District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Sage

Early last March we watched in dismay as a contractor cut down 25 healthy oaks, ranging in diameter from 9" to 19" in a large oak grove on the championship course behind our house.

While the cutting was going on, we called The Villages to report it. The rep sent out by Community Standards sympathized but said The Villages had nothing to do with this; it was under Golf Management's jurisdiction. So I called head of Golf Management, Todd Basso. He told me he ordered the trees cut so that "the remaining trees would flourish." When I asked if he had consulted an arborist on which and how many trees needed to go, he replied "no," he himself decided which trees to remove.

So there may be rules for us homeowners re cutting down trees, but they obviously don't concern or apply to Golf Management.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Platinum member

Someone right her in The Villages knows who did this, and they are perfectly content to let the rest of us pay for it through the District. Thanks Neighbor!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Oh that is terrible. I'm a tree hugger. I see so many people who are anti-tree. What's up with that? Those people who live there know who cut the trees.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
So who now has a spectacular view!?!?!?!

I would guess that everyone who lives there feels they know who did it. I hope the persons at fault get the bill and I hope they learn a lesson. You can't break laws to get what you want. Period and AMEN.

And I am not a tree hugger. Well maybe a little. I love those big oaks near the intersection of Buena Vista and Stillwater. I always imagine that is what Heaven looks like.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-20-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

Actually, they may very well face criminal charges. I'm thinking obstruction of justice, maybe a felony based on the amount of monetary damage and any impeding of the investigation that may have transpired. I hope the person that ordered this spends some serious JAIL time and learns that money doesn't buy anything they want. I see a very spoiled person that just doesn't give a damn about anyone else!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

The loss of the trees At Miona is criminal, but the real reason the SWFTMUD is on our backs is for the obliteration of the preserve area. When whoever did this they took both the trees and clearcut the preserve to the ground and that is considered a criminal act by the SWFTMUD.

It's heavy reading, but if anyone is interested this is a State report on both Miona and Black Lakes which are in some way interconnected. https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/proje...rt_sep2006.pdf

Buried within this article is the information on the preserve.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Sage

I think that it will be very hard to prove. I think that those folks got together and found someone who would do it for cash. No paper trail, certainly no marked trucks. But those of us who read the paper know who did it or are pretty sure.

And to the folks who are pickin' on the Bridgeport folks in general, that isn't nice or fair or even true. There are folks who live in all the other kinds of homes that do bad things too. Square footage is not a factor..

If you lived down at the other end of that village, you wouldn't have been aware. I would think that the immediate neighbors would know, unless the folks used hand saws.

And quit blamin' the developers. Why do some folks always blame the developers. The developers had NOTHING to gain.

No I don't work for them and I am grouchy.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Is the sheriff's office treating this as a criminal act? Wouldn't the state have a horse in this race. Who would benefit most from this act--it is probably obvious to the neighbors.

This smells real bad!!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Platinum member

If this is a criminal act, couldn't those folks be subpoenaed to testify? Maybe I'm naive, but would they perjure themselves under oath?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
If this is a criminal act, couldn't those folks be subpoenaed to testify? Maybe I'm naive, but would they perjure themselves under oath?

If they were brazen enough to arrange it to happen, knowing it was wrong, I would guess they would lie under oath.

Sheriff's office has issued a thousand dollar reward for information etc.. That might be attractive to one of the tree sawer's friends and associates.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If they were brazen enough to arrange it to happen, knowing it was wrong, I would guess they would lie under oath.

Sheriff's office has issued a thousand dollar reward for information etc.. That might be attractive to one of the tree sawer's friends and associates.
"Silence" is there a darker agenda affecting this issue in the neighborhood? Why is the District paying for this crime??? Have they been found to be responsible?

Obviously there is a whole lot more to this story
Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 AM

I think this case will be be solved. It sounds like a lot of people were involved. The police/sheriff may apply some pressure to get people to cooperate. You can't make people testify (you can make them appear in court). If I were the Detective working this case I would interview everyone of the neighbors and then go to the States Attorney and ask about granting immunity to one person willing to testify. I would also let it be known for those who do not cooperate criminal and civil charges will be forthcoming.
With that many people involved someone will give the information. People love to talk and gossip and the word will get out.
If anyone ever decides to commit a crime my advice is to do it by yourself and not let anyone know, even your spouse. So many cases are solved by someone being mad at someone else and turning the other person in.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Maybe all the people of that village should be held responsible and let them pay.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinMd View Post
I think this case will be be solved. It sounds like a lot of people were involved. The police/sheriff may apply some pressure to get people to cooperate. You can't make people testify (you can make them appear in court). If I were the Detective working this case I would interview everyone of the neighbors and then go to the States Attorney and ask about granting immunity to one person willing to testify. I would also let it be known for those who do not cooperate criminal and civil charges will be forthcoming.
With that many people involved someone will give the information. People love to talk and gossip and the word will get out.
If anyone ever decides to commit a crime my advice is to do it by yourself and not let anyone know, even your spouse. So many cases are solved by someone being mad at someone else and turning the other person in.
Sounds right

Still would like to know why District is on the hook for pymt of the fines???
Dosen't pass the "smell" test
Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

One other thing if this took several hours to do did the block watch guys see it they should know something.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.