Do our parades require a permit? if not, should they?

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM
Default Do our parades require a permit? if not, should they?

Normally parades require a permit as the permit identifies the responsible organization and allows for lawful disregard of stop signs and temporary use of city streets. Local authorities are aware of the event and may want to be present.

My major concern is for the safety of those in the parade and any bystanders. Based on what I saw in the recent parade video clip, I could easily anticipate the potential for tempers to get out of control and possibly a physical confrontation.
Additionally, it appeared folks were standing in front of the golf carts. What if the driver accidentally stepped on the accelerator pedal? (and I do mean accidentally as I know it would not be done intentionally).

I fully support the concept of parades and those with different views, please do not get me wrong. I just don't want to see one of our neighbors having a life altering event.
If you agree, I suggest you contact the local authorities to show you support.

This is not intended to be a negative post, but a post of support for orderly and safe parades.

Your thoughts???

Last edited by TNGary; 06-30-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 AM
John41

I was thinking the same thing. During these uncivil times a parade permit should be available that requires protesters to stay 100 feet away.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

And if they do and then people ignore them is your suggestion arrest them and throw them in jail? Just fine them? How do you enforce? They do need permission to hold parades and events but it's not a "permit". Adding level's of bureaucracy because of the actions of a few would not get my vote.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

The clip you saw was a golf cart parade supporting a particular political candidate. No permit required. Our Village Social club had a golf cart parade supporting first responders, again, no permit or permission from any authority required. If it’s a large parade (St. Patrick’s Day type), where streets are blocked off and there are vendors, you need permission from the recreation Department. A protester on public property or homeless asking for “help” (County right away) as far as I know does not require a permit. If these should impede first responders or block traffic I believe they are ask to move to a different place. There are constitutional rights to peaceful assembly and freedom of speech and if denied by authorities remedy would be through the Courts.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:47 AM

Last time we rioted, we needed a permit to burn down building and torch police cars.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. During these uncivil times a parade permit should be available that requires protesters to stay 100 feet away.
Maybe hire some big, burly out of work bar bouncers to keep the peace? I am kidding of course....
Old 06-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

No "City" to issue a permit.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:07 PM

Back to the original question re: permits for parades. In the past, most golf cart parades have been on public roadways so the question of permits would be whether Sumter, Marion, or Lake counties have this requirement? Does anyone know the facts on this? The Villages does not have control over the public roadways including the areas around the Town Squares.
We have to remember that we are not a restricted, private, gate enclosed community
Old 06-30-2020, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Can't see the point of them anyway.
Parades are either preaching to the converted, or provoking the opposition.
Why the suprise when tempers fray?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
Back to the original question re: permits for parades. In the past, most golf cart parades have been on public roadways so the question of permits would be whether Sumter, Marion, or Lake counties have this requirement?

Give them a call if you care.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGary View Post
Normally parades require a permit as the permit identifies the responsible organization and allows for lawful disregard of stop signs and temporary use of city streets. Local authorities are aware of the event and may want to be present.

My major concern is for the safety of those in the parade and any bystanders. Based on what I saw in the recent parade video clip, I could easily anticipate the potential for tempers to get out of control and possibly a physical confrontation.
Additionally, it appeared folks were standing in front of the golf carts. What is the driver accidentally stepped on the accelerator pedal? (and I do mean accidentally as I know it would not be done intentionally).

I fully support the concept of parades and those with different views, please do not get me wrong. I just don't want to see one of our neighbors having a life altering event.
If you agree, I suggest you contact the local authorities to show you support.

This is not intended to be a negative post, but a post of support for orderly and safe parades.

Your thoughts???
If memory serves, I was informed that Rt.466, Morse Blvd., Stillwater Trail and Buena Vista Blvd. were county roads. When you left those roads and headed into Lake Sumter Landing you entered onto private property that is solely owned by the Developer of The Villages. This holds true for all of the town squares in The Villages. The Courtyard Villa complexes are also private property that is owned by the district they are located in. The Districts do not own any part of the Town Squares that fall within them. I have not heard that any of that has changed. If anyone knows otherwise, please inform.
That being said, the rights to free speech would end at the point when you entered onto the private property. The same would hold true if someone came onto your property and began an action or dialog that you disagreed with. You, being the property owner, can order the other person off your property or can have them forcibly evicted. That is your right and it over rides the right of the person on your property that you object to.
The Developer, being the sole owner of the Town Squares can make a rule where such parades are not allowed on his/her property and enforce them. The Developer can make a rule that does not allow particular signs to be displayed on your golf cart while it is on his/her property. The rule may include what you can wear as a slogan on your hat. I think that the Developer is taking a hard look at this right now. I do not think he/her are very happy about both sides that were shown in the video that went viral.
Now, there is a reasonable balance that can be achieved between all groups of people with differing perceptions of political and social orientation. There is representation within The Villages for the Republican Party, but none for the Democratic Party. Why not? When the Democrats had the same type of rally a couple of years back, there was a lot of name calling, egg throwing, swearing and gestures that were made. There was no outrage expressed over that. Why not?
There is a lot of sole searching that has to be done both by the Developer on how he/she wants to handle what happens on their property. I would hate to see a decision that decreases an individual's ability of self expression, but if that's what it will take to hold the peace, so be it!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 PM
Michael Charles

As mentioned LSL does not fall under the jurisdiction of the town of lady lake (for police) nor Sumter county for the sheriff's department.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:52 AM

If the Villages dosent condemn and prohibit such inflammatory parades such as the one that was highlighted by the "white power guy" someone will eventually get hurt. I feel that the Villages and the organizers of the event should be held legally responsible.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
If the Villages dosent condemn and prohibit such inflammatory parades such as the one that was highlighted by the "white power guy" someone will eventually get hurt. I feel that the Villages and the organizers of the event should be held legally responsible.
So you're saying that TV and the clubs that organize events that are distasteful to you should be held accountable for something that you or others do?

I of course am embarrassed that a member of the community where I live in said those hateful words. In no way can you expect anyone other than the ignorant and racist person speaking those words responsible.

"Legally responsible" What laws were broken?

Unfortunately, all people involved were exercising their right to free speech.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:14 AM

We no longer have normal
We have hate mobs destroying
Statues, property & people
Yesterday Provo UT mob demand people leave a car so they could beat them
Then shot into the car hitting the driver in the face
The driver speed through the crowd to hospital
We no longer have law & order
We have vicious mobs with no permits for mobs
Closed Thread

Tags
parades, support, permit, local, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.