District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 AM
Platinum member

Lots of persons whose opinions I greatly respect based on past posts on TOTV are suggesting that we forget this issue and move on. I am convinced that they are people of good will who simply believe that this fight is a loser and a waste of time. I get that. Maybe they are right, but I don't think we have to do that yet. At least I hope not. Whoever did this to us deserve for us to make them sweat, and to ultimately be caught and pay. I still believe that "right" can win if you fight hard enough and long enough. And if that is naive, then so be it.

I'm not asking that files be opened. I'm not asking that we go to court. I'm not asking for arrests. I'm not asking for sit ins or protests. I'm not asking anyone to name names. I'm not asking for any of these things......yet! I would simply like a rationale explanation from our Sheriff, our District Manager, the applicable Board of Supervisors, our local newspaper, or some other person in the know on the progress of what I believe should be an ongoing investigation. Just give me a reason other than "because no one is talking." Let me know, with details, that this is not a dead issue leaving only the citizens of The Villages en masse as the losers. Give me something other than "too bad, so just pay up and shut up."
Old 06-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Lots of persons whose opinions I greatly respect based on past posts on TOTV are suggesting that we forget this issue and move on. I am convinced that they are people of good will who simply believe that this fight is a loser and a waste of time. I get that. Maybe they are right, but I don't think we have to do that yet. At least I hope not. Whoever did this to us deserve for us to make them sweat, and to ultimately be caught and pay. I still believe that "right" can win if you fight hard enough and long enough. And if that is naive, then so be it.

I'm not asking that files be opened. I'm not asking that we go to court. I'm not asking for arrests. I'm not asking for sit ins or protests. I'm not asking anyone to name names. I'm not asking for any of these things......yet! I would simply like a rationale explanation from our Sheriff, our District Manager, the applicable Board of Supervisors, our local newspaper, or some other person in the know on the progress of what I believe should be an ongoing investigation. Just give me a reason other than "because no one is talking." Let me know, with details, that this is not a dead issue leaving only the citizens of The Villages en masse as the losers. Give me something other than "too bad, so just pay up and shut up."
Do you think you will get that by posting the question here?
If you are soooooooo interested, why not make a few phone calls and set up a meeting with those you think have all the secrets?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

Very logical and well stated. This sounds like a question that should be asked at Welcome Wednesday: "Welcome Wednesday is a program designed to give residents the opportunity to learn about ongoing projects, address rumors and have their questions answered by District staff. Please join us each Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. at the District office located at 984 Old Mill Run to have the opportunity to hear first-hand about the latest rumors and meet District Board Supervisors from your CDD and others."
Old 06-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I respect everyone's opinions on this subject except the ones laced with sarcasm.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I respect everyone's opinions on this subject except the ones laced with sarcasm.
CF - I'm trying to figure out whether my post was laced with sarcasm or not. Oh, that's right, I don't even recallI if i posted on this thread. 👿
Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
CF - I'm trying to figure out whether my post was laced with sarcasm or not. Oh, that's right, I don't even recallI if i posted on this thread. 👿
Ha ha! No, I always appreciate your humor & wisdom, and your lack of memory somewhat matches my own.

I agree with upping the reward and catching the crims. I don't agree with the public having to contribute. TV and the sheriff should be taking care of that part of it. Not that it will happen, but that's my opinion.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Ha ha! No, I always appreciate your humor & wisdom, and your lack of memory somewhat matches my own.

I agree with upping the reward and catching the crims. I don't agree with the public having to contribute. TV and the sheriff should be taking care of that part of it. Not that it will happen, but that's my opinion.
And we are sticking to it!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit since its aim is to belittle or hurt someone, and to laugh at their expense; we associate the word 'cutting' with it.

.... and now back to this question of illegal tree cutting. I may be in the minority here, but I do not think that Ms. Tutt or the Developer have given up on this problem. I have heard that Ms. Tutt is like a dog with a bone and will shake it to death until the truth falls out!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Just for the record, there is not one ounce of sarcasm intended in any of my posts on this thread, and if someone mistook any of them for sarcasm, then I offer my most humble apology. I'm not sure to whom you were referring, and I prefer to think that it was not me, but I just wanted you to know that every word I said is sincere.

I also agree that neither the Developer nor Ms. Tutt had anything to do with the infamous cutting of the trees.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Do you think you will get that by posting the question here?
If you are soooooooo interested, why not make a few phone calls and set up a meeting with those you think have all the secrets?
I'm not sure if this helps by posting here or not, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt and maybe someone with authority reads this stuff too. I am interested Bogie. In fact I am sooooooo interested that I've asked these questions. Why don't I set up a meeting? Because others are getting paid well to do those things for us, and I'm hoping they pursue the issue.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
...I may be in the minority here, but I do not think that Ms. Tutt or the Developer have given up on this problem. I have heard that Ms. Tutt is like a dog with a bone and will shake it to death until the truth falls out!
You may be in the minority, but you are definitely not alone. I wholeheartedly agree.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Agree. We initially wondered why it all happened so quickly. Start with lowball estimate of damages, pay it quickly, move on...we've been had, folks. Any bad publicity has been minimized. Sad.
Unfortunately, alot of residents are probably of the mindset that if there isn't any increase in my amenity/maintenance fees, I don't care. There is no such thing as a free lunch and somewhere along the way, we're all paying for it. I would rather have a little "bad press" than allow things like this to be swept under the rug. What will it be next time?
Old 06-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the Sheriff knows exactly who did it but has no hard proof. Circumstantial evidence rarely wins in a court of law. Personally, I really don't want my tax dollars thrown away on a trial that will go nowhere. I also sincerely hope that the neighbors are totally ostracizing this homeowner. Bridgeport Lake Miona has some pretty close knit friendships. It would be nice if these folks had a block party every week and made sure the perpetrators were never invited. At least it would be a little justice.

As to opening the files to show what the Sheriff has or has not done to investigate this matter, not gonna happen and, personally, I wouldn't want it to. That's not how our justice works today. Imagine if a file had your name in it as a possible suspect but you're completely innocent. Would you want your name bandied around?

The reason I say let it go is simply because I doubt there will ever be enough proof to do anything. Knowing who did it is just not enough. Even knowing who was hired is not enough. The individuals who physically cut down the trees might be brought to trial. They could even name who hired them but, without a physical trail, it be comes a he said/he said. Again, hard to convict under those circumstances.

And, finally, while truth is always a defense against libel and slander, you must be able to prove what you said was true in a court of law. Good luck on proving this one.

And I am now going to return to my world, with a sincere wish that the folks who had those beautiful trees removed get a very swift, hard kick in their self-entitled behinds by Karma.
redwitch: It would be hard to argue against you except for the part of " even if they knew who cut down the trees...." because by knowing who did cut those trees marks them for the dirty deed and the responsibility and I doubt they would set back and take the blame alone and especially the restitution Its possible the homeowners known as the " interested parties" could have cut the trees themselves

We may not solve the mystery but responding to this thread is at least good therapy
Old 06-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Sage

Without reading back through all the posts, I am wondering if the trees have been replaced yet, and if so, were they put back in the original spots, covering up the homeowners' views? I certainly hope so.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Without reading back through all the posts, I am wondering if the trees have been replaced yet, and if so, were they put back in the original spots, covering up the homeowners' views? I certainly hope so.
I don't think the trees are being replaced with mature ones. Probably about the size of a reforestation tree. But they grow like crazy. In fact they may be 50 feet tall by the end of this thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.