District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

The Villages Daily Sun, page 1 of Section C Local News, has an extensive article of illegal clear cutting of trees on Lake Miona. The cost to put the damage right is estimated to be upwards of $30,000 and will be paid by "The District".

My question is does anyone know who is "The District" and what monies do they use to pay for this illegal cutting.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage

The District is likely Lake Sumter CDD.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Platinum member

An even bigger question for me is "Who done it"? I hope the Sheriff's offices finds the culprits and makes them pay the costs back to the District.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
The District is likely Lake Sumter CDD.
If it is Sumter Landing CDD, does this mean it comes from our amenity fund, or is there some other way of handling this?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
An even bigger question for me is "Who done it"? I hope the Sheriff's offices finds the culprits and makes them pay the costs back to the District.
Someone knows for sure and is just not giving out the information. I was at a meeting last week when this was mentioned. At that time we were told that you do not ever mess with South West Florida Water Management District, the speaker said "they are the law in Florida", and the clean up of the clear cutting in the preserve area could cost whatever they wanted to charge!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

And of course the "approved answer", is the same as the blocked gate in the night,"I know nothing, I see nothing". Sounds like sergeant Schultz is the answer man for the villages!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

"Who done it and why did they do it" would be a good question for the sheriff's office.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

This could get very interesting. Where the trees were cut should show who would benefit.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Someone knows for sure and is just not giving out the information. I was at a meeting last week when this was mentioned. At that time we were told that you do not ever mess with South West Florida Water Management District, the speaker said "they are the law in Florida", and the clean up of the clear cutting in the preserve area could cost whatever they wanted to charge!
As I speak I am trying to recall the ex president of the VHA around 2005-2006 who was appointed to the Board of SWFWMD? I can see his face clearly but his names escapes me
Old 01-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Platinum member

I found this article mystifying. The "investigation" seems to be moving at a snail's pace. And what's with the two of the four homes "believed to be for sale." Either they are or they are not. Just the noise inherent in cutting these mature trees would certainly lead to neighbors asking questions. Something sounds fishy, and I hope folks living in that CDD don't end up paying.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I really cannot in my best day imagine that someone/anyone could go into an area like the one off Lake Miona Drive and begin taking down trees without the immediate neighbors as well as many others that certainly did witness what was going on......raising hell about it.

How was it possible for a task of that magnitude to go unchallenged.....behind ones home?....on one's block?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I really cannot in my best day imagine that someone/anyone could go into an area like the one off Lake Miona Drive and begin taking down trees without the immediate neighbors as well as many others that certainly did witness what was going on......raising hell about it.

How was it possible for a task of that magnitude to go unchallenged.....behind ones home?....on one's block?
Exactly! According to the Sun, some of the residents were "traveling" when the incident happened. The sheriff states it's "incredulous" that none of the residents questioned by them knew anything about it. It would have taken hours to accomplish the job.

No doubt whoever did this was paid by somebody or some group.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage

It's my personal feeling that now that this has been printed in the paper for all to see, someone will come forward with more information. What blows my mind is the people, or company, who actually did the clear cutting. They have to be local and they have to know you absolutely cannot work in a preserve, and they have to have been paid HUGE money to take this chance. On second thoughts, if you have sufficient money and you wanted to get rid of the trees that badly, you could bring in a company from Georgia to do the deed.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
It's my personal feeling that now that this has been printed in the paper for all to see, someone will come forward with more information. What blows my mind is the people, or company, who actually did the clear cutting. They have to be local and they have to know you absolutely cannot work in a preserve, and they have to have been paid HUGE money to take this chance. On second thoughts, if you have sufficient money and you wanted to get rid of the trees that badly, you could bring in a company from Georgia to do the deed.
So who now has a spectacular view!?!?!?!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
So who now has a spectacular view!?!?!?!

Exactly, sounds like Lake Miona has adopted the Ghetto Don't Snitch mentality. District should plant twice as many mature oaks where the old ones stood. It would not be to hard to find some poor local bubbas to do the cutting.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.