Do any other pool owners have green water?

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. Our pool was cloudy after a huge storm this week. Some people get more rain than others. Ours had the most rain I have ever seen it get and the water level went up several inches. But no green water. But we run the pump several hours every day and have it serviced weekly by T and D. We also turned OFF the solar heater. Algae grows in warm, calm water that is not filtered.
Weather changes quickly here but T&D is 100% reliable to fix any problems.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

A photo of the pool water might have been helpful for proper TOTV diagnoses. [emoji328]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Green cloudy water is death for a pool...

Time to dump and replace both the pool water and the pool service... Good Luck
Nonsense. If the water is turning green and cloudy when it's especially hot and after a rain, then it's most likely just algae. Algae can be very EASILY and inexpensively cleaned up, without having to drain the pool, and it has NOTHING to do with good or bad pool service.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. Our pool was cloudy after a huge storm this week. Some people get more rain than others. Ours had the most rain I have ever seen it get and the water level went up several inches. But no green water. But we run the pump several hours every day and have it serviced weekly by T and D. We also turned OFF the solar heater. Algae grows in warm, calm water that is not filtered.
Agree 100% with you. It kind of makes me wonder how people can have lived to age 55+ without ever having experienced a pool with algae in it at least once up til that point. If you didn't have it in your pool, or your parents didn't own a pool, then a neighbor did. Or a co-worker did. Or a babysitter's mom did.

It's a pretty common problem for the precise reason that it is difficult to prevent 100%. Even if you do all the right things, a 5 degree bump in the temperature, a 20% bump in humidity, and a good couple inches of downpour can set the whole thing green the next morning.

Your advice is spot-on but it still isn't foolproof.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Green cloudy water is death for a pool...

Time to dump and replace both the pool water and the pool service... Good Luck

This is why I love ToTV.............anything can be posted and it's up to the reader to analyze and decide.

So funny.................I love America.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
My pool was green a couple of weeks ago. T&D services it. After they serviced it, it has been crystal clear. Do you live on a golf course? Several years ago my pool turned green. Then they said part of the problem is that chemicals used on the golf course blow into the pool. A few days before this last green, they were going over and over the golf course, making dust. Then the hot weather. And, I now leave the pump on 10 hours a day. Some times chemicals need to be adjusted due to the golf course.
Can't stop laughing..
Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
This is why I love ToTV.............anything can be posted and it's up to the reader to analyze and decide.

So funny.................I love America.

And some readers are quick to add from their vast warehouse of useable knowledge a 4 paragraph post of rambling...……………

You can stay....
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM
Sage

I have found..............if you drop 275 tablets into a pool, the green color will be gone in 24 hours.

Now, unfortunately......the water is blue and looks like a toilet, at our ages......that ain't all bad.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Pool Cleaner.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	80198  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Um. Excuse me T&D. You know that we are having lots of rain. Why aren't you adjusting the chemicals accordingly?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,048 Times in 2,738 Posts

Update from the OP. Thanks for all the replies. A T&D supervisor came both yesterday and today and will be coming again tomorrow. Problem is almost fixed, will be swimming tomorrow. Chlorine was too low because algae was eating it up. High phosphates were causing algae growth. Pool has been treated to lower phosphates, shocked, algae swept out and filter running non stop. Filter cleaned both days and getting new filter tomorrow. We don't live on a golf course but do abut a preserve that is seriously overgrown and pools near preserves tend to get exposed to more airborne phosphates. Supervisor has been great and admitted that our pool tech dropped the ball and should have been more on top of the situation. The supervisor is going to personally check on our pool monthly going forward.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Update from the OP. Thanks for all the replies. A T&D supervisor came both yesterday and today and will be coming again tomorrow. Problem is almost fixed, will be swimming tomorrow. Chlorine was too low because algae was eating it up. High phosphates were causing algae growth. Pool has been treated to lower phosphates, shocked, algae swept out and filter running non stop. Filter cleaned both days and getting new filter tomorrow. We don't live on a golf course but do abut a preserve that is seriously overgrown and pools near preserves tend to get exposed to more airborne phosphates. Supervisor has been great and admitted that our pool tech dropped the ball and should have been more on top of the situation. The supervisor is going to personally check on our pool monthly going forward.

Don't forget your arm floaties!!!
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I have found..............if you drop 275 tablets into a pool, the green color will be gone in 24 hours.

Now, unfortunately......the water is blue and looks like a toilet, at our ages......that ain't all bad.
Don't blue and yellow make green?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
You can bet the supervisor had a good talk with the tech. I doubt you'll have this problem again. T&D has an excellent reputation.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

The heat the past week and the amount of rain cause algae in my pool. T&D came today and everything was cleared. The techs come once a week. With high temps and heavy rain algae can form in a couple of days. We have not had algae since August 2018.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Same problem we had a few years back. Drained the pool twice over a two month period.
Something about an imbalance in the chemicals that can't be fixed by adding more chems.
Filter change/cleaning is also a key once the pool is treated for algae. And T&D offered to reimburse me for the water...I was just happy to get it "cleared" up.

Tags
pool, water, t&d, home, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.