District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I wasn't there during the investigation so I clearly don't know what happened. However, you can't force someone to talk. You are under no obligation to talk to investigators and you have the right to not incriminate yourself. I believe the most likely turn of events is that nobody has admitted anything, therefore, there is no evidence to act upon. I understand the cut down trees were not transported (i.e. they were left in place). It isn't as if the wood was stacked in someone's yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Maybe not, but riddle me this:

If someone steals a car, and the tires from that car are found in my garage, is that not evidence enough to make me explain how they got there? Will you accept my answer if I say, "I don't know" or will you make me explain because it's my garage?

Circumstantial? Yes. Damning? For sure. Troubling? Without question. Worth pursuing? I certainly think so. Is that enough to charge someone for something? Maybe.

If someone illegally cuts down trees, and the wood from those trees is stacked in my yard, will you ask me how it got there? Will you accept my answer if I say, "I don't know" or will you make me explain because it's my yard?

Is that what happened in this tree cutting case?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most people would see no reason to think that law enforcement didn't follow all procedures in gaining information. All the laws of the land protect all of us from illegal search. It simply looks to me like not enough evidence to convict.

But I think sooner or later we will find out what landscaper was hired to do this.
It is not a matter of who the landscaper is,but who hired them,They are the guilty party !

Last edited by handyman; 06-29-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Sage
Default District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
It is not a matter of who the landscaper is,but who hired them,they are the guilty party !
It would likely be both. Any legititmate landscaping business would know whether such significant work was properly permitted or not.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
If you have a question to ask, I would suggest that you attend the next Welcome Wednesday at 11 A. M. in the District office at Lake Sumter. As representatives from all areas of our local government including law enforcement will be attendance, its a great place to start. I was impressed with the people in attendance, the presentations given and the amount of time given for questions.

Ask questions and let your feelings on this matter be known at this meeting.
That will be difficult for some these posters, can't hide behind name as on TOTV.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
If you have a question to ask, I would suggest that you attend the next Welcome Wednesday at 11 A. M. in the District office at Lake Sumter. As representatives from all areas of our local government including law enforcement will be attendance, its a great place to start. I was impressed with the people in attendance, the presentations given and the amount of time given for questions.
Ask questions and let your feelings on this matter be known at this meeting.
Will you be attending the next Welcome Wednesday meeting and asking questions?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Everyone must pick and choose what battles to wage. Golf cart safety is much more important to me than apprehending the persons responsible for the tree cutting. So, I made a passionate appeal for more attention to be focused on that issue when I was there.

As I am now in Ohio until sometime in October, I will not be attending another meeting anytime soon. However, I would not hesitate to attend when in town as the people in attendance seem to respond to questions from anyone, even me a newbie.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-30-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When I was new to the Villages, I wasn't concerned about what battles to wage. I was trying to absorb how things worked. No. That is wrong. I thought things worked very well. I just enjoyed how things worked very well.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I suspect that the results of the investigation (to date) can be FOIA'd if anyone has the time and interest to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I was new to the Villages, I wasn't concerned about what battles to wage. I was trying to absorb how things worked. No. That is wrong. I thought things worked very well. I just enjoyed how things worked very well.
Things still do work very well. In fact, much better than almost anywhere else in the developed world. That does not stop the conspiracy theorists from spewing negativity. Too many of these posts are speculative garbage rooted in watching too many law and order television programs. Only on TV do the authorities keep the citizens informed every step of the way during an investigation.

Stuff happens. Now, let's start Happy Hour early!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Platinum member

I'm sorry. I just thought some of us had some legitimate questions about what we felt was an injustice to all of us in our community, and we refuse to accept the "stuff happens" defense for that injustice.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm sorry. I just thought some of us had some legitimate questions about what we felt was an injustice to all of us in our community, and we refuse to accept the "stuff happens" defense for that injustice.
"Stuff Happens" is and was not offered as a defense for the injustice. It was another way of saying: "The incident is being investigated. Period. Move on. This huge injustice cost us all $3 or $4. The angst is costing exponentially more than that. Many more critical and catastrophic wrongs end up unresolved.

Consider the possibility that this entire thing was a screw up on the part of a third party contractor. It would not be the first time something like that has happened. The wrong houses get demolished. The wrong cars get repossessed . The wrong leg gets amputated. For most of these, the guy who screwed up is around to get blamed. In this instance, it is possible no one witnessed the incident and a home owner who inadvertently gained a "view", may have decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth.

There is reasonable doubt. Just embrace it and move on. Justice has a way of just "happening" when you least expect it.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Gold member

I have ignored this thread long enough. I wanted to see what warrants almost 500 responses. Now I know.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I have ignored this thread long enough. I wanted to see what warrants almost 500 responses. Now I know.
So can you tell me?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
"Stuff Happens" is and was not offered as a defense for the injustice. It was another way of saying: "The incident is being investigated. Period. Move on. This huge injustice cost us all $3 or $4. The angst is costing exponentially more than that. Many more critical and catastrophic wrongs end up unresolved.

Consider the possibility that this entire thing was a screw up on the part of a third party contractor. It would not be the first time something like that has happened. The wrong houses get demolished. The wrong cars get repossessed . The wrong leg gets amputated. For most of these, the guy who screwed up is around to get blamed. In this instance, it is possible no one witnessed the incident and a home owner who inadvertently gained a "view", may have decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth.

There is reasonable doubt. Just embrace it and move on. Justice has a way of just "happening" when you least expect it.
Good points all. Thank you for the clarity. It's not the $3 or $4 to me at all. It's the principle! Some folks are chuckling at all of us and they may get away with it. I just find it difficult to sit back and take that but maybe I should.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So can you tell me?
For me it's about the principle of right vs. wrong!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.