District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
"Silence" is there a darker agenda affecting this issue in the neighborhood? Why is the District paying for this crime??? Have they been found to be responsible?

Obviously there is a whole lot more to this story

You know that I am a great fan of yours Challenger, but I can't figure out what you are getting at. Do you think that someone from the district issued the orders for the tree removal?

I don't think so. They have carried new trees everywhere in the new areas to be planted. It would not benefit the district for a few homes already inhabited to have a clear view of the lake. I think the fault lies where the wood lay stacked.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Sounds right

Still would like to know why District is on the hook for pymt of the fines???
Dosen't pass the "smell" test
Rightly or wrongly, I'm going to assume that the District is on the hook for this due to the fact that the damage is in their District. According to the information that was passed along in the meeting I attended, SOMEONE has to pay for the damage, and right now that someone is The Villages in one form or another. I am only assuming that if, and when, the perpetrator is found they will be prosecuted, and it will then be up to court to decide how painful the settlement will be.

This is much bigger than it seems on the surface ........... we will now have the State Environmental Dept. crawling all over TV, we will have SWFWMD as regular visitors and certainly more Florida Agencies breathing down the Developer's neck. I, personally, believe that the Developer has done everything by the book in building TV and this criminal act will make him a target.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You know that I am a great fan of yours Challenger, but I can't figure out what you are getting at. Do you think that someone from the district issued the orders for the tree removal?

I don't think so. They have carried new trees everywhere in the new areas to be planted. It would not benefit the district for a few homes already inhabited to have a clear view of the lake. I think the fault lies where the wood lay stacked.
Gracie,

I am a great supporter of the Districts, the Developers , and am not shy about expressing my support for their actions and integrity.

That being said, we need some clear explanation why a District would be required to pay a fine for the criminal actions of others.

This may be all on the up and up, If so the speculation would be cleared up buy some "facts" There may be a good explamation.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
One other thing if this took several hours to do did the block watch guys see it they should know something.
It is back in "the woods" between the houses and a desolate area of Lake Miona and if someone used handsaws , it could have been undetected, but not by the immediate neighbors. Those homes adjacent would be where somebody would notice something.... Someone knows.

Read the article and go to Sumterpa.com and type in Lake Miona (not drive), just Lake Miona, and see where this is. You will see the trees and see how out of sight this area would be to many.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Gracie,

I am a great supporter of the Districts, the Developers , and am not shy about expressing my support for their actions and integrity.

That being said, we need some clear explanation why a District would be required to pay a fine for the criminal actions of others.

This may be all on the up and up, If so the speculation would be cleared up buy some "facts" There may be a good explamation.

I have never known you to be wrong, sir. I admire you very much.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
"Silence" is there a darker agenda affecting this issue in the neighborhood? Why is the District paying for this crime??? Have they been found to be responsible?

Obviously there is a whole lot more to this story
I don't know the law or the details, but I'm guessing that these trees were located on land either belonging to the district or under the care of the district. If so, then the district is charged with protecting the land from this type of encroachment and destruction, and thus they are held responsible.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I don't know the law or the details, but I'm guessing that these trees were located on land either belonging to the district or under the care of the district. If so, then the district is charged with protecting the land from this type of encroachment and destruction, and thus they are held responsible.
I think you are correct. This area is designated as wetlands and I'm under the impression that wetlands cannot be "owned" by anyone, but are managed by State, Federal and Local Agencies. There is actually a Home Owners Guide to Wetlands which gives 50+ pages of information on what you can and cannot do. In this case the land that was cut was not "owned" by the homeowner, there is a large buffer zone between wetlands and the homeowners property. So on top of everything else, they were trespassing and destroying on State/Federal land.

Someone has opened Pandora's box ......................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Exactly! According to the Sun, some of the residents were "traveling" when the incident happened. The sheriff states it's "incredulous" that none of the residents questioned by them knew anything about it. It would have taken hours to accomplish the job.

No doubt whoever did this was paid by somebody or some group.
I smell a rat !!!! Maybe more than just one. My thought are that perhaps several neighbors joined together and hired someone to cut the trees. The act took considerable time and no one saw or heard anything ?? C'mon. Those who know something are not talking.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Good point, it would not be the first time someone from the district made a mistake and tried to hide the damages. It concerns me that the district was awfully quick to assume they would pay to clean up the mess.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It is back in "the woods" between the houses and a desolate area of Lake Miona and if someone used handsaws , it could have been undetected, but not by the immediate neighbors. Those homes adjacent would be where somebody would notice something.... Someone knows.

Read the article and go to Sumterpa.com and type in Lake Miona (not drive), just Lake Miona, and see where this is. You will see the trees and see how out of sight this area would be to many.
If they used "hand saws" they would still be there. District manager Wartinbee states in the article "They were out there for hours with a chain saw." No doubt he inspected the cut down trees.

I have no doubt the developer had nothing at all to do with cutting down the trees. Most likely stuck with cost of rehab of area since it lies within district.

Rather convenient for some residences to be "traveling" while trees were cut. I would also want to be out of down when something like this took place.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:34 PM

I still believe if the law enforcement authorities apply enough pressure someone will talk. It's not like the authorities are dealing with hardened criminals or anything of that sort. Once the person/s realize they could lose their homes/fines/imprisonment you will have more than enough information. It really depends how many people are "in the know". Just remember the police can cell phone records and look for patterns, times, etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:46 PM

why not check the gate cameras for around the time this was done !! check the plates and see who was coming and going, it just blows my mind that noone in the neighborhood heard and saw anything, and did not question anyone about this ??
Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinMd View Post
I think this case will be be solved. It sounds like a lot of people were involved. The police/sheriff may apply some pressure to get people to cooperate. You can't make people testify (you can make them appear in court). If I were the Detective working this case I would interview everyone of the neighbors and then go to the States Attorney and ask about granting immunity to one person willing to testify. I would also let it be known for those who do not cooperate criminal and civil charges will be forthcoming.
With that many people involved someone will give the information. People love to talk and gossip and the word will get out.
If anyone ever decides to commit a crime my advice is to do it by yourself and not let anyone know, even your spouse. So many cases are solved by someone being mad at someone else and turning the other person in.

I agree wrt actions that should be taken by law enforcement, but don't you think this has already been done? If not, investigators aren't doing their jobs. The pool of people with a motive isn't large.

I don't agree that the case will be solved. Too much time has passed and it sounds like the CDD has accepted financial responsibility. Unbelievable.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t fields View Post
why not check the gate cameras for around the time this was done !! check the plates and see who was coming and going, it just blows my mind that noone in the neighborhood heard and saw anything, and did not question anyone about this ??

Great idea.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:04 PM

If this case is not solved something is very fishy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.