Do any other pool owners have green water?

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts
Default Do any other pool owners have green water?

I just arrived at our Villages home last night and was highly anticipating a relaxing swim in our pool, which is maintained by T&D pool services. The first thing I noticed when I went into our birdcage was that the pool water was cloudy and has a greenish color to it, WTF? I did not want to get into that water! I called T&D this morning and they told me all the rain we have been having adds so much new untreated water to the pool that the chemicals can't keep up and is causing algae issues throughout the Villages. Really?

This morning I also went to an Estate sale since it was just down the road from us. There was a pool at that house that had crystal clear water! I also checked with a neighbor who has a pool and her water is perfect! I am guessing they both have had the same amount of rain as at our home. Do any other pool owners have this problem or is T&D feeding me an excuse for not properly doing their job? We pay T&D a lot of money to take care of our pool, which they also built. Is it not reasonable to expect the water to be clean and swimable when we arrive at our home?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We use T&D also (for a hot tub), call them back, tell them you want service TODAY, and followup if necessary to clean the water. There is no additional cost for additional service. I have had to do this 3 or 4 times when our hot tub water got cloudy. They should send out a supervisor to determine exactly what is wrong and make corrections. One of the items that may explain the difference is if the other pools were not the same chemistry as yours, salt versus chlorine, we actually use bromine in the hot tub now.
Hope this helps.
NOTE: I have always had very good luck when I needed an additional service call.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

The water in my chlorine pool is clear but there are acouple of places of geen on the walls at the bottom of the pool.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Tell them to come service your pool correctly. Your chlorine level is to low. There are many beautiful, clear pools around that are not turning green because of the rain. Your pump is not turning over enough water (run time) or they are not treating with enough chlorine. I agree with above, tell them to get out and do a proper service. Might want to increase chlorine to higher side with long hot days and increased rain fall.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 07-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Platinum member

My pool was green a couple of weeks ago. T&D services it. After they serviced it, it has been crystal clear. Do you live on a golf course? Several years ago my pool turned green. Then they said part of the problem is that chemicals used on the golf course blow into the pool. A few days before this last green, they were going over and over the golf course, making dust. Then the hot weather. And, I now leave the pump on 10 hours a day. Some times chemicals need to be adjusted due to the golf course.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I owned two different homes with pools in Pensacola and we didn't even have bird cages. Never had any problem and maintained them myself. Get a barrel of raw chlorine and throw in a couple of cups into the water and shock the pool. You should do that every spring anyway. Get an automated chlorinater if there isn't one already installed on your filter. It will looks something like this.

The Villages Florida

Then buy a bucket of chlorine tablets and keep it filled. Buy a test kit, you probably got one with the pool. Backwash your pool filter once a week. Check the skimmer baskets everyday. You can buy a Kreepy Krawler if need for the walls and bottom. Cancel your service with T&D and save money.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Sage

Chhlorine is out of specs--when we lived in NC, we had an indoor lap pool, it was my job to be chemist in chief--temp has a lot to do with "green"-after we left NC---no more pools-she uses the sports pools here--thank God

Also-today there are remote apps, with probes that will tell you how to treat your pool--it ain't rocket science-
Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

cats away mice will play ...and not do their job...still bill you
Old 07-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage
Default T&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
cats away mice will play ...and not do their job...still bill you
T&D is 100% reliable. They leave a filled out form every week detailing their service. We have been and the multiple forms are there when we return. Their pool people do a great job.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:03 PM

All the above is true, might want to have them check your nitrate level, if it is too high you will have to replace the water, no amount of chlorine will help. Nitrates come from all the fertiizers used around you.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

If you have fresh (not salt) water, then you need to shock the pool. Shock is an actual thing, it's a liquid you buy by the gallon in the pool supply store. If your pool is less than 15x15 square and 4 feet deep, then just add one gallon. If it's larger, add another gallon a few hours after you added the first. Turn the water pump on. Let it stay on for at least 24 hours, non-stop. Don't go into the pool for at least 6 hours after applying the last of however much shock you poured in. It's pretty potent stuff and will bleach your swimsuit. For salt water I have no idea, never had a salt water pool.

That'll clear it up. It's caused primarily by temperature. It's algae. Nothing to get alarmed about or blame the pool company for; they can't control the weather. They can fix it for you too, but the above directions is the quick fix to clear it up temporarily. Once it's cleared up it'll still need all the chemical levels checked and adjusted. Might need a little calcium too but let the pool professionals take care of that part for you if you're not comfortable running the tests yourself.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Sounds to me like they are failing to show up or failing to increase the chemicals with the rain situation.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Sage
Default T&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Sounds to me like they are failing to show up or failing to increase the chemicals with the rain situation.
They always show up never ever miss their schedule. The sudden high heat is causing our pools to have problems. T&D will fix the problem.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 PM

Green cloudy water is death for a pool...

Time to dump and replace both the pool water and the pool service... Good Luck
Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
T&D is 100% reliable. They leave a filled out form every week detailing their service. We have been and the multiple forms are there when we return. Their pool people do a great job.
I agree. Our pool was cloudy after a huge storm this week. Some people get more rain than others. Ours had the most rain I have ever seen it get and the water level went up several inches. But no green water. But we run the pump several hours every day and have it serviced weekly by T and D. We also turned OFF the solar heater. Algae grows in warm, calm water that is not filtered.

Tags
pool, water, t&d, home, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.