District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I think you missed her message. The land on which the trees were cut, and from which they were removed, belongs to a very powerful state sanctioned agency that heavily regulates its property. They can levy fines and demand return of the property to its prior state. This the did, and they will charge the district for the cost of monitoring the site as well. I know you did not want to review the previous posts, but a quick skim would have helped.
I know I missed a lot of details on this by choice, so I apologize...but I am curious...

If the trees were cut by someone unknown and it was not on Villages property, then why did the Villages get fined in the first place?

How did the state agency find the Villages at fault?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Sage
Default District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I know I missed a lot of details on this by choice, so I apologize...but I am curious...

If the trees were cut by someone unknown and it was not on Villages property, then why did the Villages get fined in the first place?

How did the state agency find the Villages at fault?

Let me correct something I said. The land is owned by TV, but is under the jurisdiction and use controls of the the state agency noted above. (South West Water Management District .. I think) TV is subject to tremendous numbers of regulations from this agency. It's kind of like if you want to remove a tree of significant size from your property you must get permission from TV. If you do not, TV can require that you replace that tree.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Let me correct something I said. The land is owned by TV, but is under the jurisdiction and use controls of the the state agency noted above. (South West Water Management District .. I think) TV is subject to tremendous numbers of regulations from this agency. It's kind of like if you want to remove a tree of significant size from your property you must get permission from TV. If you do not, TV can require that you replace that tree.
Thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Let me correct something I said. The land is owned by TV, but is under the jurisdiction and use controls of of the the state agency noted above.
Nice catch, dbussone.

As you say, TV owns the property. But SWFWMD Environmental Resource Permits strictly limit what can take place over the property in question. Removing the trees was (obviously) not a permitted activity.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Thanks!

You are welcome. Have a nice Fourth of July.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Sage

If interested, here is their website. They have very broad powers related to water and land uses: Southwest Florida Water Management District
Old 07-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We are used to this from living on Lake Michigan. If you want to move a dune two inches, it will probably take you a year to get a permit. Very hard to mess with protected land. If you do and get caught, you must restore at your own cost.

And DB, nice of you to explain. Five minutes' worth of reading and newguy could have answered his own questions.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:58 PM

the risk we run
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	trees removed.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	52860  
Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopjt View Post
the risk we run

That's pretty funny. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Default Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
So what are they doing?
Someone posted an answer to my above question regarding what is Sumter and Fl State doing about this. Suggesting that I call them....

I did. They already did their job and thank you for them.

* Many months ago many trees on Village property bordering a non village owned lake were illegally cut down and trucked away.

* Sumter and FL state fined The Villages $50,000.00

* The Villages paid the fine

To answer your question. The county and state did their job and received their fine and new trees being replanted so they are done.
So, IMO... TV chose to pay this fine and charge the residents of this VCCD and apparently case closed for TV
Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
...The county and state did their job and received their fine and new trees being replanted so they are done.
So, IMO... TV chose to pay this fine and charge the residents of this VCCD and apparently case closed for TV
That's a fair assessment of the situation imho.

The only clarification I would offer is that TV didn't choose to pay the fine. There was no choice. SWFWMD would not delay for a long period of investigation. TV (VCCD) is the permittee and they are responsible for permit violations.

If the VCCD wishes to pursue the matter further, it is a separate matter as far as SWFWMD is concerned.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
WHAT do you think really happened then? WHAT exactly? Who is it that you mistrust the most? Then second? Then third? and who do you think is lying and who do you think is not doing what you think should be done which is? And who is to blame? And who profited from this?
I don't know what really happened other than those of us who are residents of The Villages got fined for something we did not do.

I don't know exactly, but really want to know. All I've ever asked is that our local officials inform us of the status of the investigation more than the fact that what they have is inconclusive.

First I mistrust the person or persons who had the idea to secretly and apparently clandestinely cut down some protected trees for whatever reason they may have. Second I mistrust whoever did the actual physical deed of cutting the trees. I would not use the word "mistrust" for others, but I deeply wonder why our local sheriff, local newspaper, district manager, and supervisors are not informing us of the status and details of this investigation, for which the residents of this community paid a substantial fine.

I have accused no one of lying, though I think the person or persons who cut the trees and/or hired the cutting of the trees is lying. I have not pointed a finger of blame. I believe the person or persons who cut the trees or hired someone to cut down the trees profited in some fashion. I do not know that others "profited" in any way, nor have I accused them of such, but I am infinitely curious why this investigation seems so difficult to conclude.

Now, I love our community too. I choose to live here because I love it. This crime will never sit well with me until we know who did it and force them to receive the punishment rather than the citizens of TV. Yes, my share of the fine would be minimal, as would yours, but it's the principle that sticks in my craw, and I hope it does in everyone's.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I don't know what really happened other than those of us who are residents of The Villages got fined for something we did not do.

I don't know exactly, but really want to know. All I've ever asked is that our local officials inform us of the status of the investigation more than the fact that what they have is inconclusive.

First I mistrust the person or persons who had the idea to secretly and apparently clandestinely cut down some protected trees for whatever reason they may have. Second I mistrust whoever did the actual physical deed of cutting the trees. I would not use the word "mistrust" for others, but I deeply wonder why our local sheriff, local newspaper, district manager, and supervisors are not informing us of the status and details of this investigation, for which the residents of this community paid a substantial fine.

I have accused no one of lying, though I think the person or persons who cut the trees and/or hired the cutting of the trees is lying. I have not pointed a finger of blame. I believe the person or persons who cut the trees or hired someone to cut down the trees profited in some fashion. I do not know that others "profited" in any way, nor have I accused them of such, but I am infinitely curious why this investigation seems so difficult to conclude.

Now, I love our community too. I choose to live here because I love it. This crime will never sit well with me until we know who did it and force them to receive the punishment rather than the citizens of TV. Yes, my share of the fine would be minimal, as would yours, but it's the principle that sticks in my craw, and I hope it does in everyone's.
I generally agree with your thoughts...except for the last one. I will not let it stick in my craw.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Someone posted an answer to my above question regarding what is Sumter and Fl State doing about this. Suggesting that I call them....

I did. They already did their job and thank you for them.

* Many months ago many trees on Village property bordering a non village owned lake were illegally cut down and trucked away.

* Sumter and FL state fined The Villages $50,000.00

* The Villages paid the fine

To answer your question. The county and state did their job and received their fine and new trees being replanted so they are done.
Who did you call?
How could Sumter (county?) fine anybody?
If the county did their job; what was their job?
The county did not receive any fine $, did they?
Is this all opinion?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 PM

I would like to know where The Village Watch was while this was happening. I see them driving around, but I never see them actually doing anything.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.