District to Pay for Unauthorized Tree Cutting

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM
gomoho's Avatar
gomoho gomoho is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Sold or taken off the market?
  #122  
Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Warren Kiefer Warren Kiefer is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,418
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is back in "the woods" between the houses and a desolate area of Lake Miona and if someone used handsaws , it could have been undetected, but not by the immediate neighbors. Those homes adjacent would be where somebody would notice something.... Someone knows.

Read the article and go to Sumterpa.com and type in Lake Miona (not drive), just Lake Miona, and see where this is. You will see the trees and see how out of sight this area would be to many.
Have you given thought to how long it would have taken to saw the trees using a handsaw ??
  #123  
Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 PM
janmcn janmcn is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,298
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Sold or taken off the market?
Don't know, it just disappeared. It doesn't say it is pending. There was an open house there as recently as last Friday. Will just have to wait and see if the house changes hands or reappears with another real estate company.
  #124  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,370
Thanks: 3,144
Thanked 2,735 Times in 996 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Have you given thought to how long it would have taken to saw the trees using a handsaw ??

You are right. I can't understand how all this tree cutting happened without a lot of people being aware of it.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #125  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,766
Thanks: 159
Thanked 439 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
At the PWAC meeting this morning, it was announced by Sam Wartinbee that the price for replacing these trees has risen to $45,000 to $50,000. This according to a new article in the on-line news.

It was also announced that no arrests have been made in this case, although the investigation continues.

Also, according to TV web site, a house that was for sale for $1,100,000 that benefits from the improved view, is no longer on the market. The plot thickens.
Yes it does. And now CDD's 5 through 10 are sharing the cost of nearly $50,000. Maybe I am being naive, but I still think the culprits will be caught. Eventually.
  #126  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,402
Thanks: 15
Thanked 365 Times in 197 Posts
Default

I wonder what you get for 50,000 dollars. Just think what the cost was for the trees at Brownwood.
  #127  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,701
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I have in my younger days cut large diameter trees with a hand saw and believe you mean your hands will cramp up for a few days.

I do not believe the culprits will be caught.

I do believe that the simplest answer is the correct answer and one should look to whom gains advantage of a better view.

I wish the District had not paid for this crime because once paid all interest by district and police will disappear because our money solved their problem

I do wish the district reviewed the legal possibility of charging the costs to the residents of this village because I assure you suddenly one neighbor would have a miraculous recollection of suspicious events

In short the district did not serve us best in the use of our amenities .
  #128  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:42 AM
downeaster downeaster is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Have you given thought to how long it would have taken to saw the trees using a handsaw ??
Having grown up in the days prior to power saws and having used both two man and one man (boy) bucksaws I can say this would have taken a long time if done by hand saws.

It seems the object was simply to cut down the trees and provide a clear sight line. Without the necessity of removing the cuttings it could have been accomplished by a couple of people with a chain saw in a very short time. No trucks, no trailers, no other equipment needed. I believe the area could have been accessed by boat as previously mentioned.
  #129  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM
bargee bargee is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Villages Florida
Posts: 349
Thanks: 27
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Tree Cutting

Being from the North(north of 466 that is) I don't have a "dog in the fight"but I hope those of you that do keep this alive by complaining to anyone that will listen.Some entitled AH committed a crime and should pay the price.There is no reason that an entire community should be penalized for the actions of a criminal.That word(criminal)may offend some but lets call it what it is.
  #130  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 PM
pmbinnj pmbinnj is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I have in my younger days cut large diameter trees with a hand saw and believe you mean your hands will cramp up for a few days.

I do not believe the culprits will be caught.

I do believe that the simplest answer is the correct answer and one should look to whom gains advantage of a better view.

I wish the District had not paid for this crime because once paid all interest by district and police will disappear because our money solved their problem

I do wish the district reviewed the legal possibility of charging the costs to the residents of this village because I assure you suddenly one neighbor would have a miraculous recollection of suspicious events

In short the district did not serve us best in the use of our amenities .
Its been 6 full weeks since this egregious act was first posted and it is just as disgraceful today as it was then. The most obvious motive has always been that one homeowner or a few homeowners desired a better water view at the expense of those beautiful old trees.

While the felled trees are truly awful, it is equally wrong to punish so many homeowners who will now foot the bill. I agree that if the $50,000 fee was charged only to the homeowners in this particular neighborhood someones memory would be jogged. After all, money is a powerful motive it makes idiots cut down trees (so they can sell their house for more $$$) but it also makes a lost memory become an Ah hanow I remember moment.

The reward has unfortunately not yet encouraged anyone to step forward but a hefty bill shared by a small neighborhood will produce reliable leads. Its time for those who know something to step forward and do the right thing.
  #131  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
obxgal's Avatar
obxgal obxgal is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 86
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbinnj View Post
Its been 6 full weeks since this egregious act was first posted and it is just as disgraceful today as it was then. The most obvious motive has always been that one homeowner or a few homeowners desired a better water view at the expense of those beautiful old trees.

While the felled trees are truly awful, it is equally wrong to punish so many homeowners who will now foot the bill. I agree that if the $50,000 fee was charged only to the homeowners in this particular neighborhood someones memory would be jogged. After all, money is a powerful motive it makes idiots cut down trees (so they can sell their house for more $$$) but it also makes a lost memory become an Ah hanow I remember moment.
I agree completely with what you say.
__________________
North of Pgh and OBX
  #132  
Old 03-04-2015, 03:38 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Have you given thought to how long it would have taken to saw the trees using a handsaw ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are right. I can't understand how all this tree cutting happened without a lot of people being aware of it.


I would think that anyone seasoned in using saws would be able to tell if a tree was cut with a hand saw or a chain saw.
This is all very strange because a chain saw makes tons of noise.

It's a puzzlement!
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #133  
Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargee View Post
Being from the North(north of 466 that is) I don't have a "dog in the fight"but I hope those of you that do keep this alive by complaining to anyone that will listen.Some entitled AH committed a crime and should pay the price.There is no reason that an entire community should be penalized for the actions of a criminal.That word(criminal)may offend some but lets call it what it is.
Pardon me, Bargee, but you do have a dog in the fight if you live here.

And pardon my ignorance, but isn't there such a thing called "insurance"
in some of these things such as vandalism, that we residents are charged for???
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #134  
Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,895
Thanks: 766
Thanked 649 Times in 219 Posts
Default

The cost of repairing the damage done to this area of Lake Miona is only the start .............. I cannot be the only person who saw that in future SWFMD are going to be monitoring the area at a cost of between $3 - $5,000 per three months .................. and who do you think is going to foot that continual bill?

It would seem to me that the residents impacted should be contacting their representatives and making an awful lot of noise! You need a good community organizer to get behind this and get to the bottom of it.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #135  
Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 AM
RedChariot RedChariot is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 450
Thanks: 409
Thanked 120 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I just don't understand why I must pay for this. CDD 5-10 to pay? Why? What about CDD 1-4? Why don't they have to share in the cost? It should only be the CDD that Lake Miona is in. I'm not the most politically active or knowledgeable person. Please make me understand how this can be fair.
__________________
Forgive My Edge-I'm from New Jersey.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.