Do water filters help? See photo.

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Do water filters help? See photo.

Do water filters help? You decide!

Just changed my filter set after about 11 months. Just 2 of us with relatively low water use (other than lots of flushing!). The bright white one in front is obviously the new one. The one on right is 1st in line (25micron, the 2nd is 10micron and the final filter is 5micron carbon block.). All that gunk would have been in our clothes, food & hair. Yuch. I cut open the first one and the dirt goes about 95% through it. This is not an advertisement for any particular filter so brand is not listed.We live in Amelia near Colony if it matters.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Gold member

We've had Nova water filtration systems in both of the homes we've owned here in TV. Wouldn't be without them.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

They do the trick. We have the Nova filters as well as their softener system which really made a difference in the water quality.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Where is your filter located, in the garage? Are they easy to connect? Would this go before or after a water softener. Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Check out Skip Smith on YouTube. Skip just did a video in the last couple days with the owner of Nova changing his filters and discussing them as well as the water softener.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Where is your filter located, in the garage? Are they easy to connect? Would this go before or after a water softener. Thanks

I would assume before (why would you send dirty water to the softener?) but not sure. Mine is in my garage where main water valve is located. It could be anywhere BEFORE the first faucet.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
They do the trick. We have the Nova filters as well as their softener system which really made a difference in the water quality.
We do too. Just had both installed a few weeks ago. We've used water softeners since the mid '80s, and also a water filter in our first TV house, but the Nova system with water softener (we use potassium chloride, not salt) is a huge improvement over anything we've ever had.

The water tastes amazing. Showering with the potassium chlorided water as opposed to the salt leaves you feeling squeaky clean.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Has anyone sent a used filter to a lab to see what is in it?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

We have used Nova system for the last two years and are very happy. Had difficulty getting past the taste and now, no problem. Also,do not need to have a water filter in our refrigerator since all our potable water is filtered as it enters the house. Did not see a need for water softener system at this time.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have heard good things from friends who have a Nova Water Filter.

My question is does it get rid of (what I think is) Calcium that leave residue and deposits on everything?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

My question is does it get rid of (what I think is) Calcium that leave residue and deposits on everything?
Nope.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Nope.
I have to differ with that. the main reason we wanted the softener was to get rid of the white residue around our bronze fixtures, it ended immediately and have not had a calcium build up or iron stains anywhere since installing the Nova softener and filter system, it has been well over a year since the installation. We too use the potassium pellets and noticed the difference as soon as we used the shower for the first time. Water tastes great, ice cubes are clear and the Nova system is so much less expensive than the others brands that are offered around town. we have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Those look exactly like the one they pull out of ours. I called the water department to see why there is so much sediment in the water and they told me that was normal. They were going to have a manager call, but that has happen after a week.

Really glad we have ours, no stinky water and you can actually drink it.

Skip's video was great.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I have to differ with that. the main reason we wanted the softener was to get rid of the white residue around our bronze fixtures, it ended immediately and have not had a calcium build up or iron stains anywhere since installing the Nova softener and filter system, it has been well over a year since the installation. We too use the potassium pellets and noticed the difference as soon as we used the shower for the first time. Water tastes great, ice cubes are clear and the Nova system is so much less expensive than the others brands that are offered around town. we have no regrets whatsoever.
But you won't get rid of all the calcium deposits with just the water filter. It takes the softener along with it to get rid of the calcium deposits.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Nope.
I get this question almost every day.

Here's the breakdown of the spots, 10-15% calcium, 85-90% sediment.

The sediment sticks to the calcium, without a softener the Nova WHF will remove the all the sediment the remaining calcium is almost hard to see with the naked eye.

So two choices, clean it up 6-12 months with CLR for $3
or add a softener in addition to the WHF.

85% of of the homes in the main part of TV use only the WHF 15% added a softener, so it is not mandatory it is an option.

In Fenney the water has a higher calcium level there about 45% have our softener.

Again many are satisfied with just the WHF @ only $575+tax

A softener added to the WHF is $899

Tags
water, filter, filters, gunk, opened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.