Do I get my bond value back if I pay if off early?

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

The information found here might help some to better understand bonds in TV - > Residential Bond Assessment Information
Old 01-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The buyers reimburse you for any or all of the bond paid off through price appreciation of a higher priced house, at market value, over the house cost you paid plus the bond you paid. The particulars of the house has a signficantly larger impact on the market value than the bond. But the willingness of the buyer to pay your price may be influenced by whether there is a bond or not. Most likely, when the market value of two equal size and designed and located houses are the same, the house without the bond will sell faster, but that does not factor the uniqueness of the buyer. Buyers can be irrational as well as sellers, being humans of course.

sportsguy
To go back to economics 101 you are assuming for the most part a very efficient market where all the buyers and sellers have complete information and act rationally.

Real life is never that simple and is often rather messy.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts
Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
To go back to economics 101 you are assuming for the most part a very efficient market where all the buyers and sellers have complete information and act rationally..
disagree completely.

behavioral economics explains human behavior much more accurately, economic 101 is 1950 's theories, which no longer hold relevance.

you are showing your age
Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Default Judge Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Some bonds have been refinanced at lower rates so paying off might be less attractive.
The book is "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining"
Old 01-18-2021, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
disagree completely.

behavioral economics explains human behavior much more accurately, economic 101 is 1950 's theories, which no longer hold relevance.

you are showing your age
I have moved on from totally agreeing with Keynesian economics.

I will comment on bond payments.

If market price of your house appreciates you sell you are getting the appreciation when you sell and not necessarily the total value of the bond you paid off.

We are in our house now for one year and not sure if we will move to a larger one. As a result we have decided not to pay off the bond now and will wait to see what we wish to do when the world allows us to travel again.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:

I will comment on bond payments.

If market price of your house appreciates you sell you are getting the appreciation when you sell and not necessarily the total value of the bond you paid off.

We are in our house now for one year and not sure if we will move to a larger one. As a result we have decided not to pay off the bond now and will wait to see what we wish to do when the world allows us to travel again.
exactly

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts
Default never disagreed with that statement

Quote:

I never disagreed with that statement. I disagreed with people who said that you never get your bond payment back, therefore you should never pay off the bond. I disagreed with people who said that they don't believe that they ever get their bond payment back if they pay it off.

If you read my posts, I suggest that with the recent rate (say 2017 onwards ) of house appreciation for new houses, you will get your bond payment back between 3-5 years of house appreciation, based on a bond of approximately 10% of the house value and an appreciation rate of 2.5% to 3%. So, if you want to save the cost of interest, which is significant over 20 years, and you plan to stay over 5 years, then you will get the cash you paid back, and save a ton on interest payments, thereby making your retirement income last longer.

So I don't disagree with your actions of not paying it off if you are thinking about moving within 3-5 years, I just disagree with the people who say that you never get your bond payment back if you pay it off early, or don't believe that they ever will.

Kind of like debunking an old realtor tale to never pay it off, which if everyone paid off their bond, would cause the cost of the villages public bonds to be more expensive as they would get a reputation for never lasting their stated duration.

sportsguy
Old 01-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
I never disagreed with that statement. I disagreed with people who said that you never get your bond payment back, therefore you should never pay off the bond. I disagreed with people who said that they don't believe that they ever get their bond payment back if they pay it off.

If you read my posts, I suggest that with the recent rate (say 2017 onwards ) of house appreciation for new houses, you will get your bond payment back between 3-5 years of house appreciation, based on a bond of approximately 10% of the house value and an appreciation rate of 2.5% to 3%. So, if you want to save the cost of interest, which is significant over 20 years, and you plan to stay over 5 years, then you will get the cash you paid back, and save a ton on interest payments, thereby making your retirement income last longer.

So I don't disagree with your actions of not paying it off if you are thinking about moving within 3-5 years, I just disagree with the people who say that you never get your bond payment back if you pay it off early, or don't believe that they ever will.

Kind of like debunking an old realtor tale to never pay it off, which if everyone paid off their bond, would cause the cost of the villages public bonds to be more expensive as they would get a reputation for never lasting their stated duration.

sportsguy
I think we have an issue of semantics. The value of a paid off bond is less than the amount used to pay it off. So, if your house has a market value of "X" on Monday and you pay off a $10,000 bond on Tuesday, you would hope that your house will be worth "X plus $10,000" on Wednesday. Unfortunately, your house will actually be worth much less than "X plus $10,000" on Wednesday. So, if you are going to sell your house tomorrow, don't pay off the bond today.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:36 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think we have an issue of semantics. The value of a paid off bond is less than the amount used to pay it off. So, if your house has a market value of "X" on Monday and you pay off a $10,000 bond on Tuesday, you would hope that your house will be worth "X plus $10,000" on Wednesday. Unfortunately, your house will actually be worth much less than "X plus $10,000" on Wednesday. So, if you are going to sell your house tomorrow, don't pay off the bond today.
Except, If it's raining............always pay it off.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Except, If it's raining............always pay it off.
Zero percent chance of rain today.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Totally agree. Human nature for the buyer to undervalue items they can't touch and see.

Ask a current buyer how much the "Blue Whale" model house costs. Most will tell you it cost X dollars plus upgrades. Very few will include the 30 to 40K cost of the bond even though they are aware of it.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else

Last edited by npwalters; 01-18-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

The bond is The Villages equivalent of " plus shipping and handling".

Old 01-18-2021, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Totally agree. Human nature for the buyer to undervalue items they can't touch and see.

Ask a current buyer how much the "Blue Whale" model house costs. Most will tell you it cost X dollars plus upgrades. Very few will include the 30 to 40K cost of the bond even though they are aware of it.
Almost nobody will they consider part of the cost of living here.
Closed Thread

Tags
bond, price, back, zillow, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.