If this were another type of robbery from a public entity , it would rise to the level of a serious felony and public officials and police would be pressing hard to apprehend the theif.

Has someone been threatened or coerced to maintain silence? IMO there is some really bad stuff happening here.
challenger well stated. It took awhile for this thread to load and for good cause. The suggestion to inundate the district with requests for results on this issue is sound and I would begin with "No justice, no peace

I wonder if when those trees dropped they made noise? I wonder if the saws used had silencers? I wonder if the people cutting down these trees had the ability the same as stealth fighter planes? I wonder if the transaction conducted to remove the trees was all verbal or written in invisible ink? I wonder if when becoming aware of the new vista those advantaged by it said quite fortuitous? I wonder if when the district reported it to the sheriff the sheriff said well do you want us to patrol Morse Blvd for speeders or catch crooks? And the District said sheriff, "you know our methods"?

I wonder and wonder? where is Colombo when you need him?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Why does the district not just post a $10,000 reward for the necessary information and pay the money in complete secrecy. Would be cheaper than paying $50,000 as I understand it will cost. Oh, and also charge the culprits for the cost of the reward.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Why does the district not just post a $10,000 reward for the necessary information and pay the money in complete secrecy. Would be cheaper than paying $50,000 as I understand it will cost. Oh, and also charge the culprits for the cost of the reward.
Because $50K is nothing to the developer, especially when he can pass that cost on to you. While the developer is not having the individual person that cut the trees down pay the fine, he is having the group of people (that the person belongs to= residents) pay the fine.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

I agree Challenger. It's time to demand some action. This crime should not be that difficult to solve, and the resolution should be swift and punitive.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My guess is that both the developer and the Sheriff have a pretty good idea who ordered the trees to be cut down but finding the necessary proof is another thing. My guess is it will come about from a disgruntled employee of XYZ Company reporting the owner, who will, in turn, name the homeowner, if anyone ever comes forward. Not the best evidentiary flow for a court. Sadly, I think we're stuck paying the fine and nothing further will occur.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I initially thought "what does the Developer have to gain" by getting this issue dealt with quickly; since houses in that area were sold many years ago. Now I can see that the specter of bad publicity could be a motivating factor in getting this issue quickly "put to bed".

Agree. We initially wondered why it all happened so quickly. Start with lowball estimate of damages, pay it quickly, move on...we've been had, folks. Any bad publicity has been minimized. Sad.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Because $50K is nothing to the developer, especially when he can pass that cost on to you. While the developer is not having the individual person that cut the trees down pay the fine, he is having the group of people (that the person belongs to= residents) pay the fine.
How does one know that "the developer" and/or the District don't have property insurance with coverage for tree theft to which they have or will submit a claim?

Obviously the trees are valuable, so wouldn't there be insurance for theft of them?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Most entities as big as the "Developer" are self insured for trivial matters.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
My guess is that both the developer and the Sheriff have a pretty good idea who ordered the trees to be cut down but finding the necessary proof is another thing. My guess is it will come about from a disgruntled employee of XYZ Company reporting the owner, who will, in turn, name the homeowner, if anyone ever comes forward. Not the best evidentiary flow for a court. Sadly, I think we're stuck paying the fine and nothing further will occur.
I feel sure that you are correct.

Increase the reward. If it leads to the perp, then we can sue. If they live in one of the benefitted homes, they are obviously not judgement proof.

This is one case , at least for me , that recovery of the money is not the most important obective. Exposing to public scorn will be much greater punishment.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
I feel sure that you are correct.

Increase the reward. If it leads to the perp, then we can sue. If they live in one of the benefitted homes, they are obviously not judgement proof.

This is one case , at least for me , that recovery of the money is not the most important obective. Exposing to public scorn will be much greater punishment.
Kind of like The Scarlett Letter. Best to build the scaffold from the tainted timber.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Kind of like The Scarlett Letter. Best to build the scaffold from the tainted timber.
I like the scaffold idea!!b

Last edited by Challenger; 06-24-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
How does one know that "the developer" and/or the District don't have property insurance with coverage for tree theft to which they have or will submit a claim?

Obviously the trees are valuable, so wouldn't there be insurance for theft of them?
Hi sunnyatlast: as a career insurance guy I doubt the trees were covered under an insurance policy. the district/Developers insurance coverage for these tree were us

Personal Best Regards:
Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
The Developer is not passing any cost. The trees were on property under the control of The Southwest Water District. The $50,000 is not a fine. It is the cost of replacement. Under the terms of agreement it is the VCDD who is responsible for the replacement.

Why is the Developer always at fault?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.